Author Topic: The phone rang  (Read 8512 times)

The phone rang
« on: 06 June, 2020, 03:55:11 pm »
Hello, which audio are you using for your phone. I still use the default ringtone that the phone has. ;D ;D
I searched and installed a lot of new free ringtones. You can access and download websites for free ringtones for your phone at: https://klingeltonekostenlos.de/whatsapp/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The phone rang
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:20:32 pm »
Monty Python's spam song for me...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBcY3W5WgNU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mBcY3W5WgNU&rel=1</a>

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:56:20 pm »
Have had the ITV TDF music for years.
Great until someone rings as you are riding past someone else  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:52:08 pm »
I can safely say that I am the only one on the world with my ringtone, because I made it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2020, 08:14:15 am »
Ride of The Valkyries - the deep, rising crescendo seems to cut through background noise. People nearby seem bemused by it. Drew the line at 4+h of Wagner, though.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2020, 08:24:02 am »
The Joe 90 theme.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2020, 08:24:48 am »
One of the stock ones - sounds like a real phone.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2020, 08:30:33 am »
Mine is Hawaii-5-0, dating from pre-polyphonic phones, it was one of the better translations into tonal beeps, is instantly recognisable and hearable - for my money the reason you personalise your ring tone. Kept for old times' sake, still makes people smile, too.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:21:24 am »
I find many of the supplied ringtones too high pitched and difficult to hear in a noisy environment. So I use a bit of solo baritone saxophone. I was going to record my own but got lazy and pinched 'Bar Emergence II' by Celine Bonacina off her album 'Vue D'en Haut'. I'd have put a link to it but failed to find it on the interwebs. There's various clips of her playing other stuff on Youtube if you like that sort of thing - such as.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:04:45 am »
I'd have put a link to it but failed to find it on the interwebs.

There is a 30 second sample here.
Cheers! That's the beast. Unfortunately it doesn't have the beginning which is the bit that gets my attention.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:07:41 am »
I used to have the psycho geese from the end of Bike, from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I have reverted to a stock ringtone.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:34:30 am »

Cheers! That's the beast. Unfortunately it doesn't have the beginning which is the bit that gets my attention.

OK, how about this, I phone you, hold the phone up to the computer

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:42:31 am »
John Cage.  Never need to answer at all.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:50:51 am »
John Cage.  Never need to answer at all.

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:54:53 am »
Leo Kottke's arrangement of "Bill Cheatham*" featuring Carl Hand on dobro.

For txt msgs, "Wooden Chicken" by Jesus Couldn't Drum.

* no, not the former Stooges roadie, because he's dead
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2020, 10:55:08 am »

OK, how about this, I phone you, hold the phone up to the computer
;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:28:54 am »
It depends on who’s calling. Dr B causes a Robin to twitter loudly at me, master Beardy is a dog barking, various other bespoke sounds for the girls, and a bell ringing for default. I’m disappointed that I have not been able to find a good rendition of a UK tele 700 type powered by Post Office Telephones ringing Current. I lack the knowits to mollish the same in software.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:37:18 am »
Mine is Hawaii-5-0,

Mine too. May or may not be the version by The Ventures. I know it from the tom-toms intro but most don't recognise it until the pah-pah-pah-pah-pom-pom cuts in.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:57:41 am »
Tour de France team car horn for phone calls - it's quite insistent!

A short burst of Bicycle, Bicycle from Queen's track of that name for text notifications

Both are short clips I made from the full tracks.

Past stuff has been :  Liberty Bell (a.k.a. Monty Python theme), Bridge over Troubled Water and the "Lance is King" Abba Dancing Queen spoof before he was de-throned.

Rob

« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:10:55 pm »
I'm currently using the intro to the Hanoi Rocks rendition of Up Around The Bend.

Previous ring tones I have used have included the theme from Dangerman, the Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back and the overture to Carmen.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:19:48 pm »
I have this delight on mine.

https://bigsoundbank.com/detail-0451-iphone-ringtone-alarm.html

The first time I heard it on someone's phone, I was on  a train in a station.
My instinct was to run for the doors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:27:07 pm »
If we're having a serious thread about this, my real answer is Call Connected Thru The NSA.  I used to be firmly in the xkcd://479 camp (indeed, insisting on an appropriately electronic ring, rather than a recording of a mechanical bell), until I realised that I was annoying people (including myself) on trains by not recognising that it was my phone doing the ringing.  I hardly ever get voice calls, but when I do, it's probably important.

I have a 33k6 modem handshake as an SMS notification.  This started as a joke (you can tell how old people are by how they react to it), but I've kept it because the broad frequency spectrum means it's surprisingly good for hearing on a moving bicycle.

I have that bird that sounds like a rubbing disc brake for twitter, and an untitled goose honk for IRC.  Some appropriate generic system noise for email.

While we're at it, the deaf alerting system I molished for barakta plays noises (yes, I know, but it's useful some of the time), and there's a directory full of wav files and appropriate mappings to events.  Highlights include Rod Hull and his cast of drama students for the doorbell, the ST:TOS comms whistle for generic reminders, an appropriately submarineish PING! (one ping only) for manual pings, Talkie Toaster for anything relating to bread, the Red Dwarf food dispenser for anything relating to fish, a lemming saying "OhNo!" for power failure, Oscar the Grouch sings about how he loves trash when it's bin night, and Trimphone samples in appropriate cadences[1] for the phone ringing.  The fire alarm is, rather boringly redundantly, a sample of the fire alarm.

[1] I have asterisk programmed to do a Leftpondian single ring for internal calls, and a triple ring for calls from someone (after a database lookup on the caller ID) we might actually want to talk to.

« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »
I have this delight on mine.

https://bigsoundbank.com/detail-0451-iphone-ringtone-alarm.html

The first time I heard it on someone's phone, I was on  a train in a station.
My instinct was to run for the doors.
Snap (at least on my work phone). Set to full volume. Impossible to ignore.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23 on: 07 June, 2020, 01:36:11 pm »
I did have a recording of me saying "ring ring, ring ring, ring ring". Not sure why I turned that one off.
Rust never sleeps

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 07 June, 2020, 01:37:22 pm »

Obligatory xkcd...

https://xkcd.com/2272/
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/