Author Topic: Hills  (Read 10269 times)

Hills
« on: 19 October, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
I'm occasionally leafing through "50 quirky bikes rides" and was just looking at one ride which was talking about Chimney Bank in Yorkshire, and has the following to say about climbing:

"There are three techniques for making an uphill hack go more quickly: (1) Guess how many pedal revolutions it will be to the top, and count down; (2) Swear copiously; (3) Get off and push."

I've used all of those at one time or another, but generally I'll just stare at the road immediately in front of my wheel, and keep going.  Looking ahead to see how far is left to go is a bad move.  This technique is not recommended where there are likely to be obstacles, like parked cars, as they can come as a big surprise!

What methods do you use, to get yourself up those steep climbs without going too do-la-la ?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: Hills
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »
Knowing how far it is to the top and pacing myself.

With *big* hills I often put in a waypoint in at the summit with a indication of the height. That way I can see how far up there is to go and how far along the road to do that remaining climb.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2008, 07:18:29 pm »
Head down, drop through the gears and keep grinding away.  If things are really tough I may stop for a minute to catch my breath then get back on the bike.  One important lesson I've learned while using the 'take a break' technique: don't try to start from a dead stop on a hill while in bottom gear, especially not while clipped in!  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »
At the foot of the hill go down a few teeth at the rear and drop on the second chainring ring at the front, then pace myself up (on gears). Attack, attack, attack (on fixed in particular)  ::-). I usually stare at the road just ahead of me too and look ahead from time to time to pace myself. Knowing the hill does help!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2008, 03:42:03 pm »
Find a road which goes round the hill...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2008, 03:48:39 pm »
As has already been said, stare at a fixed point just ahead of the front tyre.

Pace your breathing and your cadence, and concentrate on that.

Think about the lovely sweet decent on the other side.

Start singing the most obscure, irritating Europop song you can think of and tell yourself you will not stop singing it until you get to the top.

Some or all of these have worked for me in the past, either individually or in combination...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

dehomag

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »
I like to drop to the back of the group I am with, if I am with a group, so I can overtake everyone, chatting to each rider as I pass. Get to the front of the group then no one can see me suffering.

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:46:31 pm »
... chatting to each rider as I pass. Get to the front of the group then no one can see me suffering.

Doesn't this rely on you having spare breath whilst overtaking them? ;D

If you can still talk, it's clearly not a properly steep hill, or you're not going fast enough!

dehomag

« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:49:12 pm »
... chatting to each rider as I pass. Get to the front of the group then no one can see me suffering.

Doesn't this rely on you having spare breath whilst overtaking them? ;D

If you can still talk, it's clearly not a properly steep hill, or you're not going fast enough!

Faster than the others is fast enough.  No need to show off

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »
Swear.

A lot.
It is simpler than it looks.

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2008, 05:31:47 pm »
Relax every bit of my upper body, look just in front of the wheel and shift the cadence to about 70-80rpm then enjoy the pain!

« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2008, 06:06:16 pm »
My technique for getting up a hill that I am not 100% confident I'll be able to ride up is to never over-exert myself near the bottom, i.e. always try to just tick over the pedals and leave as much in reserve as possible.

Knowing at what point to resort to that 100% effort is key.

To misjudge the effort, and to round that bend in the road and see that in fact the steepest section is still to come (and I've nothing left in reserve), is always the worst scenario for me...

Really having the confidence to know that with enough bloody-mindedness I can get up just about anything generally does the trick.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2008, 07:27:51 pm »
Swear.

A lot.

Ah, the NSTN approach to hill climbing. ;D

<fx: mallards and runs off before she notices>

« Reply #13 on: 20 October, 2008, 07:35:47 pm »
My technique for getting up a hill that I am not 100% confident I'll be able to ride up is to never over-exert myself near the bottom, i.e. always try to just tick over the pedals and leave as much in reserve as possible.

Knowing at what point to resort to that 100% effort is key.

To misjudge the effort, and to round that bend in the road and see that in fact the steepest section is still to come (and I've nothing left in reserve), is always the worst scenario for me...

Really having the confidence to know that with enough bloody-mindedness I can get up just about anything generally does the trick.

That's what I do too. Most people start a hill too fast and about three quarters of the way up, slow right down. I don't attack a hill, unless it's not too tough, or I know that I can get the momentum to get me at least to the top without hurting myself (but not always ;D)
Pacing yourself is the thing to do.
On fixed, I sometimes have to plan where I will need to attack just to keep my pedals turning and not stall and where I can rest and recover for the attack of the next steep bit. Having good balance can make a big difference. It allows you to go slower.

« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2008, 07:42:13 pm »
Swear.

A lot.

Ah, the NSTN approach to hill climbing. ;D

<fx: mallards and runs off before she notices>

Oi! I haven't done that for around six months now  O:-) Even on Ditchling Beacon.

Being next to me on a bit of bumpy off-road is a different matter  ::-)

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2008, 07:49:56 pm »
My approach to hills goes something like;

1. Oh! Hill. I am a sturdier cyclist with tough legs. I can do this.
2. Oh. Hill. Bugger. Ouch. Actually, I am rubbish at this.
3. Change down.
4. Get overtaken.
5. Change down.
6. Sing to myself to keep my spirits up.
7. Remember that I am tone deaf and wasting breath.
8. Change down.
9. Get overtaken by a snail.
10. Try to change down. Discover that I am already as low as can be.
11. Weep.
12. Get off and push.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:06:46 pm »
I've ridden a good number of Pennine Hills (though few beyond that, so Andean peaks & Alpine cols are outside my experience).

Many would say that I am not the best to comment on this thread (mainly those who've seen me ride up a hill ;D ), but I've got over a lot of stuff just by keeping going.

And there's the added issue that, being asthmatic, my fight is more about oxygen than metres...

But here's my advice anyway:

1.  Gravity is your friend.  If you're in rolling country, make the best use of the momentum you've got from descending.

2.  Don't, on the other hand, try to rush any but the smallest of rises.

3.  Change a wee bit before you think you need it.

4.  Don't be afraid to spin - there's no medals for shoving a massive gear.

5.  Sit down!  Until you're in your bottom gear, there's nothing to be gained from staying in a high gear and standing up, which will adversely affect your next change.

6.  When you do stand up, don't throw the bike about; keep it in a good line.

7.  Your next gear down after standing on the pedals is getting off to walk.  Don't be afraid to do it unless you're in a race.  The change of position can help your legs recover a bit before you set off again - faster.

8.  When you get to the top, don't change up straight away, unless you're straight off down another drop (not often in the Pennines - it's usually flat for a bit, or another rise :-\ ).  A few slow strokes without a load can help your legs recover quickly.

There's two more things to consider before going up a hill:

-1.  Lube your chain!  If you're climbing, you want that bit of metal string to swap cogs smoothly under strain.

-2.  Drink before you start climbing.  If you know there's a big haul on the way, get hydrated, cause it ain't so easy on the up.

I find singing heavy metal pretty helpful on the way up.  Quietly and out of tune as I struggle, maybe, but it helps me energise.
Getting there...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:14:39 pm »
Living in Sheffield, there are quite a few hills round here...
I do over 800m  (~2500 feet) per day on the commute.
I have found that hills are just a state of mind.  ;)
Most of the hills I do are longish - the longest is ~6km at 2-10%; average 5%. (Nothing like alpine climbs, I know, but I've been there and done some of those too....)
My preferred technique is to pace myself to generate the amount of energy I am happy to sustain - usually between 200 and 300 watts or so depending on the day of week, state of tiredness, time of month, mood, etc. and then just keep going at that rate and enjoy it. If the hill gets steeper, slow down; if the hill gets shallower, speed up. I also tend to keep up the same level of energy expenditure on the rare bits of flat as well - usually at 20+ mph....
As a result, I thoroughly enjoy the hills now - you get to the top when you get there and that is all there is to it! It may not be the fastest way of doing it but I prefer it. Having said that, I don't get overtaken very often although that could be due to the paucity of cyclists rather than my skills as a hill climber :D
In recent months, I have been toying with the idea of going fixed and have tried doing all my hills on 67 inches (42x17). This is not much different in terms of power output but does require a bit more muscle strength because the cadence drops. I have not found it any slower; just a little harder on the legs by the end of the week!

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:32:12 pm »
My approach to hills goes something like;

2. Oh. Hill. Bugger. Ouch. Actually, I am rubbish at this.
3. Change down.
4. Get overtaken.
5. Change down.
6. Sing to myself to keep my spirits up.
7. Remember that I am tone deaf and wasting breath.
8. Change down.
9. Get overtaken by a snail.
10. Try to change down. Discover that I am already as low as can be.
11. Weep.
12. Get off and push.

2. Oh. Hill too big a gear. Bugger. Ouch. Actually, I am rubbish at this.
3. Change down. "no chance, dig deep"
4. Get overtaken. "sometimes"
5. Change down. "No chance, dig deeper"
6. Sing to myself to keep my spirits up. "Try and keep breathing steady and lungs inside chest"
7. Remember that I am tone deaf and wasting breath. "pardon" gasp!
8. Change down"No chance dig even deeper"
9. Get overtaken by a snail. "No I can still just outwalk a snail"
10. Try to change down. "no chance" Discover that I am already as low as can be. "err I knew that at the start of the hill" ;D
11. Weep. "cadence slows to a standstill and track stand"
12. Get off and push. "or fall off still clipped in" ::-)

I'm with Teethgrinder on this, you get to know what and how you can get up different hills, the problem is an unknown hill that surprises you around a corner.  :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:34:54 pm »
Don't think about how long it is or might be.
Find a rhythm.
Get all negative thoughts out of my mind.
Fixed point on road is good but I invariably look up too.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
+1 for staring just ahead of front wheel (to check I'm actually moving).

« Reply #21 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:49:08 pm »
On really steep banks the main thing that keeps me going is stubbornness (though I have walked up a couple of >20% climbs recently on fixed).  The steep bit of this really did feel as though I was trying to ascend a wall.  But I got up it, and I'm hardly a prime specimen. 

I don't think about it much - overthinking tends to put me off.  But, if the climb's a bit easier, looking at the views is a good distraction.

« Reply #22 on: 20 October, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »
Last weekend, riding my new (to me) shopper on the Autumn Colours 100 I caught that Finch bloke going up to Wheddon Cross. Then, having got him to admire my bike, I couldn't hold his wheel, even after he'd told me he "hadn't done anything since June."

I go best on 'humply' stuff where you can swoop down so as to maintain momentum as far as possible up the next incline, trickle over the top, and repeat.

Long hills, unless they're just too steep, get easier as the legs warm up and I can get into a rhythm.

« Reply #23 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:04:40 am »
Oh.

Are we meant to cycle up these things then?

I usually walk up whilst chatting to Regulator....  ;)
Abnormal for Norfolk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:24:59 am »
Mrs Wow and I don't get off for many hills, but we don't go very quickly either.

I wouldn't recommend Mrs. Wow's method for getting up the nasty 1 in 6 git just after the Nick of Pendle. I was straining every muscle, pulling on the bars for extra leverage, popping my kneecaps just to keep the bike moving. Then, I heard the sound of a zip being undone as my beloved decide to lose a layer of clothing. Neither hand on the bars, not much energy being generated. "She's not pedalling at the back!" has never been so true.

We didn't make it and walked for a couple of hundred yards. It was close, but there was too much traffic and steering the tandem in a straight line at 2 mph when under great pressure is not all that easy.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.