Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164293 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15125 on: 12 September, 2020, 07:54:48 pm »
Swapped the front wheel off the fixie in order to service (see DT SWISS 240 thread  :o )

Swapped stock saddle (Fizik Arione) off new Supersix Disc and fitted Specialized Toupe. Rummaged around in toolbox looking for Mavic bearing preloaded tool, and found 3 of them. Took disc off front wheel to tighten preloaded and remove play.  Fitted new SPD-SL cleats to shoes ( 2-piece VP ones that make it easy to maintain previous position.

Didnt ride bike.

« Reply #15126 on: 12 September, 2020, 08:03:53 pm »
Finished the front ‘guard on the Domane. Stuck the summer bike on the turbo, and decided to check the rear tyre as it kept slowly deflating. Not sure why, but the sealant I put in a couple of weeks ago had all set. I’ll let it dry out and clean it all off, and reinstall. Might as well check the front too as I have a spare wheel I can use for the turbo. 

Dug the old sound bar out of the loft to improve the Zwift sound on the shed TV / laptop combo.

Loosely fitted  some grey keo cleats to the new Fahrenheit winter boots.

ETA: Took the front tyre off, and sealant was still liquid. However the Effetto Mariposa “granules” I added some time ago that are supposed to help seal larger holes had all clumped together in two spots. Won’t be using them again.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15127 on: 13 September, 2020, 02:45:49 pm »
Retaped the bars on my trike and refitted the Garmin mount.

Was going to replace the sealant in HK’s Kinesis but discovered multiple cracks in the rear rim. Contacted Hunt Wheels to get a replacement rim and rim tape sent over for me to swap.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15128 on: 13 September, 2020, 04:32:56 pm »
The cranks have been on the Jim Bundy for a while, so I retorqued the bolts, then took them out, cleaned the threads andcrefitted them with threadock.  Won't touch them again until the BB needs attention.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15129 on: 13 September, 2020, 06:58:50 pm »
A fly-tipped full suspesion BSO for a local lad to use as a trailer puller.

A young local guy advertised for some scrap bikes to make a trailer to haul his gardening tools as he is starting a gardening and garden woodwork business.

I gave him an old trailer I had built for hauling a 120 litre tank of water to the allotment, but don't use anymore - based on a bit of scaffold tower, and wheelchair wheels. I ordered some more releasable track-rod ends as I hadn't any spare (I use these as trailer hitches).

He was also looking for a bike to pull it, and last weekend, I spotted a flytipped one near the allotments.

This afternoon, I have stripped it of components and paint, resprayed it (2 coats of primer, 2 of colour), rebuilt it (had bottom bracket, headset, suspension bushes etc out) and set up gears & brakes!  :smug:

...and delivered it  - the neighbours were out having a chat when I set off riding my bike while 'driving' the repaired bike by holding the stem - Neighbour  commented "now that's just taking the piss..." as I rode off.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #15130 on: 13 September, 2020, 08:52:18 pm »
A brick-built outhouse for our pond filter. To conceal the filter and its washing-up bowl sump.  It's modelled on a netty of course.
Move Faster and Bake Things

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15131 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:52:26 am »
serviced five items (a push buggy, two balance bikes, kick scooter and a bike) for my nephews. mainly tightening, adjusting, pumping up and fixing slow puncture. dunlop valve inner tubes just about work with a presta pump.

« Reply #15132 on: 14 September, 2020, 04:19:30 pm »
A bit of Trice seat fettling. The mesh seat needing cleaning up, so I got around to removing it and washing the mesh back and cord in the sink, which I then hung up over the sink to drip dry. Leading to MrsH commenting on the weird corset thing in the kitchen  :)

Then found that the upper bit of the seat frame, where there would be some flex in use, had cracks in the powder coat which allowed the aluminium tubes underneath to fur up. So that got taken off down to the lower bits where it was sound, sanded down to bare aluminum (which was structurally sound), then painted with hammerite special primer and a few top coats of smoothrite. Hopefully that'll be good enough for another couple of decades.

Once that's dried, I'll be looking at the clamps for mounting the seat. Previous owner had been using hose clips rather than the cateye mount ones that were standard at the time as he found them easier and more reliable. I'll probably try some Mikalor stainless clamps.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15133 on: 14 September, 2020, 04:25:33 pm »
Completed the timber work for the extension to the shed (waiting for roofing felt to arrive), sorted out lots of stuff and loaded the newly-built shelving using some very useful bins from a well-known online grocer (They're not just plastic bins, they're . . .   )   

Fitted hanging racks for two of our bikes to live in there for the winter.  Extension will be used to over-winter garden chairs and protect some ladders and trestles from the weather.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15134 on: 14 September, 2020, 08:17:59 pm »
Swapped some M536 SPDs from the MTB to the singlespeed.  I have decided that M324s suck.  They are heavy, ugly, reduce cornering clearance and the cages gouge everything in the shed.

Bought some NOS M747s for the MTB, which are the right period and grade (XT) for it.  And remarkably cheap for one of Shimano's best-ever pedals.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15135 on: 14 September, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
Rearranged one of the kitchen cabinets so I could fit my bread proofer in it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15136 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:34:35 pm »
I'm in bearing hell.

I replaced the rear hub bearings on my Fulcrum 5 wheel, which was fairly straightforward. I also replaced the bottom bracket on the same bike as I thought the bearings were creaking, but the creak's still there.

And the rear hub bearings need replacing on my Dave Yates, and the only UK supplier I could find with Phil Wood bearings in stock charge a fortune, but I thought fuck it, they last for thousands and thousands of miles. Shame they sent mismatched bearings, really. I've emailed them, hopefully they'll sort it out quickly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15137 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:46:02 pm »
The collapsed net curtains in the Great Hall, the lack of which having been spoiling the TdF in recent days.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15138 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:51:28 pm »
I have fettled nothing. Howsumdiver, I have GALMI to do Bathroom Modifications. Consequently when I arrived home my old bathroom was neatly stacked on the communal landing. The new bathroom is still in boxes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15139 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:17:56 pm »
I have GALMI
Learned Man? Little Man? Large Man? Legal Man? Ladies' Man? Lazy Man? Leggy Man? Lizard Man?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15140 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:55:43 pm »
I have GALMI
Learned Man? Little Man? Large Man? Legal Man? Ladies' Man? Lazy Man? Leggy Man? Lizard Man?
In this case Little, although he's closer to average in height really.
I'll watch him for lizard tendancies, just in case.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15141 on: 15 September, 2020, 01:15:13 am »
I have GALMI
In this case Little, although he's closer to average in height really.
I'll watch him for lizard tendancies, just in case.

I am the Lizard King by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15142 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:21:26 am »
Actually washed out a varnishing brush yesterday instead of wrapping it in plastic for today's slip-slap-slop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15143 on: 16 September, 2020, 07:54:18 am »
trued the turbo trainer rear wheel using the brake as a guide, not perfect, but enough that it no longer catches the magnets as they close towards the rim.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

« Reply #15144 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:33:02 pm »
A new RH PD-9000 axle kit arrived from Taiwan, so I rebuilt the pedal, fitted them both to the Team Carbon and went for a 35 mile ride.  We saw a chap looking a bit list near Cerney Wick with a broken spoke.  Not much we could do to help with that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15145 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:29:07 am »
Put handlebar tape on the arms of my office chair.

« Reply #15146 on: 17 September, 2020, 10:37:03 am »
Should have gone to Specsavers? :D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15147 on: 17 September, 2020, 01:18:44 pm »
Should have gone to Specsavers? :D

You'd think.  Nah, years ago I gashed an elbow and the pad never grew back properly. The chair arms are bloody hard.

« Reply #15148 on: 17 September, 2020, 02:30:02 pm »
Oh I figured it was intentional really but the image of confusing a chair for a bike amused me
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #15149 on: 18 September, 2020, 06:28:40 am »
I'm in bearing hell.

I replaced the rear hub bearings on my Fulcrum 5 wheel, which was fairly straightforward. I also replaced the bottom bracket on the same bike as I thought the bearings were creaking, but the creak's still there.

And the rear hub bearings need replacing on my Dave Yates, and the only UK supplier I could find with Phil Wood bearings in stock charge a fortune, but I thought fuck it, they last for thousands and thousands of miles. Shame they sent mismatched bearings, really. I've emailed them, hopefully they'll sort it out quickly.

Phil Wood just use NSK and NTN bearings. You could always buy them from a non-bike shop.