Author Topic: Recomend some 20" tyres, please.  (Read 2361 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Recomend some 20" tyres, please.
« on: 07 November, 2008, 05:21:35 pm »
On my folder I have some Schwalbe Stelvio tyres and they have had their day in the sun. Worn out in less than 1300 miles and is not better than Swiss cheese with holes in them in keeping the fairies at bay. And they are not living up to what they are advertised to be.

A RaceGuard Belt provides puncture protection: it consists of two carcass layers, between which is sandwiched a virtually impenetrable rubber compound.

So can anyone recommend me some 20" tyres that are fast, grippy, thin around the 1" mark in width and above all puncture proof.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Recomend some 20" tyres, please.
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2008, 05:23:53 pm »
In a word, no.

Stelvios are the only tyre that you can inflate to 120psi and is vaguely racy that I've come across in that size.

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »
Continental do the Grand Prix in a 406x28:
Conti Grand Prix
But I haven't tried them.

I've had Stelvios and Marathons on my Moulton.  I can't really tell the difference, in terms of rolling resistance, between them.  The Marathons are 40mm, IIRC and 100 PSI.
I also have Conti Top Touring in 406x37mm, but these aren't made anymore, and their replacement (Top Contact) are not available in that size.  Edit: Contact are available in this size but the rec PSI is somewhat low:
Conti Contact
Edit 2: Conti seem to do loads of tyres in this size.  Here's another:
Sport Contact

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:08:52 pm »
I use Schwalbe Marathons on most of my 20" wheeled bikes. Happy with them so far. I run them at 80 - 90 psi.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2008, 08:53:53 pm »
Yeah I got my eyes on the Marathons but I would like to get them nice and thin.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit