Author Topic: 700c disc brake clincher rims, 32/28 hole, matt black for 35mm tyres?  (Read 704 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Use being utilitarian rather than sporting.

A lot of the ones I've looked at don't seem to bother with eyelets - and I'm from a generation where that suggested flimsy/cheap?

Reason = new e-bike has dreadful wheels.

With two of my ancient steel bikes, I happily built wheels with shiny H Plus Son TB14 rims, which I like muchly. So could go with the black version in this instance?

Any other suggestions?

(matt black requirement cos I is trying to get more with it/up to date - and shiny black looks cheap?)

EDIT - 32/28 is that and/or?  These two are not available 28.
Halo White Line Classic are nice and eyeleted. Website shows the  version with a machined brake track, but they are available all black. 18mm internal, which puts your tyre size towards the top of the spec, though mine are fine with 40's.  I'm not sure I'd call them matt, but they'e not shiny either.
https://www.halowheels.com/shop/components/rims/white-line-classic-700c-rim/

Heavier duty, there's the Ryde 321, wider at 21mm int, the spec says 28 - 65mm tyres, I've used them with 40 and 55 and I would call them matt.  They're not eyeletted, but the extrusion is thicker at the spoke hole.
https://www.ryde.nl/andra-321/

That exhausts the rims I know that meet your criteria, there's probably loads of others, I've only used these.

I've recently taken delivery of a pair of H Son Hydra rims built 28H/32H.
They are black except for the white writing on part of the rim.
I'm currently running them with 32mm tyres but I'll probably put 35mm on when the current set wear out.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
EDIT - 32/28 is that and/or?

More than happy with 32 holes (only considered both as the bike came with 32 rear 28 front)

Thanks for both suggestions Paul H :thumbsup: I've built a few sets of wheels with Halo Whiteline in the past and found them to be more than satisfactory - didn't realise they came in ALL black as well.

The Andra look good too and note the thicker extrusion so no need of eyelets (which rust anyway on our salted winter roads)

I've recently taken delivery of a pair of H Son Hydra rims built 28H/32H.
They are black except for the white writing on part of the rim.
I'm currently running them with 32mm tyres but I'll probably put 35mm on when the current set wear out.

:thumbsup: I would have had no qualms about those (apart from uppity cost), having been more than pleased with H Son TB14 as mentioned - BUT for the in yer face white bloody 'graphics' ::-). I may reconsider and accept it's the modern thing?

Many thanks to you both 🙏

The rear end of the frame is QR, so have decided on a Shimano XT Rear 6 bolt disc FH-M756A hub - with the love and ease of cup and cone annual maintenance). The front is 12mm thru axle, so will probably try a Kasai or SP dyno hub? (Having a spare SON Edelux 2 for the road illumination - albeit shiny black :-\?

slope

• Current pedalable joys

Heavier duty, there's the Ryde 321, wider at 21mm int, the spec says 28 - 65mm tyres, I've used them with 40 and 55 and I would call them matt.  They're not eyeletted, but the extrusion is thicker at the spoke hole.
https://www.ryde.nl/andra-321/

And only £25 each from SPA CYCLES

I feel like a punt on them :thumbsup: (as mentioned this is for a utilitarian bicycle)