Author Topic: The Full Fat Festive 500: 511 km of riding in the bleak midwinter  (Read 16348 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: The Full Fat Festive 500: 511 km of riding in the bleak midwinter
« Reply #50 on: 18 August, 2018, 06:02:04 pm »
This ride is a great addition to the calender, but beware the health warning. I would only ride in mild conditions as have come off on ice in dips when I thought it was ice free. Be careful very careful.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:28:01 am »
It's a form of natural selection. People who make important decisions based on the opinions of AnonymousUser666 on an open internet forum are fully deserving of their Darwin awards.

So you've never followed advice you read on the web, I take?
He's too busy handing it out !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #52 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:47:58 pm »
I went on an overnight ride at the end of november once (a before dinner dart, the year it snowed at the end of november)
I made various bail out plans, one of which I followed, on the basis that it was 2:00am, I was pushing the tiime limits and it would get colder and icier.  That was only a 200.  I was never cold, it just stopped seeming like a sensible idea.
I'd also point out LEL 2009 and hypothermia.
I suggest anyone doing the ride looks at the weather and makes suitable ail out plans.
It could of course be as mild as October was about 15 years ago.  At which epoch there were rather fewer BR over the winter.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #53 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:37:22 pm »
I went on an overnight ride at the end of november once (a before dinner dart, the year it snowed at the end of november)
I made various bail out plans, one of which I followed, on the basis that it was 2:00am, I was pushing the tiime limits and it would get colder and icier.  That was only a 200.  I was never cold, it just stopped seeming like a sensible idea.
I'd also point out LEL 2009 and hypothermia.
I suggest anyone doing the ride looks at the weather and makes suitable ail out plans.
It could of course be as mild as October was about 15 years ago.  At which epoch there were rather fewer BR over the winter.

yep this is all true
I've done commuting in the winter and ridden longer rides (not in winter for example PBP 2007) in bad conditions and won't start this unless I have a good feel for actually finishing

« Reply #54 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:58:33 pm »
I've been trying to remember a particular ride which was cancelled due to atrocious (snow and ice) weather conditions. It would have been 2000, 2001 or 2002 and, as I lived in Leeds at the time, it would have been somewhere Yorkshire-ish.

This was before most people had heard of e-mail or mobile phones so it was only when the hardy few turned up at the start that the organiser informed us that the ride had to be cancelled. However, he said, if anyone really wants to they can take a brevet card, complete the ride and he would validate it.

Did I say the conditions were bad? I fell off my bike riding across the car park. It was ludicrous!

And, naturally, most people who'd turned up decided to do the ride anyway. Me included.

Quite mad but memorable and extremely satisfying.  :thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #55 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:43:24 am »
GP4seasons have a modicum of grip if you are riding on wet roads with the odd patch of icy stuff. They will even grip ok on new snow.

Nonsense
That is my experience.
Gained from commuting 25miles over snowy, icy roads. You may not find that the grip is great, however I found them far better than other tyres.

You see, I have to challenge your statement for the simple reason that it is damaging.

A guy in December will use Google to search "tyres for snow and ice" and will come across a thread on YACF where you claim that Conti GP 4 Seasons work well on ice patches as well as fresh snow. He will then buy them, sure in the knowledge that the internet is always right. He will inevitably end up in A&E...
At least if I suggest that it is "nonsense", he will think twice and maybe get something more appropriate
Where did I say they 'grip well on ice and snow'?

I said they "have a modicum of grip if you are riding on wet roads with the odd patch of icy stuff."

The emphasis there is wet roads with the odd patch of icy stuff.  You turned it into a recommendation for tyres for ice and snow. Stop twisting words.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #56 on: 21 August, 2018, 02:27:52 pm »
Tempting.

Is there any scope for a reverse route, Cambridge-Bristol-Cambridge or starting the route in a location other than Bristol?

« Reply #57 on: 08 September, 2018, 10:29:26 am »
Organiser here. Back from LEJOG with my son; he is amazing, finished off his Brevet 500 in the process, added a lego brick to the largest model in the world at Chester Cathedral and climbed Ben Nevis amoung other things!

Didn't expect to cause such a stir with this one.

Simply put I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. The statement is clear on the calendar page. As I have mentioned and someone has pointed out I have run this twice as a club DIY and now open it up to like minded people. I've experienced weather over both times from frozen water bottles 30km in with frost covered fields, glorious sunshine, warm night, freezing night, walls of wind and rain, no rain, no wind, tailwind.

From the freezing one the roads were clear bar one place early on the 2nd morning which I will identify prior to the event; otherwise frosty, we just took our time. The route is advisory so any entrant can choose an alternative if they wish based on the weather. Or should they decide DNS/DNF. Risk? Life is riddled with risk and we are all potentially a strain on any service/person in all walks of life at any moment. Access the risk, be prepared and act accordingly. ie buy some winter tyres in advance just in case!

If you are asking for advice about clothing, tyres, what to do if you get a mechanical in the middle of the night with no one around and cold fingers etc I suggest you try something else, probably shorter on the edge of your comfort zone before attempting this.

I've set up another post where those that have entered can communicate their accommodation, travel arrangements, campervan sharing (no problem with staying in a (camper)van parked on the road near the start) etc: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109457.0

Spaces are limited as my house will be HQ, and therefore no option of starting from else where especially if I join in; plus the controls are identified for their opening time availability, I'll also list other establishments and their opening times. Otherwise ECE is always an option  ;D

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #58 on: 09 September, 2018, 01:59:38 pm »
I'm in. It's a bold idea and it's worth a punt at nine quid......  and if you want an early December toe-in-the-water you could try this  http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JPE07/ . I'm retiring from organising calendar after next weeks Venetian Nights but I'll be running this as a just-turn-up group perm ( I have 17 cards to get rid of)  on whichever  of 8th or 15th December has mildest weather.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #59 on: 16 December, 2018, 03:23:05 pm »
I have decided to enter the event but plan on stopping at cambridge unless the weather and conditions are being unseasonably miraculous. As I'll be hoping to stop at a friend's for tea anyway. I will be back from a (very mild) operation on the 20th so this will be a fun way to jump back on the bike and push myself a bit. I've never done a poor weather Brevet before so this can be a warm up for bolder endeavours in early 2019.

But you never know...

Hope that is ok with you, organiser 🙌
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #61 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:52:52 pm »
Excellent briefing email today. This is an X++ ride! I will be booking  my breakfast at the Blundsden Premier Inn. Will, I'm interested in how many entries you have.

« Reply #62 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:47:33 pm »
Just helping people be properly prepared for the X-rated stuff. The ++ bit is because hopefully I'll be riding out with you guys to do a 300 and I want somewhere to have breakfast  ;)

I have more than I expected with a few waiting in the wings. Lets see what the turn out is like on the day.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:22:34 am »
Is your "Buckland" stop at the garden centre?

https://www.bamptongardenplants.co.uk/cafe

Cos if so I shall try to pop over.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:31:06 am »
No nothing as illustrious as that. Buckland Services on A46.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: 25 December, 2018, 05:27:04 pm »
Hello all. Has anyone got a GPX route for this ride? I plan to ride the route from Leighton Buzzard on Friday and so aim to arrive at the Official start in Bristol to start with the main pack although you will all quickly leave me behind. I couldn't bring myself to drive all the way to Bristol to then cycle past my house at 200K in. Apart from the extra time for the driving to the start I can also imagine that attraction of a warm bed at home would have been too much temptation as
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: 25 December, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »
Just to be clear I wasn't being cheap and trying to the avoid the far too reasonable cost of this ride. I just didn't think starting and finishing in a different place would meet the Audax ride rules. So just treating it as a DIY. Happy to pay organiser the fiver to get through GPX track. Thanks in advance.
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

bludger

Ban cars.

« Reply #68 on: 26 December, 2018, 12:12:08 pm »
Hello all. Has anyone got a GPX route for this ride? I plan to ride the route from Leighton Buzzard on Friday and so aim to arrive at the Official start in Bristol to start with the main pack although you will all quickly leave me behind. I couldn't bring myself to drive all the way to Bristol to then cycle past my house at 200K in. Apart from the extra time for the driving to the start I can also imagine that attraction of a warm bed at home would have been too much temptation as
Just to be clear I wasn't being cheap and trying to the avoid the far too reasonable cost of this ride. I just didn't think starting and finishing in a different place would meet the Audax ride rules. So just treating it as a DIY. Happy to pay organiser the fiver to get through GPX track. Thanks in advance.

I beg your pardon?

Not in the rules? Well your statement of intent is not in the spirit!

My email address is on the calendar page. You have had almost 6 months to contact me direct with your interest rather than using open avenues to try and acquire the GPX on Christmas day.

I would have been a lot more amenable had you contacted me direct and in advance. I would never just assume an organiser was cool with me just rocking up at their event HQ (my home) whilst copying their route but doing it as a DIY.

GPX are only available to those that have entered the ride. If you want to do it as a DIY - Do It Yourself

LMT

« Reply #69 on: 26 December, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »
^ Send a PM instead?

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: 26 December, 2018, 06:11:28 pm »
Apologies I absolutely meant nothing by this. I guess I completely misread the situation. I won't say anything more than that. Sorry.

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #71 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:55:58 am »
Weather forecast looking rather unwintery for this.
High of 13 tomorrow lunchtime, and the strongest of the westerly on the outbound leg.

What was all the fuss about!?

bludger

« Reply #72 on: 28 December, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
Cor I went and bought those super gravel tubeless thingies all for nothing.

The bike industry wins again!

On my way out to Bristol now 😬🤩

Ban cars.

« Reply #73 on: 29 December, 2018, 07:43:21 am »
Keeping my eye on this from the office. Not jealous at all.
Looking forward to reading some stories from the road.

bludger

« Reply #74 on: 29 December, 2018, 04:57:06 pm »
I apologise to Will for such a pessimistic title. It's a really cracking ride. Special thanks to the boss for cutting a deal with the wind Gods!

:thumbsup:

Ban cars.