Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick goes to Hay in a day, 200k, Tewkesbury Sept 1st  (Read 1437 times)

Mr. Pickwick goes to Hay in a day, 200k, Tewkesbury Sept 1st
« on: 19 August, 2018, 09:49:49 am »
Already fairly full,  last call for a pretty late summer 200 along quiet roads in three of the most rural english counties.

The ride leaves Tewkesbury and takes old drovers route through  Gloucestershire and Herefordshire to the Book Capital of Hay-on-Wye.  Then returning through the Herefordshire cider orchards, and pictiresque Worcestershire.

A benign route with the lumpiest bit either side of the first crossing of the river Wye.

Free light breakfast at the start, and weather garenteed.

First control at Allensmoor services (the Fortnum & Masons of the west), early lunch at Hay-on-Wye,  afternoon tea at Flowerdews tea rooms in Bromyard.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Mr. Pickwick goes to Hay in a day, 200k, Tewkesbury Sept 1st
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »
I heard good things about the Tewkesbury rides.
Do I need to decide ASAP if I am riding as you say it's 'fairly full'?
Thanks
Don't wait until you are on your death bed to tell people how you feel about them.....Tell them to **** off now.

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2018, 04:49:34 pm »
I heard good things about the Tewkesbury rides.
Do I need to decide ASAP if I am riding as you say it's 'fairly full'?
Thanks

I usually order a few extra cards, but a decision asap would be useful :) .
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2018, 11:14:00 pm »
Lovely ride, but hols mean I can’t make it this year :)
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:22:39 am »
Entry Closing tonight.

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:03:10 pm »
If you find yourself returning to Tewkesbury around 6.00pm, keep an eye out for Jasmijn Muller (duracellbunnyonabike) who is scheduled to pass through the High Street at about 6.02pm on her LEJOG record attempt. I'm sure any shouts of encouragement will be very much appreciated, but don't be tempted to join her unless you want to see her disqualified.

There's a separate thread covering her record attempt.

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:49:31 pm »
She'll be long gone by the time this full value rider gets back to Tewkesbury but good luck to her!

Does anyone know where we are meant to control in Hay? - the route sheet says the Tourist Information Centre but Mark's email says The Sandwich Cellar.

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:53:08 pm »
She'll be long gone by the time this full value rider gets back to Tewkesbury but good luck to her!

Does anyone know where we are meant to control in Hay? - the route sheet says the Tourist Information Centre but Mark's email says The Sandwich Cellar.

I'm not sure but helpfully they're right next to each other. The TiC is on the end of the alley on the right as you come up to the zebra crossing. The Sandwich Cellar is down the same alley on the left.

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2018, 05:44:05 pm »
I'm in for tomorrow. I rode this in 2016, when I was chasing the 40 points in the 40th year award. I needed 3 points and so ECE'd by GPX. The day started brightly, but turned to rain towards the end of the 200km. By the time I left The Royal Hop Pole, Tewkesbury it was like a monsoon. The whole 300km was recorded on my Garmin, but water damage meant that I couldn't download the ride. Having defied all of my attempts to dry the Garmin out, I ended up having to ride a 300km perm a couple of weeks later.