Author Topic: HP Guinness Sauce  (Read 1639 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
HP Guinness Sauce
« on: 11 March, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »
I saw this in the supermarket and, being a fan of both, had to try it.  I've given it a week or so, to try to be fair to it, but I'm finding it much too sweet, and lacking in the spiciness that I really like in HP.

I have left them the following feedback on their website contact form:

Hi,

Being a fan of both HP sauce and Guinness, I was quite intrigued to see the HP Guinness sauce in the supermarket.

I have tried it a few times now, and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed.  It seems *much* sweeter than HP sauce, which seems to be borne out by the fact that "glucose-fructose syrup" has moved up the ingredient list and the "carbohydrates, of which sugars" figure on the nutrition information has also increased (both compared to the standard HP sauce in my cupboard).

To describe it as "Combining the strong and smooth taste of Guinness with the distinctive flavour of HP" is, in my opinion, a bit misleading since neither HP nor Guinness are that sweet, and the essential tanginess of HP, provided by the vinegar and tamarind, is entirely lacking in the HP Guinness sauce.

Please move the base sauce for this to be closer to the "distinctive flavour of HP".  The current incarnation doesn't come particularly close to that.

The Guinness notes in it are nice, though!

Regards,
Mark

Why do food companies make products which are variants of existing ones much too sweet?  The last time I moaned at one, it was about Oatibix bites, which turn out to taste more like Sugarbix than the cereal they are based on!  >:(

(OK - that's only two examples, but... I'm sure I have more if I dredge my memory for long enough  :()
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: HP Guinness Sauce
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »
I liked it!  It complimented your excellent cooked breakfast excellently!