Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162366 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13600 on: 12 February, 2019, 05:52:37 pm »
Instructions? For a vacuum cleaner???

An exploded diagram might come in handy when reassembling a Dyson after unclogging it, I suppose.   :demon:

I can also imagine one being clever and refusing to operate because the crud collection device was full, thereby appearing to be broken.  I made that mistake[1] when investigating a fault with MIL's tumble drier once.

[1] Well, the version of the mistake where you've got the back off and are probing about with a multimeter to check for a failed element when you discover there's a box full of water with a float switch at the bottom that you've just tipped all over the floor and is now soaking your knees.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13601 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:13:45 am »
Instructions? For a vacuum cleaner???

Strange as it may seem.  In addition to a dust box & cover the thing has a primary filter, a HEPA filter and a couple of other bits that have to be detached and washed. Getting the primary filter back in was non-intuitive.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13602 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:48:20 am »
Cut an M5 thread onto a Jagwire barrel adjuster, as it'll be playing a key part, when I convert my Brompton from a 2-speed to a 3-speed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13603 on: 16 February, 2019, 09:21:32 pm »
Respaced a frame to 120mm for fixed (actually 121mm, it makes for less paint damage when inserting wheels), checked alignment again, respaced a wheel to 120mm by removing 3mm of spacers from each side*, and melted the lead loading out of the dents in the frame ready for new filler.

I was going to leave spacing at 126mm but there was rather a lot of unsupported axle on the LHS and it also means the bike can be tried with my 700c track wheels.

*ir's a QR hub so I need to file a couple of mm from the axle ends too
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13604 on: 17 February, 2019, 03:45:53 pm »
Som e odds and odds. After discovering that using a Sonos speaker over Ethernet was very hit and miss, I (more in hope than expectation) set up the Sonos “Boost”, a Sonos specific WAP that all Sonos speakers will default to and not get on your home WiFi channels. It’s sitting on the back bedroom windowsill, and, remarkably, connecting seamlessly with the speaker in the shed, a line of sight 37m away  :thumbsup:.

Then, with suitable musical accompaniment, I set about fettling the rear mudguard on the Genesis Equilibrium.  I’m running 28mm tyres (vs the 25mm max recommended) so things were a bit tight.  I first cut a notch to allow the front mech to move that 2mm more at the anchor point to clear the chain in 48/12.  Then a 6mm hole to relive the ‘guard where it met the front mech clamp bolt, the hole being internally masked with duct tape after. Then I started to sort out the slipping clamp at the brake bridge, only to manage to break the rivets (actually I think it was poorly done originally) holding the stay bridge in place, so that had to be drilled and bolted before I repositioned the clamp, re-clamped properly (used mole grips this time, then some side cutters) and finally rebolted  the stays up. Looking good atm with ample clearance. Time for a cuppa.

Next up I think I’ll recable the mechs, they’ve been on for 3 years, and retape the bars which still show the scars of my crash 5 years ago.  Then it’s off with the chainset, out with the BB, and run the dynamo wiring via the Di2 holes to conceal most of it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13605 on: 17 February, 2019, 04:18:05 pm »
Tried to mount my tyres tubelessly again.

First one mounted, but the thing is losing air through a spoke hole somehow. So I've ordered some more rim tape to try and make it work, assuming the sealant hasn't worked its magic overnight.

The last one wouldn't mount (using an airshot), and my track pump hose broke during a reinflation. So I admitted defeat.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13606 on: 17 February, 2019, 05:13:54 pm »
stitched the hole in my shorts made by skidding on my hip. re-alligned the mech hanger and adjusted the gears. de-burred scrape marks on various parts of the bike (caused by the same skid) with a mini grinder.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #13607 on: 19 February, 2019, 01:01:52 pm »
Ding dong the door bell rang and Lloyd from DPD handed me a package.

Inside were a pair of XLR interconnects for my hifi.

In recent months there has been a Denon AVR-X3400H sitting between my AudioLab 8200CD and a pair of AudioLab 8300MB power amplifiers.

So I disconnected the CD from the Denon and connected the 8200CD to the power amp with the new cables. I pressed the switch on the power amps telling it to use the XLR connection.  Started the CD player in change out mode and set it to variable volume.

Powered the power amps and was immediately impressed by how much better the sound was than through the AV receiver. I did not expect to notice.

I pressed the button on the power amps to use the phono connection and the Denon can continue to drive the power amp for its home cinema duties.

Good outcome.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13608 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:06:06 pm »
Filled the dents in the Holdsworth frame.  Also dismantled the Campag Record Pista hub that turned up.  Thought it was rusted to buggery inside but it was just dried grease.  Races pass the unforgiving ballpoint pen test.  65 on the locknuts, so one of the last made before they started engraving "RECORD" on the barrel - this is generally accepted to be the mid-60s.  And Brucey et al were right, the dustcaps are 28mm.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13609 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:19:02 pm »
Rearranged the gym/workshop side of the tandem garage. 

Involved removing bicycles, shuffling the contents around and sweeping as I go.  The hardest bit was moving the exercise floor which is an 8x8ft square of chipboard with ply on top. Both heavy and lots of friction.  Best method was a combination of brute force and levering it about with a spade.

That now sits in the far corner from the door, and will have some new matting. Need to work out exactly where the rower will sit, as it's just too long.

Stored bikes fit in along the wall next to the door, or hanging from the rafters, and there is now a large space immediately in front of the door for the new turbo trainer and another bike either in use or maintenance. The old gym matting will go under the turbo. 

The main advantage is that I'm now less likely to be tracking dirty bikes across the exercise floor which I ended up doing previously.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13610 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:49:05 am »
DT Swiss are bonkers: the skewer they supplied doesn't have a QR but a ratcheting lever, the idea being that you tighten it all the way up by hand to 15 Nm (emphasized by telling you twice), disengage the ratchet & rotate it to its final position, then check that the wheel is firmly ensconced by picking the bike up and whacking the tyre downwards and to Hell with your Raceblades.

Sounds like how you do up a thru-axle.

Aha. Any reason I shouldn't use a skewer?

ETA: the provided skewer is described as 'quick release'.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-23-road-rear-wheel-28700c-2667618

It's a QR ok, https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technology/components/rws-technology/ so yes you can use any QR skewer, it's the ability to reposition the lever once closed that's similar to the thru-axle axles.  :)

Yeah, I had another gander at the specs and figured that out. Takes the Q out of QR, though - berks.  I'll pass it on to someone I don't like.

Make sure it's someone you really don't like because the bastard things seize up something wicked

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13611 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:51:12 pm »
I've got most of an alloy 12x148 'Boost' axle and most of a matching Deore hub that are irrevocably corroded together. Cos you do that with dissimilar metals, don't you? Fit a 12mm 'skewer' thru a 12.2mm hollow steel axle and ride it through the mud...

The customer's bill was just shy of 300 quid.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13612 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:11:50 pm »
Lowered the seat tube bidon cage on HK's Kinesis with a Di2 battery adaptor. Works well and doesn't look too out of place amongst the Tripster's blue and black colour scheme.

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-7970-dura-ace-di2-battery-mount-adapter-00102255
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13613 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:36:15 pm »
Scored a 'dead' paper shredder, one which had been condemned by the outfit which does the PAT testing at my place of work.
The intention was to remove the duff motor and, having established the primary drive connection, acquiring a suitably matched hand crank from RS Components, thus converting it to manual drive.

Within an hour or so of getting it home I now have a working (and electrically safe) shredder which will munch its way through 12 cross-cut sheets of paper in one go, 1 cd at a time and 1 credit card at a time.
Result  :smug:

rogerzilla

« Reply #13614 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:27:56 pm »
I had a day off today, so first cut the fork crown and head tube on the rescued Holdsworth.  it had never been done; the steerer tube isn't in the crown particularly straight, which is a Holdsworth trait IME, and therefore the crown seat was nowhere near perpendicular to the steerer.  Took a lot of cutting to get a full shiny seat.  The head tube didn't need much facing.

Then attacked it with a rotary wire brush and sandpaper, hung it up and sprayed it with primer.  It can sit around until warmer weather now.

Last night I polished the rear Campag Record Pista hub.  The bearing cup on one side has the faintest signs of rust but the bearing track has escaped damage.  I bought a new axle for it; being chromed, these are way out of spec until you've run a (hopefully harder than the axle) cone up and down it a few times.  It was so tight that I had to check it was really 10mm x 26tpi by meshing it with another Campag rear axle.  All fine now, though.  Just need the new dustcaps to build it up.  To check the races before fitting any dustcaps, since these aren't something I want to remove again, I quickly assembled it with some grease and spare Grade 100 balls (I'm actually going to use Grade 10) and it feels fine.

« Reply #13615 on: 23 February, 2019, 08:58:10 pm »
It was sunny enough to tempt the kids out onto bikes. So did the inevitable adjusting and checking. Miss Dan the Elder’s has a broken barrel adjuster, Miss Dan the Younger has grown up and out of the bike she has. Which is handily times for her birthday.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13616 on: 23 February, 2019, 09:04:25 pm »
See the "i'm such a fecking div thread"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13617 on: 23 February, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »
Removed crankset and bb, then ran the dyno-light wire via the Di2 holes.  Replaced bb, went looking for Di2 bungs, found Chris King bb, so removed the fitted bb and fitted the CK one. Fitted the Toplight to the rack. Removed the Sector 28 tyres with Finish Line gunk in, cleaned up the rims, retaped one, and fitted the Fusion 5  All Seasons, to be pumped up and treated to Caffelatex later.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #13618 on: 23 February, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
Re-fangled the bonnet prop on Ickle Car, as it had de-holed itself from the thin plastic inner wing.
Swapped the bell on Saphira Trike since I couldn't get a "ping" out of the old one while I was wearing gloves.

« Reply #13619 on: 24 February, 2019, 01:12:36 pm »
Mounted the Fusion 5k# properly today, with nice new sealant, looking pretty good from the get go.  They’ve been left for an hour over lunch so I’ll be checking pressures soon. The Joe Blow Booster pump does a good job of seating the 28mm tyres, with residual pressure of around 3 bar. I think MTB tyres would be a struggle for it tho, not that I have any.

Found some decent Di2 bungs that have sealed nicely around the dyno wiring.

Now to clean the cassette and chainrings before refitting wheels, crankset and chain, and completing the wiring to the rear lights, I’m going to run the Toplight in parallel with the Seculite Plus mudguard lamp. Actually I’ll clean up the “hard to reach when the chainset’s on” areas first.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #13620 on: 24 February, 2019, 06:18:04 pm »
Wanted to cut a paving slab in the garden, so got out the Makita 9" disc cutter, which hasn't been used for at least 2 years.  It ran for 10 seconds, then stopped.  Bugger! 

Dismantled it, and cleaned out the brush holders which had corroded a bit (it had been stored in a wet shed, albeit in its nice plastic box).  They were preventing the brushes from being sprung onto the commutator.  Gave it a good clean out inside, and reassembled, and lo and behold, it works beautifully.  Satisfying, considering the mortality rate of power tools since we've moved.  In the first 3 months here, we lost a hedge trimmer, a circular saw, a leaf blower, and something else I forget.  I did not want the same to happen to my little used disc cutter, and thankfully, it hasn't.
Wombat

« Reply #13621 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:14:28 pm »
After successful fettling of the lights, replaced the plated bots in the stem with ss ones.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13622 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:03:47 pm »
This weekend I have, with the assistance of others  fettled years of accumulated stuffs into bags for the Rubbish Man to take and boxes for the charity shop. (Clearing the parental house,  innit).

I also reframed a photo Dad took, developed and printed back in The Olden Days.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13623 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:45:36 am »
Emptied the crumbs out of the toaster. C.f. Augean stables, etc. (No waterways were impacted.)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13624 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:23:50 am »
Started on first bike as I noticed lower jockey wheel was really a set of nubs covered in grease. Luckily had a spare jockey wheel. Used the new degreaser from Screwfix (5ltr for £8.99). i'm not paying for expensive lemon scented bike degreaser again. this stuff is great so used sparingly. years of accumulated road grime removed. Onto winter bike and found the top jockey wheel to be more or less seized so fortunately have a spare. same story with the degreaser. Commuting fixed then wiped down ready for the week. I have a rear derailleur extender to fit as I need to lower my gears slightly and the bikes have short cage mechs. 12-29 and 13-28 also to be fitted as well as new chainrings (on the way from Germany as they are considerably cheaper there - despite the shipping cost)