Author Topic: The badly-named businesses thread  (Read 114099 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The badly-named businesses thread
« Reply #475 on: 28 August, 2021, 03:55:46 pm »
The nearby Chinese supermarket has changed its name to Feel The Oriental In You  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #476 on: 28 August, 2021, 04:53:38 pm »
Flyer through the door today describing itself as "The dangerous tree company" 

« Reply #477 on: 29 August, 2021, 10:01:28 am »
There are a chain of shops here in Hong Kong called 'Wanko.'  ;D

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #478 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:20:38 pm »
Active Drainage Ltd

"Active Drainage Ltd is a family-run, independent drainage company based in Barnstaple and we cover all of North Devon"

« Reply #479 on: 08 November, 2021, 11:49:57 am »
Cycling towards a shop called Any Hour Glass I was disappointed to learn it was an all hours glazier and not the comprehensive emporium of egg timers I’d imagined.

(No doubt the proprietor of the latter would shudder and give you a stern lecture any time you called them egg timers)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #480 on: 08 November, 2021, 12:45:14 pm »
Cycling towards a shop called Any Hour Glass I was disappointed to learn it was an all hours glazier and not the comprehensive emporium of egg timers I’d imagined.

(No doubt the proprietor of the latter would shudder and give you a stern lecture any time you called them egg timers)
Certain forumites are no doubt disappointed to discover Any Hour Glass is not a purveyor of corsets and bodices.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #481 on: 08 November, 2021, 12:55:46 pm »

Certain forumites are no doubt disappointed to discover Any Hour Glass is not a purveyor of corsets and bodices.

...or a bar prepared to serve intoxicating liquor at any time, day or night

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #482 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:05:51 pm »
Not quite a badly-named business - but a perhaps ill-ftting product on the shelves?    I went into the local B&M emporium to buy some cheap paint (all the known brands but discounted) - what I wasn't expecting to see, and buy a can thereof, was "yacht varnish"

That go me wondering how many B&M customers have a yacht that needs varnishing?

Yeah, I know - but it did amuse me as I used the yacht varnish on a piece of outdoor furniture.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #483 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:34:44 pm »

Like this:

No, not the Sheldon sticker, the one below that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #484 on: 11 November, 2021, 09:43:03 pm »

Like this:

I've seen a sticker like that on a bike belonging to Julian (otp) - but that doesn't look like any bike I've ever seen her on.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #485 on: 12 November, 2021, 08:50:35 am »

Like this:

I've seen a sticker like that on a bike belonging to Julian (otp) - but that doesn't look like any bike I've ever seen her on.
The sticker is on a tandem.
The photo was taken at the Hilly 50
The stoker is taller than Teh Julian (who is always right)

« Reply #486 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:45:01 am »

Like this:

The sticker is on a tandem.
The photo was taken at the Hilly 50
The stoker is taller than Teh Julian (who is always right)
You have given enough information that I can figure out to whom the tandem belongs.
But I won't tell'em........

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #487 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:50:37 am »
Heh.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #488 on: 12 November, 2021, 09:57:24 am »
Like Jurek, I also identified the owners, knowing that C & J have never, to my knowledge, owned a tandem in that colour.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #489 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:34:54 pm »
Does the bottom sticker have some significance? Like some secret society membership? Or is it purely advertising the owner's preference in undergarments?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #490 on: 16 November, 2021, 11:18:50 pm »
Fasttech (Chinese) = "Pony Express Tech'".
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #491 on: 18 November, 2021, 12:37:11 pm »
Legal Food, a Chinese takeaway in Lincoln. Local legend has it that the owner told the signwriter Regal Food but with a Chinese accent the R turned into an L. They serve quality food at a low price.

« Reply #492 on: 18 November, 2021, 03:20:47 pm »
Is there a silent “I can’t believe it’s” at the beginning? Or ”Barely”?

« Reply #493 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:42:07 pm »
Not quite a badly-named business - but a perhaps ill-ftting product on the shelves?    I went into the local B&M emporium to buy some cheap paint (all the known brands but discounted) - what I wasn't expecting to see, and buy a can thereof, was "yacht varnish"

That go me wondering how many B&M customers have a yacht that needs varnishing?

Yeah, I know - but it did amuse me as I used the yacht varnish on a piece of outdoor furniture.

That's where I got the varnish I use on my boat. It's a fifty year old 8.5 metre sailing vessel so not grand enough to be called a yacht.

« Reply #494 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:24:50 pm »
Legal Food, a Chinese takeaway in Lincoln. Local legend has it that the owner told the signwriter Regal Food but with a Chinese accent the R turned into an L. They serve quality food at a low price.
Many (~30) years ago, I was told that Legal Food was some sort of untranslatable Cantonese pun. The takeaway has been around for that long!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #495 on: 24 November, 2021, 10:17:51 pm »
One of the joys of having a dog with an instagram account is the constant stream of invitations to shill for terrible dog accessory brands. Today we got one for something calling itself Pawtly.

It's not even specifically for mildly overweight dogs. What a waste of a name.

« Reply #496 on: 07 December, 2021, 11:30:18 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #497 on: 08 February, 2022, 09:01:06 pm »
I've just seen an advert for holidays in the Florida Keys. Complete with url: fla-keys.com
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #498 on: 09 February, 2022, 11:09:23 am »
https://nltimes.nl/2021/12/07/balls-weigh-130-grams-named-worst-business-slogan-2021

I’m so ever upper class, high society…..,
Thats an awful lot of free publicity for a ‘bad slogan’  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #499 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:42:26 pm »
Musty burger anyone?

IMG_0737_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr