Author Topic: Tour de France 2019  (Read 21558 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Tour de France 2019
« Reply #50 on: 12 July, 2019, 04:11:27 pm »
Boring today: missed Roche falling off and D. Martin piddling sans permission.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #51 on: 12 July, 2019, 05:24:20 pm »

The tone was set when Rosetto and Offredo clipped off the front and the rest of the peloton just shrugged...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 13 July, 2019, 06:51:17 am »

Anyone else finding it hard to tell sunweb and Team Sky^WIneos^WPlastic Hypocracy apart in the aerial shots?

Also, anyone else think it would be a good idea if riders could have their numbers visible on their helmets or sides? Most of the shots of the riders are from the front, and without a number, I find it really hard to tell 100 white men apart... Oh, and the Yates' make it even harder...

J
Yes

and yes.

Ever since helmets+shades became the rider uniform, spectators and pundits have commented on this. But the UCI (et al) don't seem to realise that their entire sport is based on people watching on telly, so have done nothing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 13 July, 2019, 07:24:25 am »

The tone was set when Rosetto and Offredo clipped off the front and the rest of the peloton just shrugged...

Me too. 10k from the finish I went out to the workshop.

I suppose they can't shove them up mountains every day, but long-distance grinding followed by a seen-it-already-1000-times sprint isn't exactly nail-biting.

« Reply #54 on: 13 July, 2019, 10:58:52 am »
I've just been watching the highlights - and then only the ones that are not TT or sprint stages (I will FFd to the last 10 mins of a sprint stage).
It's nice to be able to spend the whole day watching the tour, day after day, pref with a beer - irrespective of the stage - but that's a young man's game.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #55 on: 13 July, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
Oh, it's an old fart's game as well. Gets you out of mowing the lawn jungle, too.

Anyway, today's made up for it.  Nice seeing Ciccone giving Juju a hug at the end.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 13 July, 2019, 08:26:39 pm »
De Gendt :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 14 July, 2019, 08:08:24 am »
Cracking stage! Race within race. Worthy winners (in their different races!). Nice scenery.

Like Stage6 - except completely different!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #58 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:06:53 pm »
Di Marchi has a deep laceration on his forehead and has gone to hospital for x-rays and test.  Apparently he was conscious and talking while being seen to at the roadside.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #60 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:34:26 pm »
Di Marchi has a deep laceration on his forehead and has gone to hospital for x-rays and test.  Apparently he was conscious and talking while being seen to at the roadside.

Broken collarbone, broken 4th rib, bruised lung, pneumothorax and cut eyebrow, all left side. Oh and multiple contusions. But awake and chatting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #61 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:01:30 pm »
Could be worse, he could be in Lorenzo Gobbo's shoes right now, so to speak.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #62 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:34:56 pm »

(Googles)

Ouch!  Didn't J Queally do something like that at Meadowbank once?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:39:04 pm »
Jeesus!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #64 on: 14 July, 2019, 10:55:41 pm »

(Googles)

Ouch!  Didn't J Queally do something like that at Meadowbank once?

Yes, indeed - off the top of my head, I don't think it was a through-and-through like Gobbo's.

<Flexes Google-Fu>

Or at least, it missed his thoracic cavity - from the Cycle Chat thread on Malaysia's Aziz Awang getting skewered through his calf in 2011:

Quote from: mcshroom@Cyclechat
It was Jason Queally. From the times online: -

But Queally is not afraid of the challenge. After taking up cycling in his mid-twenties, he focused on sprinting after an accident in 1996. Knocked off his bike at 35mph, a large chunk of the track became lodged in his back. The piece of wood was 18 inches long, two inches wide and half an inch thick.As Hoy, who was involved in the crash, recalled in his autobiography: “It was more like a fence post than a splinter and Jason’s scream of ‘I’ve got half the f***ing track in my back’ was not unreasonable in the circumstances.”

The crash was to have a profound effect on Queally. “I’ve got a scar a foot long that had 100 stitches in it, but I was scarred mentally as well as physically,” he said. “Thankfully, I’d been a swimmer and I had plenty of muscle in my upper body, so it didn’t pierce my heart or lungs. But after that I wanted to focus on events that did not involve bunching. So it was the kilo and team sprint, and now the team pursuit,”

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ouch-that-is-a-big-splinter.71600/#post-1317832

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #65 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:12:24 am »

« Reply #66 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:29:25 pm »
Well that was exhilarating. Who needs mountains? Or, from what I could see, echelons?  Just make sure your team is attentive, and can put in the power when it will make a difference (Dekeuninck, Ineos, Bora) and not waste power when it won't (EF).

« Reply #67 on: 18 July, 2019, 08:31:40 pm »
Nice to see an acknowledgement of the other side of France at the start. PBP is moving in the other direction, from the banlieue of St Quentin to Rambouillet. Good to see a Lancastrian stage winner.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #68 on: 18 July, 2019, 09:10:13 pm »

What happened to Rohan Dennis? Anyone got any more info? cyclingnews.com hasn't really got anything useful.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #69 on: 18 July, 2019, 09:24:22 pm »

What happened to Rohan Dennis? Anyone got any more info? cyclingnews.com hasn't really got anything useful.

J

Some rumours about a fall-out with the team management are going around. Bizarre!

« Reply #70 on: 18 July, 2019, 10:00:28 pm »
It would appear that Rohan Dennis has a reputation as being a bit... emotionally fragile.

We do know he has genuine problems with explosive, angry responses to relatively innocuous challenges. He’s a hothead. Former teammates, managers, team staff – it seems everyone has a Rohan story. Each rider or team staff member I contacted in the last few hours said some version of the same: Yes, it’s a problem. This isn’t the first time. It’s a pattern.

[sports director Gorazd] Stangelj did his best to explain without quite explaining anything.

“He is a special guy, let’s say. All the champions are,” he said. “He’s really 100 percent when he wants something. It’s difficult to make everybody happy in every single moment.

“He’s the guy, he wants to have everything 100 percent. It’s not easy to have everything 100 per cent.”

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/inside-the-bizarre-tour-departure-of-rohan-dennis/

EDITED TO ADD:

As the Cycling Tips piece notes, there's talk of Dennis not being happy about his TT bike or part thereof. A more specific rumour I've seen, via today's stage thread on Bike Radar is that it's the wheels:

From another forum:

It was supposedly discontent with the equipment - the wheels in particular that made Dennis quit the race. According to norwegian news station tv2 Hushovd had a chat with him today where Dennis told about not being pleased with the equipment - claiming to lose 40w to the competitors
https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13106483&start=140#p20547745

The other rumour is that he was ordered into the break by his team and he felt this was damaging his best chance of a stage win in tomorrow's ITT and so he had a hissy fit.

« Reply #71 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:07:57 am »
He's moved from a team with a great TT setup, to one without. This is what he said after he lost his Aussie TT title in January:
“Look, the legs are there. the power was good. As good as any other year, if not just a little bit better,” explained Dennis.

“So, it’s just about finding out why I didn’t go as quick now and fixing it for the next race. It’s all about trying to figure out how to go a little bit quicker with the equipment that I’ve got.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dennis-i-was-beaten-by-the-better-guy-on-the-day/

I wonder if there was some issue where parts used in the TdS weren't sponsor correct and that despite winning there he would have to ride the slower, sponsor correct parts today. TTers are very particular about their equipment, and there have been other memorable hissy fits from TTers fed up with what they see as the sub standard machines provided by the team (Millar comes to mind when with Cofidis). However, they usually come after the stage has gone horribly wrong, not beforehand!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #72 on: 19 July, 2019, 01:49:28 pm »
There were stories yesterday of some kind of stomach bug affecting Bahrain-Merida, hence the sub-par performance of V Nibbles, but a full-blown wobbly over the TT equipment sounds much more fun :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #73 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:21:14 pm »
WvA :facepalm:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #74 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:54:28 pm »

Dutch News reports WvA has had surgery for a deep flesh wound to the hip, and will be in hospital for a few days :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/