Author Topic: Reccomend me a tent  (Read 13021 times)

Re: Reccomend me a tent
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2009, 06:34:28 pm »
If you do have two small tents, and small is anxious about being separated, then you could use a tarp between the two to give a bit of sheltered common space.

..and cook bacon under it (like me at Wyke Down camp site previously)

A tarp is definitely useful when you have a real 1-man tent like my Coleman Viper.

(Can anyone smell that bacon?)

Hang on, so you use a 2kg Coleman Viper, but carry around a 2 ring gas cooker with 10kg of gas cylinder? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2009, 07:34:32 pm »
I also have an Equinox 600 which I've used for family car camping trips. It fitted my sister, myself and her 4 children very well. I would suggest getting something as small as you can stand. The larger it is, the more tea-drinking time is wasted putting it up and the more space is wasted in the car. Vangos are good, as are Blacks own; Khyams are quick and easy to erect; Nomad make some beautiful cotton tents. For £300 you can get a very good tent. Check reviews on Ukcampsite forum for some ideas but bear in mind that a lot of the members are fixated on huge tents and always have 2+ adults to erect the monstrosities. Avoid tents that are exclusive to ebay they are often shocking quality, but watch for specific tents - you can get some good deals if you know what you want. In March there is the Outdoor show at the NEC which has displays and sometimes discounts and it's useful to see the tents up. Let me know if you want to borrow a tent at all. The Equinox or the small 2 roomed Khamsin might fit your requirements.
 :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #27 on: 23 February, 2009, 08:02:20 pm »
An Equinox 600 would be perfect for when me and the boys go away for our walking weekends.   Tunnell tents are easily the best in my view.  Simple and effective.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #28 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:57:09 pm »
Have you considered a tent from the Decathlon Quechua range? They are excellent value. My son Lewis has one of the one man ones that he uses as a pup tent when we go away in the camper van, and we are very impressed with it. It pitches in a couple of seconds as it pops up into shape as soon as it is removed from the bag. Putting it away takes a bit longer, possibly a couple of minutes once you have learnt how! Last year Lewis used it on Kintyre in gale force winds and driving rain, and it stayed up and dry when many other tents were leaking or blowing down.

The Outdoors Show is on at the NEC in a few weeks time, and there are usually loads of tents on display, and it has been known for them to sell the display tents at a reduced rate on the last day, you just have to take the tent down yourself. We got our Equinox there about 8 years ago and got it for about 40% less that the RRP.

« Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2009, 07:36:44 pm »
The Outdoors Show is on at the NEC in a few weeks time, and there are usually loads of tents on display, and it has been known for them to sell the display tents at a reduced rate on the last day, you just have to take the tent down yourself. We got our Equinox there about 8 years ago and got it for about 40% less that the RRP.

Ah, yes.  Good tip.   Ta. 

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 25 February, 2009, 08:46:48 am »
If you do have two small tents, and small is anxious about being separated, then you could use a tarp between the two to give a bit of sheltered common space.

..and cook bacon under it (like me at Wyke Down camp site previously)

A tarp is definitely useful when you have a real 1-man tent like my Coleman Viper.

(Can anyone smell that bacon?)

Hang on, so you use a 2kg Coleman Viper, but carry around a 2 ring gas cooker with 10kg of gas cylinder? ;D

I have a specially adapted bottle-cage for the Calor Gas so I don't notice it.

;D

Good spot.

Actually I was car-camping with chillmoister of the YACF parish and cycling during the day (the Tarp is pegged to the floor and tied to the roof-rails of my car).