Author Topic: What would it be like if there were no cars?  (Read 5856 times)

Re: What would it be like if there were no cars?
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2009, 01:29:23 pm »
  Plenty of the people I see using the disabled parking spaces at the local Tescos with obviously Motability cars (less than three years old, big and shiny MPVs) have no discernable disability. 

Emphysema? There are many "Hidden disbilities" that make things difficult for people. Are you saying that it's only fair if you're in a wheelchair or have some obvious problem like am leg missin?
Exactly, PD. There are a lot of non-obvious disabilities. (Not to say that there isn't a lot of misuse of blue badge parking).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2009, 08:26:31 pm »
Interesting one, this one.

There IS far too much "trivial" car use - i.e. journeys for the sake of it because you have a car, where you could make do without that journey or at least with a much shorter journey if you didn't have that car.

However, there are things for which cars are essential.  We could not, for example, manage our woods without a motorised vehicle (and quite a heavy one at that).  We have to lug equipment back and forth from the house to the woods e.g. generators, large brush-cutters plus the petrol for them, chainsaws and so on.  We do leave some things e.g. the tractor, in the barn, but we can't leave very portable equipment there because of scrotes who try and break in and steal stuff.  We cannot transport this equipment by bicycle, it is just too heavy, and it would not be possible to stack it safely.

I dissagree with that.
All this heavy equipment is just machinary which does the work that a team of workers can do. How did the Romans manage?
The machinary is just there to make our lives more convenient and easier. But we lived for a long time before we had these machines. Instead of buying or hiring equipment, you could hire a workforce. My guess is that you are doing what you think works best for you. There are alternatives and they are possible.

Carrying Nordic Walking poles?
I can carry more weight than I can lift in one go, on my trailer. I reckon I could handle a good number of Nordic Walking poles.

Sure, I can see the benefits of cars.
But please don't go thinking that difficult or time consuming equates to impossible or undesirable.
We can live without cars. But they are usefull and can make our lives better, so in seriousness, I wouldn't want to abolish them altogether.

Where there's a will, there just might be a way.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2009, 01:18:21 am »
I think that's a good point. In the news today is a report about our car usage.

Nearly half - 46% - of households have a relatively low annual mileage of 1-5,000 miles, while 10% travel more than 15,000 miles per year.

That's an awful lot of households that could do without a car. There are exceptions, but for a huge proportion of the population a car is an unnecessary and unhealthy luxury. As a society we have let the car give us lifestyles that require a car.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2009, 01:28:08 am »
  Plenty of the people I see using the disabled parking spaces at the local Tescos with obviously Motability cars (less than three years old, big and shiny MPVs) have no discernable disability. 

Emphysema? There are many "Hidden disbilities" that make things difficult for people. Are you saying that it's only fair if you're in a wheelchair or have some obvious problem like am leg missin?
Exactly, PD. There are a lot of non-obvious disabilities. (Not to say that there isn't a lot of misuse of blue badge parking).

Actually, blue badges are currently only supposed to be issued to those with restricted mobility due to specific types of physical impairment.  The conditions for issue are listed here.  It is strictly to due with the ability to walk - not an ability to carry heavy items or similar.  It is interesting to note that the ability to have a blue badge for a child under two has only just been agreed.

There is widespread abuse of the blue badge scheme.  One survey in London a couple of years ago found 95% of those with a blue badge weren't actually eligible to have one.  Once issued, they are rarely checked up on or rescinded.  In Tower Hamlets they found that about 40% of the badges in use were issued to people who had subsequently died and the badge had not been returned as it should have been.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #29 on: 22 April, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
What would it be like if there were no cars?

« Reply #30 on: 22 April, 2009, 08:37:42 pm »
I'd possibly have to pack in work and claim some form of disability support.  Foot problems make it hurt too much to walk there & back in same day; nearest public transport is further from work than my home is; I'm on call and tend to be in/out at various anti social times.  Of course I could always cycle.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2009, 11:36:37 pm »
Western Isles, Sunday Morning, 7am

ed_o_brain

« Reply #32 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:31:13 am »
Instead of the noise of engines whirring by on the commute, you would hear people actually talking as they cycled together, lads racing on every clear stretch of road, a chorus of rusty chains on on the fringes of it you might actually still be able to hear the birds.

Speshact

• Charlie

« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:15:21 pm »
I wasn't impressed when I spent a day cycling in the centre of Copenhagen.

I left with the impression that the image there is mostly spin and publicity, although I was happy to admit that I had limited contact and hadn't spent months there.

The following quote from that linked site puts me back to the "spin and publicity" thought.
I filmed throughout August 2009 and a few times during the winter, when it snowed.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #35 on: 02 May, 2009, 12:15:39 am »
I cycled into Chorlton tonight and then into Manchester City Centre and it was really uplifting to see so many cycle commuters.

Maybe we are one step on the way.

Jakob

« Reply #36 on: 02 May, 2009, 02:06:33 am »
That's an awful lot of households that could do without a car. There are exceptions, but for a huge proportion of the population a car is an unnecessary and unhealthy luxury. As a society we have let the car give us lifestyles that require a car.

We probably do less than 5000 miles per year, but bought the car specifically for non-commuting purposes (getting to and from kendo training and getting away in the weekend).
 Initially I used public transport to get to and from kendo, but with a 15 minute walk (with 25lbs of gear) at one end of the journey became rather tedious once autumn arrived. Also dealing with fatigue after training was an issue. (Which eliminated cycling).
Similarly, many of the better places in B.C. cannot practically be reached without a car, unless you are training for a King of the Mountains classification.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 02 May, 2009, 10:16:23 am »
It would be interesting to see how many short car use journeys could be replaced by initiatives like car clubs. They probably only suit a proportion of the population. I could certainly see a good car club working for us here, once the kids are a bit older.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #38 on: 02 May, 2009, 10:51:11 am »
I do 30k a year.  Mostly commuting.  If I had a job that I could get to by cycling/public transport, then I could probably get away with being a member of a car club...

« Reply #39 on: 02 May, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »
I do a lot less car miles now I don't cycle seriously.

Certainly, for racing a car was essential, and with a couple of mid-week races, a track league perhaps, and one or two events at the weekend 1,500 to 2,000 miles a month would be typical in the season.

I guess the same will be true for a lot of Sportive riders and Audax ones as well. Car parking is always full.

My point - cycling as a sport is very car-dependant.