Author Topic: What to do about errant cyclists?  (Read 4099 times)

What to do about errant cyclists?
« on: 18 June, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
If a bus, lorry or van driver offends my cycling sensibilities, and their vehicle is sign written, I complain.

As I walked along the pavement today, a 16-18 year old swooped past me, from behind, on a 'mountain' bike. He was close enough that he brushed my shoulder. There was no traffic on the road at all and no reason for him to be on the pavement. He gave no warning of his approach at all. I was startled but unharmed.

There is a lot of 'ignorant of other people' cycling goes on in this small city and I am dismayed by it.
If I am to be knocked down by a bicycle I want it to be at least a Mercian, and I want the cyclist to land on his head.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: What to do about errant cyclists?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »
In your small city, how many people are killed or injured by errant cyclists & how many by errant motorists?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
Be grateful he's not driving a van and move on.  

I actually got pushed off my bike while I was waiting at traffic lights once, by a guy who decided he wasn't waiting for the lights to go green and that I was in his way.  There is no answer: if someone is a selfish canute, then they'll be one whether they're walking, cycling, getting the bus, or driving.  

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:36:20 pm »
Kill them. Kill them all.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:41:05 pm »
In your small city, how many people are killed or injured by errant cyclists & how many by errant motorists?
None that I know of to the first and a few to the second, but does it have to be a comparison?

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

Perhaps just a few - to encourage the others.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:43:25 pm »
I thumped one on the arm once.

It was an accident, though.  I was waiting in the ASL at a red light in front of the left turn lane and decided to repeat my left turn signal for the benefit of the motorised traffic behind, prior to the lights changing.  It turned out to be just at the point a RLJing cyclist bombed through on my left (to go straight on as it turned out).

He wasn't terribly happy.  I was amused.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2010, 02:44:05 pm »
Be grateful he's not driving a van and move on.  

I actually got pushed off my bike while I was waiting at traffic lights once, by a guy who decided he wasn't waiting for the lights to go green and that I was in his way.  There is no answer: if someone is a selfish canute, then they'll be one whether they're walking, cycling, getting the bus, or driving.  

I hope there is an answer or they may end up driving a cement truck with the same lack of thought.

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »
Pavement cyclists have started to get on my tits somewhat recently. There seems to have been a massive increase in them recently. Usually utility cyclists on BSOs or ancient road bikes that have been dragged out of the shed when their owners have realised they're too skint to drive everywhere.

I had to take evasive action the other day as the lady cycling along the pavement didn't even bother to alert me to her presence as she came past me. I hopped to my right when I heard the distinctive noise of an unmaintained BSO and brushed my fucked up shoulder on the fence (which hurt). She cheerily said "Thanks" ie for me getting out of the way. And I replied with a "Sorry" ie for being in the way!! Then I suddenly realised "What the fuck am I apologising for?!!!!!" It was too late to say anything, but the very next day on exactly the same part of the deserted cul-de-sac, some chav did exactly the same thing. This time, I simply shouted "CUNT!!" That's how I deal with errant cyclists :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:17:31 pm »

Absolutely.  Kill them all , God will recognise his own.

Snake

My Library

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »
I have no problem at all with erron cycling.  I'd positively encourage him...

What?

What?

;D
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:21:35 pm »
....... some chav did exactly the same thing. This time, I simply shouted "CUNT!!" That's how I deal with errant cyclists :P

Not quite my choice of word but I would normally have yelled. In this case I found myself pondering the potential problems that our different ethnicities might bring down on my head. I was quite surprised by my train of thought but guess it is down to increasing age and a desire to live it quietly(ish)  :-[

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »

Absolutely.  Kill them all , God will recognise his own.

Snake

My Library

That's when you find that God is a Jeremy Clarkson fan and hates all cyclists!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »
Push them off ... and then staplegun a copy of the Highway Code to their still warm and twitching carcasses.

It's the only way they'll learn.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:28:28 pm »
If I had a copy of the HC for every tosser on a bike I see, there would be no trees left in the world!

I'm a mild mannered chap, so usually just let it go and forget about it....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »
Shouting "USE THE ROAD!" has been repeatedly proven to provoke a confused expression with a hint of disbelief from the native Brummie pavement cyclists (easily identified by their use of hi-vis and helmet to make themselves more visible so that pedestrians may leap out of the way well in advance of their approach).

I stopped at a pelican crossing the other day and watched a mother and child, who were halfway across, literally *leap* out of my way as I pulled up to the stop line.  I think the pavement cyclists have already won.   :(

ian

« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:35:34 pm »
If I got reasonably annoyed with everyone who had the potential to annoy me I'd probably trigger some kind of internal nuclear reaction. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »
I have no problem at all with erron cycling.  I'd positively encourage him...

What?

What?

;D

Very good.  ::-)

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »
I have an elderly, non-cycling, relative who strongly advocates the use of a walking stick through the front wheel of pavement cyclists. I understand the emotion, having been on the receiving end of too many near misses myself, but try to discourage him  :-\
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »
Depends on the quality of the walking stick. When I grabbed my sister's Raleigh Twenty after my parents had grounded me and locked up my Grifter (I was about 12) and pissed off into the evening sun, some old fart tried that trick. The 20" wheel Vs some old duffers walking stick. The walking stick lost. And judging by the way the old fart was clutching his wrist as I looked back over my shoulder, so did his bonz. Of course, he's dead now....

ed_o_brain

« Reply #20 on: 18 June, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »
I think most errant cyclists are just annoying and at worst a nuisance and a danger to themselves, but sometimes it's a bit more serious.

I'm now on good terms with a lollipop lady who works on a stretch of the A6 in Levenshulme, who was scared to death the first day I encountered her. A fellow cyclist and I drew up to the crossing she was manning and, visibly shaking, she apologised to us. Perplexed, I asked her why she was apologising when she was just doing her job.

She explained how she'd got into a confrontation with a cyclist and he had hit her. I mean, with a fist, hit her.

It's just a societal lowest common denominator type thing.
I wouldn't ride on the pavement, just as much as I wouldn't jump the queue in Gregs, nor swear at my mother.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #21 on: 18 June, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »
If I got reasonably annoyed with everyone who had the potential to annoy me I'd probably trigger some kind of internal nuclear reaction.

This is why I had to get a folding bike and stop using the tube.  I was in danger of going thermonuclear twice a day.  (either that or ending up beaten to a pulp, shortly after muttering "Sh1t - did I just say that out loud?")

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #22 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:12:15 pm »
I've been ridden into by one pavement cyclist and almost hit by another:

1)Three of us walking to the pub, guy cycling towards us carrying a box under one arm and holding the bars with the other. He sees us, squares up a bit and accelerates, I hold my position and his brake lever hits my lower left arm shortly before the other side of it hits his knuckles and the wheel turns sharply to the left and he falls off. Well, I presume he fell off, I definitely heard a CRUMP and a '"fuck", but as I was chatting with my mates I ignored it and wandered into the pub.

2) Walking back from the station we see a lad on a BMX coming towards us, Vernon moves in behind me because we are just passing a full bin bag which is lying on the pavement; at the same time BMX boy accelerates towards us; sadly for him we can't move into the road because of a parked car and we sure as hell ain't going to hurl ourselves onto the bin bag. He is left with two choices, either ride into me or ride into the bin bag, sensibly he chooses the bin bag and falls off onto it.

I have also said to pavement cyclists "Aw, doesn't mummy let you ride on the road" as recommended by somebody on this very forum.

Please note, I do not choose an aggressive stance with these people, although they piss me off I will usually give them some leeway if they give me some, e.g. if they slow down and pull over as they approach me I will also move over so we can pass. What I can't stand are the idiots who accelerate towards me in an aggressive "GET OUT OF MY WAY" manner.

John Henry

« Reply #23 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »

Please note, I do not choose an aggressive stance with these people, although they piss me off I will usually give them some leeway if they give me some, e.g. if they slow down and pull over as they approach me I will also move over so we can pass. What I can't stand are the idiots who accelerate towards me in an aggressive "GET OUT OF MY WAY" manner.

Yes. I can understand why some people feel they need to ride on the pavement - I think they're misguided, but I can understand it. If they do it carefully and considerately there's rarely much of a problem. If they behave like twunts then there is a problem, and being British I shall jolly well apologise at them and tut slightly when they're safely out of earshot.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

Perhaps just a few - to encourage the others.
But do it very messily, with angle grinders.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.