Author Topic: Where are all the cyclists today?  (Read 7022 times)

Otto

Re: Where are all the cyclists today?
« Reply #25 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:01:26 pm »
I come up the A3, and exit on the New Kent Road

Ok...very unlikley we'll pass then I come down from Camberwell road and exit toards Blackfriars

« Reply #26 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:40:33 pm »
I've found that servers are excellent for drying clothes!

The weather radar shows the lower half of the country still covered in rain, and I need to go shopping this evening (no food in the house), so soakings 3 and 4 will follow shortly after soaking number 2. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:06:31 pm »
Getting dried after my swim today proved redundant, given the aquatic conditions. I also can't resist the urge to sploosh through large puddles. It's why Jesus invented mudguards.

« Reply #28 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:07:12 pm »
It's raining isn't it?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

annie

« Reply #29 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:09:16 pm »
I saw a guy up ahead, he kept looking round and then started cycling much faster, I was not interested in a race but just in keeping upright.  I don't think he liked the fact I was getting closer and closer, he turned off on the route I had planned so I went the other way.  I rarely see anyone else when I am out.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 09 July, 2008, 07:04:30 pm »
Didn't see many cyclists myself today, but then I did come in at lunchtime rahter than rush hour.

Did see an impressive woman on a road bike.  First thing I knew was a quiet cough behind me when we were stopped at some lights.  As ususal, I was away faster, but, as I paused to clip my left foot in, she shot past.  I tried to take her wheel (I needed a bit of a tow this morning :( ), but I couldn't keep up at all.  OK, so I came level as we approached E&C roundabout, but that was because I know the lane dynamics.  No, she was awesomely fast.

I think you misunderstood the dynamic here. That quiet cough meant:
"Excuse me, I believe I am somewhat more rapid than you, so it would be easier if you let me past immediately."
:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #31 on: 09 July, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
I was dithering due to the forecast - then it started to spit - thought, here it comes.

Committed myself to driving, and it has stayed mostly dry all day. I was really out of sorts this morning - in fact I would prefer a thorough soaking, to not cycling.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
Didn't see many cyclists myself today, but then I did come in at lunchtime rahter than rush hour.

Did see an impressive woman on a road bike.  First thing I knew was a quiet cough behind me when we were stopped at some lights.  As ususal, I was away faster, but, as I paused to clip my left foot in, she shot past.  I tried to take her wheel (I needed a bit of a tow this morning :( ), but I couldn't keep up at all.  OK, so I came level as we approached E&C roundabout, but that was because I know the lane dynamics.  No, she was awesomely fast.

I think you misunderstood the dynamic here. That quiet cough meant:
"Excuse me, I believe I am somewhat more rapid than you, so it would be easier if you let me past immediately."
:)

Well, I thought so, and I tend to move away slowly and to the side if I reckon someone is likely to be faster than me, but I do have a good start from the lights.
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #33 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:25:15 pm »
Cycled to school this am, only saw 3-5 others on bike, one said to me, with a big smile, "lovely day for it" as we were waiting at the red light. The head decided that it was too wet so the class was done inside. In the pm we got 7 eager kids out but after 15min they looked like wet little mice :) so we took pity on them and send them back to class, wet. Cycled back via LBS and arrived home with 3kg extra weight, sadly not stuff from the LBS but from the skies.

30+ great miles :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:28:12 am »
Getting wet in Wiltshire I was.  Very wet  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:21:24 am »
Ahhhh - good ride today.  yes, standing water on the road in places.  Yes, there were motons pulling out randomly without looking, and driving straight into ASLs.

But y'know, it was a goooood ride :)
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
The rain has moved north and arrived here but I used my new rainlegs and stayed dry.

I think the rainlegs make my legs tire more quickly though. It was very strange.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »
Rather oddly, even though the ride was much sunnier and drier, there seemed to be less cyclists about.

Still, I'm not complaining it was much less squelchy once I got to work today.  It's not the cycling in the rain I dislike so much, as the removal of the wet clingy, cold, damp clothing!
Actually, it is rocket science.

fuzzy

« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
Rather oddly, even though the ride was much sunnier and drier, there seemed to be less cyclists about.

Still, I'm not complaining it was much less squelchy once I got to work today.  It's not the cycling in the rain I dislike so much, as the removal of the wet clingy, cold, damp clothing!

I don't mind the removal at all. it is when some ignorant bugger leaves the drying room door open and my kit is still cold and clammy when it is time to put it back on again that I get the hump.

I'm certain I'm not alone in getting a perverse pleasure from being on a bike during any type of rain :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #39 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:47:12 pm »

It's not the cycling in the rain I dislike so much, as the removal of the wet clingy, cold, damp clothing!

I don't mind the removal it's putting back on the clammy dank clothing at the end of the day :(

« Reply #40 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:14:43 pm »
I don't mind the removal at all. it is when some ignorant bugger leaves the drying room door open and my kit is still cold and clammy when it is time to put it back on again that I get the hump.

At least you've got got a drying room.   When I take my wet clothes off I hang them up in the computer suite that is chilled.

Putting refrigerated wet clothing back on at the end of the day is... interesting.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:19:33 pm »

I'm certain I'm not alone in getting a perverse pleasure from being on a bike during any type of rain :thumbsup:

May I be the first to say wierdo.  Warm rain is an amazing and strange feeling but cold stuff is not nice and seems to sink in to the joints.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:23:04 pm »

At least you've got got a drying room.   When I take my wet clothes off I hang them up in the computer suite that is chilled.

Putting refrigerated wet clothing back on at the end of the day is... interesting.

Does it reduce swelling :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:24:02 pm »

May I be the first to say wierdo.  Warm rain is an amazing and strange feeling but cold stuff is not nice and seems to sink in to the joints.

I'm no wirdo. I am a 'Character' ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:18:48 pm »
At least you've got got a drying room.   When I take my wet clothes off I hang them up in the computer suite that is chilled.

At my last place of work, everything had to be stuffed into a tiny locker, so it was cold, wet & musty by the end of the day.  Niiice ::-)

Here, there's a huge office my bike has to itself. so I can hang up my shorts, jersey and towel - even socks - to dry :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Otto

« Reply #45 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:59:39 pm »
I morn the loss of my big old CRT monitor..these LCD jobbies are nohere near as good for drying socks