Poll

When riding on the road that is covered in ice or has patches of ice, what sort of bike provides the optimal riding experience and why?

Geared road bike.
4 (6.5%)
Fixed wheel road bike.
6 (9.7%)
Single speed road bike (free-wheel)
4 (6.5%)
Mountain bike.
48 (77.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Which bike is safest to ride in icy conditions?  (Read 12422 times)

Which bike is safest to ride in icy conditions?
« on: 07 December, 2011, 05:51:57 am »
Riding to work on Monday and Tuesday saw some slippery conditions.  Following various 'hairy' moments I began to consider whether I was riding the best bike to provide optimal stability.
I couldn't decide whether the 'control' of fixed was beneficial or whether the ability to freewheel would have been more important.
So I decided someone on here must have also considered this question  ;D

On typing this question I have suddenly thought of a tricycle, however as I don't own one I have not included it as an option at this time.  I think it would win hands down for stability but in many other ways it would make the journey slower due to the width for heavy traffic and the lack of passing opportunities on the busy roads I now find myself on.

Re: Which bike is safest to ride in icy conditions?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:06:49 am »
I think fixed is the worse choice... you can't freewheel over ice. Mountain bike with soft tyres would be my rec, although in practise I tend to use a crosser with cross tyres.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:21:48 am »
I have chosen 'Mountain Bike', simply because I feel a lot more sure footed safer on my 1.75" Marathon Plus shod commuting bike  than I do on my road bike with 23mm.

I've never ridden fixed but the idea of being unable to stop pedalling seems rather lairy.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:27:54 am »
Bent trike from personal experience although not in deep snow
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:28:42 am »
Whether fixed would be your worst choice would depend on your terrain. In Swindon where my commute was mostly flat it handled very well although it is a cross frame and was fitted with cross tyres at the time. However, here in Sheffield where I inevitably have to go up and down hill then I wouldn't consider it as I wouldn't be ale to set a consistent gearing for up, down or the flat sections where I wouldn't have to unweight the rear end at some point or find myself in too low a gear.

Cross bikes with skinny treaded tyres are my preferred option as you can keep good pace on treated surfaces, cut into slush and virgin snow alike and not loose too much traction on sheet ice. If it gets to the point of sheet ice everywhere then probably a mountain bike for wide bar stability and wide tyre traction. Can't decide if knobblies or low pressure slicks would be best in that situation. Mind you I'm just up the road from Langsett Cycles where they sell studded tyres so I can always go and splash on a set of them. I'd then just have to decide whether to get them for the cross bike or the MTB. As I'm much more of a roadie It'll probably be the cross. Pity that my polo bike is a mongrel that would require both, last man on court ftw.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:34:24 am »
A trike or a bike with studded tyres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:37:12 am »
The one on thr turbo trainer  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:43:35 am »
'Bent trike as first choice.
If that option is off the menu, I'd be tempted to take out a 2-wheeled recumbent.  Closer to the ground so less far to fall.  If you do fall, you're less likely to land on your head.  Handling is more responsive (excepting the long-wheelbase monsters such as the Linear or Peer Gynt) so one can get it back vertical quicker once the tyres decide to grip.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:52:50 am »
i find it is possible to filter though a lot of traffic with due care with my trike but the lwb recumbent with studded tyres and some studded shoes would be  best as getting both feet to the ground  flat is easy and has been mentioned your closer the the deck if you do lose it
the slower you go the more you see

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2011, 06:59:25 am »

On typing this question I have suddenly thought of a tricycle, however as I don't own one I have not included it as an option at this time.  I think it would win hands down for stability but in many other ways it would make the journey slower due to the width for heavy traffic and the lack of passing opportunities on the busy roads I now find myself on.

Borrow some blues'n'twos from work - problem solved!  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:13:52 am »
A friend of mine bought a trike solely for use in icy weather. The first time he used it he slid on the ice into the kerb, fell off and broke his collar bone!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:31:23 am »
Bent trike is mega fun in ice - I remember on a WARTY ayear or so ago doing a 180 degree spin in the blink of an eye, whereupon I was in an ideal location to watch those on upright bikes approaching me going down like ninepins.

The back end can slide out but that's not too scary. When the front slides it tends to just go slightly off centre and not do anything too traumatic.

Ice Trikes had a video on their Facebook page recently of them doing ice slides.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:53:07 am »
Bent trike is mega fun in ice - I remember on a WARTY ayear or so ago doing a 180 degree spin in the blink of an eye, whereupon I was in an ideal location to watch those on upright bikes approaching me going down like ninepins.

The back end can slide out but that's not too scary. When the front slides it tends to just go slightly off centre and not do anything too traumatic.

Ice Trikes had a video on their Facebook page recently of them doing ice slides.

I remember that ride - I went AOT just getting out of the station...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:55:22 am »
A trike or a bike with studded tyres.

+1
Great for riding on ice. I use my tourer for those situations, equipped with studded tyres.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:55:48 am »
If it gets to the point of sheet ice everywhere then probably a mountain bike for wide bar stability and wide tyre traction.

If it gets to the point of sheet ice everywhere, it's time to get an extra wheel or get off the bike entirely.  Trust me on this one.

I remember you roaring with laughter as you span  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:00:54 am »

Bambi.

corshamjim

« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:11:30 am »
Studded tyres on a mountain bike are the way to go IMO.  I've thought about putting studded tyres on my drop-barred bike, but in snow I think the wider mountain bike bars are important to keep better control of steering.  ymmv.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:17:46 am »

Bambi.
OMG yes!  Tee hee hee! (I desperately need a ROFL smiley!)  An image of Jurek I will forever treasure.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:26:43 am »
Now I have picked myself up off the floor and stopped giggling uncontrollably (I'm at work, so I'm getting some weird looks), here's my on topic answer.  My Roberts Roughstuff handles really well on ice and snow.  I rode all over Blackheath and Greenwich Park last year in the ice and snow- let the tyres down a bit.  I only fell off when I ended up on a patch of ice which had melted and refrozen several times and was an absolute mess of deep frozen ruts.  I suspect not even studded tyres would cope with that.  i really noticed how steady and stable it was as I only got it out on the second day of snow and ice in London.  The first I rode the Holdsworth- skittish as a baby faun.  I felt like I was about to fall off all the time riding it through slusy snow.  The Roberts felt amazing after that.

Chris N

« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:52:32 am »
I think fixed is the worse choice... you can't freewheel over ice.

Yep.  It gets a bit sketchy if you hit a patch of ice at high RPM. :o

Though a freewheel is at risk of freezing or sticking from all the salt/spray if you don't maintain it.  For ice - definitely studded tyres.  On snow - MTB or CX tyres.  Disc brakes make life much easier too.

« Reply #20 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:20:09 am »
The other problem with fixed is that there are times when you get a bit of lateral sway, most noticeably if you unclip and put your feet out as stabilisers on sheet ice

« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:48:01 am »
A road bike with snappy handling can be fine in slippery conditions, with the right tyres. There is a world of difference between tyres with a hard compound (say, bontrager hardcase) and something like GP4 seasons.

The main problem with road bikes in snowy weather is the snow build up rubs against mudguards and stays. Makes for hard work.

If there is lots of ice about, studded tyres, nothing else will really do the job.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 07 December, 2011, 10:50:46 am »
I'd stay clear of the bike in icy conditions, however, if I was forced to go out, I'd choose my old MTB conversion.

26x2.0" Marathons (probably deflated a little), wide, flat bars and no SPDs

It's slow but it feels really secure and I could bail-out more easily than on my road bikes with SPDs, drop bars and high top tubes.

If it got really silly then the MTB would come out but it's still bloody scary on downhill corners on tarmac and compacted snow.

« Reply #23 on: 07 December, 2011, 11:07:50 am »
I'm amazed at how every year this topic comes up, and people post how they would never ride in icy conditions, and are apparently totally ignoring the existence of studded tyres.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 07 December, 2011, 11:16:37 am »
When it gets icey in Devon - which won't be for a bit yet - I will fit 35mm Marathon Winter studded tyres on my commuter bike

I can ride to work in almost any (cold) conditions with these on.  Snow on the roads more than a few inches deep stops me but moderate snow and ice is fine

Commuter bike has drops and cyclocross tyre clearance

The downside to studded tyres are that they are slow and heavy.  When I take them off, going back to Marathon Plus feels like I have a turbo boost