Author Topic: Why can't people learn to use the road courteously?  (Read 7286 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: Why can't people learn to use the road courteously?
« Reply #51 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »
Serpently not.  :D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #52 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:29:17 pm »
I think it's time for a discussion about whether or not people wearing helmets are less courteous to other road users than wind-in-the-hairs, due the alienating effect of wearing protective clothing in normal situations....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #53 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:04:41 am »
Indeed, it is much harder to doff your cap when the hat is strapped around your chin.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #54 on: 23 May, 2012, 12:38:25 pm »
Ooh Ooh - Hi Vis, Hi Vis

And Bells  :thumbsup:

« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2012, 03:11:06 am »

How do you as bike riders expect drivers to be courteous and mindful of your presence on the road when all you do is piss us off? It makes me treat you with contempt, and it shouldn't be like that.

Well, sometimes the only way to mitigate one risk is to take another, lesser risk.  Quite frankly, car drivers are bound by additional penalties (including disqualification) and are more easily traceable.  Also, you have it easy in a car.

I guess you're part of the BoJo brigade - upright posture, going slowly in the gutter.

Oh, and we are real traffic.  In fact, cycles have more right to be on the road as permission to take it onto the road is not required, nor is a licence.

PS Honking, revving and agressive behaviour tends to make me steer towards the offside and hit the brakes so you're stuck behind me, play chicken with oncoming vehicles - especially if they need to cross the centre line or otherwise come into my half of the road.  One of the upshots of a cycle helmet will be that I could end up causing something worse to happen to you.

PPS bus drivers are worse - arrogant pricks aided and abetted by bus lanes.  I have no qualms about slowing a bus down to my speed if I reckon it can't pass safely; the worst case scenario is that the delay costs the passengers their jobs or work time - if it's going to be at my risk then tough; it's not my problem.

PPPS Deal with it.