Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471271 times)

Martin

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2600 on: 01 December, 2019, 09:47:09 pm »
There’s definitely a change to a more journalistic and professional style of writing. That’s not the same as ‘better’.

It's not the editor writing the articles it's the riders. I don't think there was anything po-faced in the last article I wrote, I always try to celebrate the events and the helpers above all else

« Reply #2601 on: 01 December, 2019, 09:52:21 pm »
I've been enjoying my copy today. A good variety of voices, and even though I'm not planning to do PBP it was interesting to read about it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2602 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:07:36 am »
There’s definitely a change to a more journalistic and professional style of writing. That’s not the same as ‘better’.

Probably because my article didn't get in ;)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2603 on: 02 December, 2019, 08:11:54 am »
I feel your pain.

I had an article rejected about this time last year, I.e. in the run up to the AGM, on the grounds that it 'might be read by non-members'.

That was not an editorial decision...

« Reply #2604 on: 02 December, 2019, 08:15:16 am »
I've been enjoying my copy today.

I don't often wish I was 70, but I was rather curious about the call for audax volunteers aged between the ages of 70-80 to take part in a study at Nottingham University.

"Participants well be required to cycle while lying in an MRI scanner".

Water off a ducks back for recumbent riders. Probably not great in numbers though!

Anybody interested?
Garry Broad

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2605 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:01:44 am »

Have you had confirmation from Ged that it was received?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2606 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:04:59 am »
In some of my early copies riders sent poetry in.  Rather different to self-depracating, more intentional whimsy.

Be careful - I might submit my "Ode to a Stronger Rider" (distantly related to "Ode to a Nightingale") !

« Reply #2607 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:19:54 am »

I don't often wish I was 70,...

Yes! I'd be up for a go in that, but a while to wait yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2608 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
Anybody interested?

Thanks VB, good to draw attention to that. Page 3.

(I do wish I was 70)

Phil W

« Reply #2609 on: 02 December, 2019, 06:34:07 pm »
Mine arrived earlier this week. In my pile to read  with the BMC summit magazine.

« Reply #2610 on: 02 December, 2019, 07:30:21 pm »
Anybody interested?

Thanks VB, good to draw attention to that. Page 3.

(I do wish I was 70)

Get yourself signed up Tony.
We look forward to hearing all about it :-)
Garry Broad

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2611 on: 02 December, 2019, 08:04:54 pm »
Mine arrived earlier this week. In my pile to read  with the BMC summit magazine.
Funny you mention that ...

I've just got my 1st issue of Summit. It's like a different world! Totally unfair to make comparisons, but a MUCH more interesting read.
(and it has a lovely cycle-touring article  O:-) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #2612 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:58:01 pm »
Funny you mention that ...

I've just got my 1st issue of Summit. It's like a different world! Totally unfair to make comparisons, but a MUCH more interesting read.
(and it has a lovely cycle-touring article  O:-) )

I don't know that magazine. Is it also written entirely by readers and designed and edited by members working for considerably less than their professional rates?

« Reply #2613 on: 04 December, 2019, 05:23:58 pm »

I think the articles are written by us - I think the editor works with what he's sent.

« Reply #2614 on: 04 December, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »
I've been enjoying my copy today.

I don't often wish I was 70, but I was rather curious about the call for audax volunteers aged between the ages of 70-80 to take part in a study at Nottingham University.

"Participants well be required to cycle while lying in an MRI scanner".

Water off a ducks back for recumbent riders. Probably not great in numbers though!

Anybody interested?

Started the ball rolling a couple of days ago.

So far, I qualify for all their criteria. But if things move forward, there is a lot more information that they're going to need details about.

Cycling criteria includes being able to ride 100 km.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Martin

« Reply #2615 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:00:34 pm »
intrigued by the idea of cycling while having an MR scan;

Having indirectly been present at a few scans my understanding is that the subject has to stay completely motionless while the image is taken (several minutes) in order to get a good result. But this might be a moving scan

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2616 on: 05 December, 2019, 02:20:57 pm »
I'd guess fMRI, so low-resolution scanning in near-realtime in order to track changes in blood flow, rather than the high-resolution scanning used to look for anatomical whatevers.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2617 on: 07 March, 2020, 12:31:51 pm »
The cover of the latest issue is a banger!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2618 on: 07 March, 2020, 02:01:10 pm »
It looks like another cracking edition.

Got to say I didn’t agree with Mr Lennox’s opinions on using turbo trainers. Indoor training for me has been an epiphany for general fitness and has made audax all the more enjoyable.

It’s 2020 and things change.

rob

« Reply #2619 on: 07 March, 2020, 02:08:38 pm »

Got there this time.  Well put together and nice photos.

Redlight

« Reply #2620 on: 07 March, 2020, 03:03:05 pm »
This quarter's issue was blessed with some excellent contributions from members and there are already some good pieces in for the next one, but please keep them coming.

We're also hoping to introduce a couple of news pages from the next issue, for AUK-related stories that don't warrant a 700+ word article. This could be anything from new rides being added to the calendar, date or route changes, members' achievements through to, sadly, letting the rest of AUK know that a member has passed away.

Please send contributions to GedLennox@me.com, preferably with NEWS in the subject header. 

« Reply #2621 on: 07 March, 2020, 03:11:30 pm »
On page 12: "An Audax grandee was recently heard to describe the Mersey Roads 24 hour Time Trial as the easiest four points on the calendar".

Hey, that was me.  I'm an Audax grandee!  Although the article is about getting some serious distances done, even someone like me can give it a go and see how far they can get within 24 hours.  Anyone used to riding overnight Audaxes should have a go at least once.  You "only" need to complete 250 miles (400km) within the 24 hours to get 4 points.

For me 5 points (312 miles) proved to be a serious but achievable challenge, even as an unsupported ride with a Carradice saddlebag.  6 points (375 miles) would be completely beyond me, but not to many regular Audaxers.

« Reply #2622 on: 07 March, 2020, 03:26:17 pm »
So when do you graduate from 'grandee' to 'ancien'? I would have thought AUK/long distance cycling community is mercifully short of 'grandees'.

« Reply #2623 on: 07 March, 2020, 03:38:26 pm »
Possibly Greg was using "grandee" to indicate Mike's status as an official in Audax UK?  I think Mike's "defence" is fair enough in that you would get no climbing points for the Mersey route and you don't have any serious route-finding to do.  And if you have support you don't even have to find anywhere to re-fuel and there are no information controls.  You just have to ride, though 400k is in itself a big "just".  Nevertheless, it is probably true to allude to it as the easiest "just" IN THE CALENDAR.   But that in no way belittles the effort involved and Mike didn't seriously suggest that anyone could do it.  (Mike is a better rider than he always suggests, anyway.)

I think Greg was just using a journalistic hook to start the article off.  Slightly inaccurate (which is possibly why he didn't name Mike) but that's journalists for you!  It's a good article, too.

Peter

rob

« Reply #2624 on: 07 March, 2020, 06:58:44 pm »
Mike might be a Grandee but I’m a Seasoned Campaigner.

I’m not entirely sure if it’s a compliment.