Author Topic: Brickie's memorial?  (Read 2700 times)

Re: Brickie's memorial?
« Reply #25 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:19:31 am »
I was actually going to say with great difficulty . When I was serving my time I actually helped  repair a tunnel with a skew back arch, in refractory brick work . Refactor brickwork is wear you lay firebricks (high heat resistant bricks)  by spreading fire clay on the bricks like  butter then rub the brick together so you get a Tight 3mm to 4mm & full joints      ( no holes ) .  The tunnel was used to take smoke from beehive kilns, underground to a tall chimney . We had numbered all the bricks and taken Polaroid snaps  of the tunnel before we dismantled a section . Just as well as there was all shapes of bricks in it , would have been like a jigsaw puzzle with out a reference . Just After I served my time I worked on an tunnel at Carlisle shopping centre . It was designed so a fire engine could go through it , turned out the wrong size was given to the architect . Talk about tight !!! . The arch was a simple double rough ring arch normal bricks (not voussioirs bricks   think dairylee triangles ) . As we got in to the swing of it we were really flying . Dead easy this arch building we thought.  . The health and safety boffin had insisted on a  solid plywood  top to the arch centre , in case we dropped any thing . But traditional you use timber laths  . laths are great you can gauge were you are by using  the side of the lath and they have gaps between them so it is easy to  pop underneath and look up and keep the brickwork nice and straight  . The hard bit with arch building is the face side of the brick is hidden from you and on a elliptical  rough ring arch you have to increase or decrease the thickness of the perp joint of mortar on the rear of the brick while keeping the face side at 10 mm . When the arch centre formwork was dropped. We could see a tiny bit of the  brick work had a slight wave to the face . No one else noticed . It did look bloody impressive to me once pointed . But we were a bit deflated . Till we noticed another squad of bricklayers who were building an arch above a 4.5 m wide window  in voussioirs . One side of the arch had started one course of bricks lower than the other side . Some plonker had forgotten to put the gods truth  ( a stabila spirit  level )  on to the bottom of the timber formwork to check it for level. . A simple mistake , but its not being past on to the next generation of bricklayers . NVQ ( not very qualified)  bricklayers  don't even learn how to build chimneys now a days .   
Its More Fun With Three .

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Brickie's memorial?
« Reply #26 on: 21 March, 2020, 07:24:23 am »
I must learn how to down load pictures  . I built a miniaturise steam engine shed  at Beamish museum for  four and quarter  gauge locos . Its got a proper plinth , bands of Staffordshire blue bricks for the damp proof course  ,three arches each side in voussoirs , proper springers and key stones . A bulls eye window each end and its only about six feet long and two feet wide . Proper job !!!

I learned a little about Staffordshire blues from a riding companion on an Audax. Namely that they are very hard and dense, and are (or were) often used in parapets of railway bridges. Even now I seldom ride over a railway bridge without checking the colour of the brick, and remarking to anyone who's listening: "nice Staffordshire blues there" and they wonder why I'm mumbling about what they imagine is some sort of sheep or cheese. I also remember said audax companion telling me he had slipped a couple into his brother-in-law's suitcase before giving him a lift to the airport.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur