Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87758 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #25 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:22:13 pm »
Great stuff Andy (and Justin!).

This is exciting and a truly audacious undertaking, especially on t'cog.

I love the comment 'the roads got properly wessex' - any of us who have experienced a Wessex SR can surely picture what Jonah is talking about.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

hillbilly

« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:56:26 am »
Another day, another damned hill.

I trust Jonah managed to navigate the back lanes of deepest rural Wessex without the locals capturing the Outsider and maltreating him in a strange but ancient May ritual?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:20:33 am »
just to add to the excitement, emails from Justin getting delayed... this has just arrived,  but was written at 04:59:

"Bovey Tracey and nothing is open - sitting on the pavement eating Ritz crackers.  That last section was a mutha fucka!  It was very very lumpy and exposed over Exmoor.  I managed to ride through', save a few micro-naps to stave of the dozzies.  I also had to thwart an attempted double-badger attack"

!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:22:53 am »
...and now followed by this sent at 10:17:

"At Culmstock.  Progress is a lot slower than I would have hoped due to complete kack of energy.  I have dtopped for more food.  Last section nowhere near as  hard as the previous - I deserved the break"

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2015, 02:32:23 pm »
14:10
"Just got to Sedgemoor Services after another 60 odd K
Done about 370K in 25 hrs"

:thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:48:53 pm »
What's the time limit for this - 75 hours?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »
For BRM, yes. BR is a bit longer, allowing for over-distance. A perm is not BRM.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #32 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:51:49 pm »
What's the time limit for this - 75 hours?

The route sheet for last calendar event in year 2000 has a start on Friday 20:00 and finish by Monday 23:11. So yes 75 hrs plus a few extra mins. The suggested schedule was 500km in first 24 hrs, 300km in second 24 hrs and then 200km in final 24 hrs to the finish + a bit of margin. Hardest sections seem to be in first day then the AAA get a bit easier.

Keep on keeping on Jonah  :)

« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2015, 06:22:38 pm »
Looking forward to the next update!  I was a DNF in 2000.  I had got round PBP the previous year and managed to successfully delude myself that I could manage the CrAckpot. Losing a screw to one of my cleats the first night didn't help me as I ended up with some kind of weird elephantitis in my shin. 
allez pas facile sur le sudo

hillbilly

« Reply #34 on: 12 May, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
HerE cumz da Badassgers

Night falls
Furtive calls
Jonah's on the menu

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:15:12 pm »
Update at 18:46
Just got to Axminster.  Feeling a lot better than this morning.  Just ordered som fish & chips as sustainance for the next 80k to Tor Hole - I hope to have 520 K by eleven or twelve tonight.  I may press on for the next leg which is annother 60k or have an hour in the space blanket..  I have had a fw min breaks but no sleep as yet.  Today was glorious again but im glad its cooled somewhat

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:51:36 pm »
Best of luck to him - it looks like it will be unseasonably chilly tonight, so I hope he's got the layers to deal with it (being ex-military, I am sure he'll just wrestle one of those badgers to the ground and skin it using only his tyre levers).
Right! What's next?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »
is this ride really as hard as described above? i might put it on a bucket list then. keep going Jonah!

Chris S

« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:07:29 pm »
Best of luck to him - it looks like it will be unseasonably chilly tonight, so I hope he's got the layers to deal with it (being ex-military, I am sure he'll just wrestle one of those badgers to the ground and skin it using only his tyre levers).

* splort *

Thanks for that, Marcus.

* wipes bolognese sauce from laptop screen *

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #39 on: 13 May, 2015, 07:40:14 am »

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #40 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:09:14 am »
Any news of the progress of the bearded badger slayer?  :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #41 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:34:22 am »
its on my bucket list; has been for a while; but expect like other rides it will be deluged with applicants and i will discover a ride-full sign by the time i have negotiated leave with Mrs CET.  But that takes nothing away from Jonah's stirling solo effort.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #42 on: 13 May, 2015, 11:08:45 am »
If it ever ran as an event again, it would be nice to give Wessex SRs priority for entry.

Any news of our potential male merit 2015 award winner? (If he manages this and the maniac, then I can't see anyone being more deserving!). Anyway - he's still got a long way to go on this one.

Go go go you double hard bastard!
Right! What's next?

hillbilly

« Reply #43 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:37:47 pm »
I'm not a fan of prioritised entry.  But if this is what it takes to guarantee a place on a hypothetical calendar event of this ride, I am prepared to put my principles to one side  and stiff over less battle hardened members ;D

Lovely, calm weather down in the South East.  Clear blue skies with a gentle breeze.  Hopefully Jonah is enjoying similar conditions in the South West.

hillbilly

« Reply #44 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »
(If he manages this and the maniac, then I can't see anyone being more deserving!).

I can think of one UK randonneur who has trumped Jonah.  By some distance.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #45 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »
I expect so, it's, lovely here in Southeast Wales which isn't too far away from that.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #46 on: 13 May, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »
If it ever ran as an event again, it would be nice to give Wessex SRs priority for entry.

If it ever ran as an event again, what makes you think that anyone other than Wessex SRs would *want* to do it?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #47 on: 13 May, 2015, 05:23:08 pm »
HerE cumz da Badassgers

Night falls
Furtive calls
Jonah's on the menu

;D

H

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #48 on: 13 May, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »
is this ride really as hard as described above? i might put it on a bucket list then. keep going Jonah!

Why not give it a go yourself and find out   :demon:

H

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #49 on: 13 May, 2015, 06:48:32 pm »
Hi,
Justin's emails from the day, all stacked up on his phone, and came through together when he settled into the Wise Man at West Stafford for tea just now... in order the updates were:

06:37
Got in late to Wells so decided to kip in town on my way next control from 05;00

09:17
Thornbury Services -last leg was a toughie and took 4-hrs - feeling loads better after 3-hrs in a cardboard box in an alley in Wells!

14:46
Now at Zeals.  The countryside is epic. I particularly like the area around Wharley but have seen new sides to it.  The ride covers some parts of Hellfire but nothing is repeated.

Next leg is only 56 k to West Staford but will need to press on after as behind schedule.

18:12
In the Wise Man in West Stafford and what a nice pub it is too!  Lower back is plying up now but it stops if I jump of the bike and do a few stretches.

On my way to Codford next and then Membury where I hope I will be able to get a little sleep before the last two stages tomorrow. My left toe is rubbing in the heat and is really starting to smart.