Author Topic: "I'm trying to work out why...  (Read 864 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
"I'm trying to work out why...
« on: 27 October, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »
... I like my bike more than the car.  I mean, I just don't miss the car." 

So said the bloke.  The one who, until a couple of weeks ago hadn't ridden for over 10 years.  Who mocked me mercilessly about my time spent researching bikes on t'internet.  Who has already used the baby seat to transport a (large!) slow cooker in.  Who was delighted to discover that he could bungee a crate of beer on the rack and bring it home from the supermarket.  Who has started to text me almost every morning to tell me how long his (just under a mile) commute took this time.  Who has already bought 2 different bike locks and two different sets of lights. 

Tee hee hee! 

Re: "I'm trying to work out why...
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
A just under a mile journey was probably damaging his car. No time fo the engine to get up to temperature. If it was a modern diesel, even worse. Seemingly they need a motorway run every so often to clear the particulate filter.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: "I'm trying to work out why...
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »
In fairness, he's never driven to this job - he unexpectedly changed jobs about a month after we flogged the car and the new office is startlingly conveniently located.  And he usually walked to the old place, even when we had a car, until he started having the nursery/school run 3 days a week, which was a 3-4 mile round trip at the beginning and the end of each day.

I'm just somewhat tickled that he's only just discovered quite how liberating it can be to own a bike now, when he's in his mid 30s!