Author Topic: Compact tour camera whats yours  (Read 10215 times)

Re: Compact tour camera whats yours
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:57:02 pm »
I mainly used Mrs Nutty's discards of n-2.  I've killed two of them through road vibration (also killed her car GPS that was in a pannier for "safety and not leave in car" in the same way).  On one tour I stopped at Asda and bought a cheapo camera, only to find when I got home that no photos had worked, but I managed to get a refund on that.

My main image capturing is my eyes, my memories, and breathing in the atmosphere of being out.  After all, nobody is interested in seeing my photos when I get back.

« Reply #26 on: 14 September, 2021, 11:54:41 am »
Panasonic/Lumix DMC TZ80

Pros:
- superzoom lens (24-700)
- *** viewfinder
- camera controls
- battery life (compared to a phone)
- Video (but never use it)

Cons:
- heavier than I would like

« Reply #27 on: 14 September, 2021, 12:36:02 pm »
Most stuff is done on the phone, but if I'm going somewhere special I'll take the Lumix DMC TZ80, mainly for the optical zoom and the RAW facility. 

I'll sometimes take the same shot on the Lumix and the phone so I can quickly share the phone image with others.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #28 on: 14 September, 2021, 01:03:03 pm »
iPhone. 

Rugged & waterproof cameras are a bit crap, regular cameras aren't that rugged.   A lot of small cameras have a sensor the same size as a mobile, so images aren't going to be that much better, and the phone will always be nearby and charged, and you don't have to arse about getting the pics to your phone for sharing.

If I **was** going to buy a camera for tours that Lumix would be on the list, along with the Sony RX100 and the canon G5.

« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2021, 01:26:50 pm »

The only camera I carry on a tour is my old and trusty Canon Ixus100. Not much bigger than a credit card so it is easy to carry in a rear pocket and it has an optical viewfinder for composing pictures in bright light.

I've got a Canon IXUS 100 IS* and it's what I would carry if I wanted a tiny camera to specifically take photos when I'm out otherwise I use my phone. Its biggest advantage over a phone is the zoom lens.

These posts made me log on to eBay and for under £30 I now own an Ixus 100 IS.  :thumbsup: 8)

I've just bid for one*. If I don't win no worries. I have a Canon Powershot A580 (which is ok for my needs).
Just taken delivery of a Canon IXUS 100 IS*, won in an ebay auction (sold by the BHF). I was the only bidder @ £9.99 (plus £3.50 postage).

« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2021, 01:30:53 pm »
My current preferred choice for dayrides and longer audaxes is a Fuji X-Pro2 with a 35/1.4 lens. OK, not everybody's choice but it certainly gives me the desired results.

« Reply #31 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:18:07 pm »

Just taken delivery of a Canon IXUS 100 IS*, won in an ebay auction (sold by the BHF). I was the only bidder @ £9.99 (plus £3.50 postage).

Bargain!  :thumbsup:
What's this bottom line for anyway?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:26:28 pm »
I loved my Canon IXUS 70 but partner wrecked it and I'm neither taking photos nor cycling now.

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2021, 07:29:01 pm »

Bargain!  :thumbsup:

It came with a battery. I already have an sd card and usb cable. All I need to do is buy a battery charger/cable.
I've put in a bid on one.

[I don't need another camera*, but at that price, I've very little to lose].

* Minolta XG-1: bought from London Camera Exchange in Salford (1981) for £100.
* Canon Powershot A580: Insurance paid out in 2010 to replace an A530
* Camera on my phone

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2021, 09:37:28 pm »
My current preferred choice for dayrides and longer audaxes is a Fuji X-Pro2 with a 35/1.4 lens. OK, not everybody's choice but it certainly gives me the desired results.
How do you carry that while cycling?

« Reply #35 on: 22 September, 2021, 06:08:29 am »
How do you carry that while cycling?

It easily fits in my handlebar bag, which I carry anyway. A lot of space to spare for food and spare glasses, or if I wish, extra lenses.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #36 on: 19 June, 2022, 04:45:08 pm »
Canon powershot S120.
It's true pocket size, built like a tank, has useful 24-120mm zoom equivalent, large sensor and RAW files.
It's provided sterling service and taken some of my favourite images (including my favourite image ever).
I got it using Tesco vouchers ... back when Tesco vouchers got you a lot of great free stuff.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #37 on: 19 June, 2022, 08:02:52 pm »
In a coincidence I got the same camera from eBay last week as a take cycling camera now I no longer have a smartphone. It's interesting how good iPhone cameras have got, I've had to relearn a lot of things that the iPhone just did for you...

Great camera though so far

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #38 on: 19 June, 2022, 08:56:11 pm »
If I'm not using my Motorola Moto G8 I carry a Panasonic Lumix TZ-70. Last tour I went on I also carried a Rollei B35.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 20 June, 2022, 12:23:12 am »
In a coincidence I got the same camera from eBay last week as a take cycling camera now I no longer have a smartphone. It's interesting how good iPhone cameras have got, I've had to relearn a lot of things that the iPhone just did for you...

Great camera though so far
Phone cameras are getting very good BUT so they should be at the price.  I can get a new, extremely good, DSLR kit for the price of the latest iPhones and Samsung Galaxys.  Capable of shooting weddings.

I take most photos on my phone, because I have it with me.  I'd always prefer to have my full-frame Canon though.  Magic happens when you use full-frame and Pro level glass.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.