Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2459434 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3475 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:32:38 am »
Adding Proofide to the Brooks could bugger the whole balance of the bike.  Bet you hadn't thought of that.

LEE

« Reply #3476 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:48:20 am »

23.2lb like this, with dynamo lighting but no mudguards.  Estimate 21.8lb without lights, 22.6lb with mudguards but no lights and 24lb with everything.  Rock bottom for a factory Brompton is about 21lb (1-speed, titanium parts, no mudguards or lights) but this is a 3-speed.  It's about 4oz heavier run as a 4-speed.

Very nice colour, RZ. However, the wiring on the fork blade is a little unevenly spaced in places. Shocking!  ;)

Damp proof is a bit slack

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3477 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:52:46 am »
That looks great, Roger.  Half a stone lighter than mine!  Which I'm guessing is over £50 per lb!

I hate to say it, but.....needs black Brooks and grips and a pic in front of a white backdrop  ;)

Ti cages next?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3478 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:00:35 am »
Very nice, Roger.

Note to self: must bring dark glasses with me to BWC.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3479 on: 20 July, 2010, 01:10:59 pm »
But does Ham know that Buttermere, where Lee was is actually next to Ham on the map?  ;D

Excellent spot.  Yes, Ham was next on my route.  

Photo taken at top of Ham Hill. Spooky.

Even spookier you were nowhere to be seen...... I may be getting confused, it happens a lot these days

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3480 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »
The brickwork looks a little rough as well.  Disappointing.
It's atrocious.  Apparently they're handmade bricks, which I find slightly dubious since Bovis Homes cut corners on everything else.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3481 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:55:13 pm »
<filthy, dirty Brompton pr0n>

*drool*

*little moment*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

« Reply #3482 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:58:30 pm »
I rode it to work today.  The hub is a little dry (it was drastically over-oiled for the BWC last year but has leaked it all out since; it's not been ridden enough to seal itself like the AW hub has).  Apart from wanting a shot of GL4, no problems and I could ride it to Dunwich.

« Reply #3483 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:46:47 pm »
<filthy, dirty Brompton pr0n>
*little moment*

If it had a black Team Pro saddle and black leather bar grips then I, too, would have struggled to contain myself. 

The paintwork, and overall sortedness, is gorgeous.  It's not working for me aesthetically with the honey leather though.

Anyway, N+1 for me tomorrow.  Any guesses?

« Reply #3484 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:03:37 pm »

rogerzilla

« Reply #3485 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
Thanks  :)

I do actually have a black Team Pro but it has steel rails (it's on the Hewitt, which is already pretty heavy).  And you wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go to to obtain two 95mm leather grips!

The reduced weight is actually noticeable when picking up the bike, which you do quite a bit with a Brompton.  Note for other mudguard strippers; the bike does not roll when folded because it stands on the rear tyre (which is jammed against the frame when folded) and you need two special parts: the cable fender disc and the C-type hook for the LH fork dropout.  The mudguards are going back on after the Dun Run anyway, because it has to do a week in the North Pennines and a bit of workaday transport stuff, followed by the FNRttS on 20th August.  Then it will be temporarily stripped again for the BWC, with no lights or dynamo hub to get it down to minimum weight.

Biggest indulgence: a Chris King 2Nut headset.  I got Argos to face 1mm from the top and bottom of the head tube and the stack height is perfect - 5 threads left for the locknut.

« Reply #3486 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
Is their any performance benefit to riding a bike like that?

« Reply #3487 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »
Thanks  :)

I do actually have a black Team Pro but it has steel rails (it's on the Hewitt, which is already pretty heavy).  And you wouldn't believe the trouble I had to go to to obtain two 95mm leather grips!

The reduced weight is actually noticeable when picking up the bike, which you do quite a bit with a Brompton.  Note for other mudguard strippers; the bike does not roll when folded because it stands on the rear tyre (which is jammed against the frame when folded) and you need two special parts: the cable fender disc and the C-type hook for the LH fork dropout.  The mudguards are going back on after the Dun Run anyway, because it has to do a week in the North Pennines and a bit of workaday transport stuff, followed by the FNRttS on 20th August.  Then it will be temporarily stripped again for the BWC, with no lights or dynamo hub to get it down to minimum weight.

Biggest indulgence: a Chris King 2Nut headset.  I got Argos to face 1mm from the top and bottom of the head tube and the stack height is perfect - 5 threads left for the locknut.

Chris King.  Hmmmmmm.

I'm sure it looks fantastic in the flesh - photos on pooters are very limiting.  Selle SLR for the BWC though? 

« Reply #3488 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »
I do feel you ought to have made more effort with the crank positioning in the photo. I mean, that's just... any old how  :o

I'll be generous about the valve positions; let's call it a trick of the lens.

:P

« Reply #3489 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »

it's on the Hewitt, which is already pretty heavy.

Don't I know it, having passed it down the 10ft wall on the way to Roadrunner's house on the FNRttS  ;).

The Brompton looks good Roger but Sergeant Pluck's comments re crank and valve positioning are apt.

« Reply #3490 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
Sunny evening stroll round Mugdock. (testing flickr sharing)

rogerzilla

« Reply #3491 on: 21 July, 2010, 06:35:12 am »
I'm sure it looks fantastic in the flesh - photos on pooters are very limiting.  Selle SLR for the BWC though? 
I'll probably borrow the Flite from the Fuji.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3492 on: 21 July, 2010, 08:30:32 pm »
Sunny evening stroll round Mugdock. (testing flickr sharing)

found a tin of yellow paint did you? :thumbsup:

Zoidburg

« Reply #3493 on: 21 July, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »

Looks damn good.
It's very nice but do gangs of feral children still throw stones at RZ for riding a ladies shopping bike?

rogerzilla

« Reply #3494 on: 21 July, 2010, 09:20:03 pm »
I have decided that it is not really bedded-in enough for the Dun Run.  Did a few miles tonight and had to increase the preload on the suspension block, which really compresses over the first few miles.  It's also hard work on rough roads; I think the Kojak tyres may actually roll worse than Marathon Pluses or Stelvios.  On the positive side, it climbs well and the hub sounds much happier with a shot of oil.

« Reply #3495 on: 21 July, 2010, 10:16:46 pm »
I have decided that it is not really bedded-in enough for the Dun Run.  Did a few miles tonight and had to increase the preload on the suspension block, which really compresses over the first few miles.  It's also hard work on rough roads; I think the Kojak tyres may actually roll worse than Marathon Pluses or Stelvios.  On the positive side, it climbs well and the hub sounds much happier with a shot of oil.

Big Jens would just ride it into submission.  8)

« Reply #3496 on: 22 July, 2010, 11:36:05 am »
N+1!

New Brommie.  Stock M3L, apart from a Brooks B17 on an extended seatpost, easy wheels, Brompton rear light and firm suspension block.  Oh, and I've applied loads of ACF-50 to the inside of the frame tubes.

It came very well prepared by Avon Valley Cyclery in Bath - they'd even stripped, greased and adjusted the front hub properly, which saves me a job.  I'll retension the wheels in a few weeks but, again, the mechanic at AVC has run a spoke key over them and they are nice and tight and true.

« Reply #3497 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »

I thought it would be better with a black saddle but I'm not so sure now - the brown is growing on me..

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3498 on: 22 July, 2010, 01:22:44 pm »

Nice.  What's stuck in the front spokes though?

Nice piece of wood too.....whatcha gonna use that for then?

« Reply #3499 on: 22 July, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »
That's  a  leaf on the driveway and a bit of spare fencepost - it'll no doubt end up as kindling this winter!