Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2459600 times)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3975 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:23:56 pm »
You have managed to build a bike that looks as though it has been photographed in sepia. 

It's lovely.

Its 'photographic grey'!

[Poor sensitivity of early photographic emulsions promted railway locomotive builders to often paint the first locomotive of a class 'photographic grey', with all the appropriate lining and decroration, for the commemorative photograph, as the more usual dark green / dark red / black liveries would not photograph satisfactorily. The locomotive would then be repainted and relined to the client's specified livery]

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3976 on: 19 December, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »
meet 'The SLAYER'  Rocky Mountain bikes are hand built in Canada, this was born in 2004.  Never had a full susser before, so now I'll have to offload my fixie to make room in the shed, Oh happy days.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3977 on: 19 December, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »
I like that, perfect for this weather too!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3978 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:18:01 am »
My commuter, and one time Audax bike, in Christmas mode:

Or should that be disco mode?

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3979 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
Kewl!
Getting there...

« Reply #3980 on: 24 December, 2010, 09:59:51 am »
Nice work there Andrij.  Just yesterday morning I was remembering the crimble lights I rode with last year, and lamenting the fact that I've not cycled (not even once) in the last month due to unwellness.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3981 on: 24 December, 2010, 10:44:01 am »
Wahey!  Butterfly also rode with three strings of Christmas lights yesterday - red at the rear; white at the front, of course ;)
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3982 on: 24 December, 2010, 10:52:58 am »
We're missing the tandem from M I B . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #3983 on: 28 December, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »
I've been tweaking the Ribble, from this.......

To this.....

Mainly driven by my gaining a Brooks swift ti......in honey, but also because I had always planned to fit shallower drops and narrower bars since aquiring the bike from a member of this ere parish last year.

I couldn't afford Brooks bar tape, specially considering I have never fitted any before and would have to pay to have fitted at LBS, so opted for Fizik and decided to have a go fitting myself....lower risk and not a bad job considering I just had Utube as a guide.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3984 on: 28 December, 2010, 03:21:05 pm »
Looks very neatly done.

What are the new bars?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #3985 on: 28 December, 2010, 03:55:52 pm »
Ritchey classic...loosely based on classic design but oversize. I really like the feel of them but haven't ridden them yet. They're only 40cm c 2 c.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3986 on: 28 December, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »
Another Ribble Winter frame  :thumbsup:

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #3987 on: 28 December, 2010, 04:14:04 pm »
Slightly smaller than yours  :)

« Reply #3988 on: 28 December, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
The new pompino, finished it today, rides great.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #3989 on: 28 December, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »

VERY NICE  :thumbsup: 
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #3990 on: 28 December, 2010, 08:13:56 pm »

Lovely bike. 

But isn't the chain just a tiny bit slack?  :)

« Reply #3991 on: 28 December, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »
Already posted on the fettling thread, but he's a XT equipped Raleigh Peak I've just finished rebuilding.

Bought from a charity shop for £15. New Bottom bracket & second-hand grips, bar ends, saddle and pedals fitted (probably about £10 of items from stock in the spares box), a bit of respraying on stem & seatpost, and full strip, clean & bearing-service.

I guess it dates from about 1993. I had the LX equipped 'Summit' version BITD, but it was stolen from my garage.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3992 on: 28 December, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
^^^ Very nice John. A bit too clean though!

« Reply #3993 on: 29 December, 2010, 01:43:59 pm »
Prompted by a minor back "problem", I have spent hours looking at "Dutch Bikes". I was/am very tempted by the some of the 8 speed gear/hub braked models - but they are v heavy and v expensive. So. converted the front ends on 3 so far to give a sit up and beg ride. And it is EXCELLENT. How I wish I'd taken this route ages ago. 9 speed (and mainly XT) gives me much the same range/ratios as an Alfine (and with a Tange Prestige frame and mainly XT it is a whole lot lighter than a near 1000 quid "Dutch" - can buy a lot of cassettes for that).

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

corshamjim

« Reply #3994 on: 29 December, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »
I like the colour scheme, oncemore.  :thumbsup:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3995 on: 30 December, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
Prompted by a minor back "problem", I have spent hours looking at "Dutch Bikes". I was/am very tempted by the some of the 8 speed gear/hub braked models - but they are v heavy and v expensive. So. converted the front ends on 3 so far to give a sit up and beg ride. And it is EXCELLENT. How I wish I'd taken this route ages ago. 9 speed (and mainly XT) gives me much the same range/ratios as an Alfine (and with a Tange Prestige frame and mainly XT it is a whole lot lighter than a near 1000 quid "Dutch" - can buy a lot of cassettes for that).

Verr nice oncemore.

Where did you find those bars?

I would like to Dutch-ify my commuter bike (a hybrid/trekking bike).
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #3996 on: 30 December, 2010, 07:43:21 pm »
Thank you!

The bars are these:

SILVER ALLOY NORTH ROAD COMFORT  BIKE /CYCLE HANDLEBARS on eBay (end time  03-Jan-11 12:59:22 GMT)

I've bought quite a few other oddments from the Seller - always good value and service.

If you want more "extreme" (which might suit if for example you cannot easily also "raise" the front end (I've a steerer extender in the one in the photo)), then search ebay on Raleigh North Rounder. I have fitted these to my Dawes Synthesis for much the same efeect without an extender/raiser as it has a nice quill. They are wider and give more sweep-back. I haven't got a photo yet!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

LEE

« Reply #3997 on: 31 December, 2010, 05:31:36 pm »
Same Condor Tempo Fratello but photographed today with my Xmas present to myself attached.

Carradice SuperC Saddlebag and QR Bagman support.  I bought it for 400/600/1200km rides in 2011 and, long term, credit-card touring and weekend tours.

It's significantly bigger than my barley and much easier to use with gloves because of the clip-lock buckles.
The Bagman support also means it sits vertically which makes it much easier to get things out of/pack things in.  It will be very easy to take too much now, I need to exercise self-control.

The white Hi-Viz stripes are incredibly bright, much more so than my hi-viz gilet.

YACF enamel badge has pride of place, I may sew my RRTTY badge on it next.

I must clean that bike soon, it's filthy!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3998 on: 31 December, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
Classy
Getting there...

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #3999 on: 31 December, 2010, 11:42:51 pm »
I can't bring myself to stab a hole in my barley I took delivery of today.   Might use the light loop too.

Lovely setup though