Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 396249 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2575 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:37:45 pm »
I have an assortment of symbolic links in my Maildir for exactly this reason...

« Reply #2576 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:41:09 am »
JD Sports. How does an online ordered emailed gift card go out of stock? Has your warehouse run out of emails in the couple of minutes since I added the card to my basket?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2577 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:18:41 pm »
They’re waiting for a supplier to fax them some more?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2578 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:58:52 pm »
I start by creating a god mode folder, that helps remind it which way the relationship should be.

Used it in earnest today, cheers Zipperhead  :thumbsup: :)

ian

« Reply #2579 on: 10 September, 2021, 02:47:38 pm »
As of next Thursday, I shall be attempting to use a Windows laptop for the first time in several years. You may wish to ensure any young children or anyone of a sensitive disposition are not reading this topic after that point.

This is a public service announcement.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2580 on: 10 September, 2021, 03:45:54 pm »
Nurse!  The screens!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2581 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:37:01 pm »
To someone trying to sell products to the general public, email addresses are of the form:- joe.blogs<jblogs@company.co.uk>

When you send an email from:- jblogs@company.co.uk<bounce@random.com> that makes most email systems send email replys to the wrong place and makes it more difficult to reply and possibly buy stuff.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2582 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:08:28 am »
Sharepointless!

Previous company, to update a doc on sharepoint you had to lock, checkout, edit doc, upload new version, check in.

Working with customer on their sharepoint; open a doc in Word (from sharepoint) and it is auto linked so that auto saves update the copy in sharepoint. EVEN IF YOU TRY TO SAVE LOCALLY!
So my edits, that I wanted to be reviewed before sending to customer, weren't saved locally but went automatically to the customer's sharepoint.

Absolute bloody shambles.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2583 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:15:35 am »
You have to use the 'save a copy' option to somewhere local. Otherwise, you're just editing the online version in the desktop app. You can't persuade it otherwise.

« Reply #2584 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:37:38 am »
You have to use the 'save a copy' option to somewhere local. Otherwise, you're just editing the online version in the desktop app. You can't persuade it otherwise.
Yeah, I'd done that . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2585 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
Downloading a copy on our version seems to create a new version unconnected with the old. It's a crunky system though, some diabolical mash-up several older versions of SharePoint and some febrile OneDrive dreams. I think on a good day even it isn't sure how it's supposed to work.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2586 on: 15 September, 2021, 01:08:12 pm »
When it comes to Sharepoint, there is no such animal as a “good day”.

ian

« Reply #2587 on: 16 September, 2021, 01:38:48 pm »
Adobe Stinky Cloud, the ex-mothership understandingly cancelled my account, and the fucker instantly hides all the shared files (a couple of which I wanted to archive), so copying or deleting becomes an exciting game of find where it's hidden them.

By all means stop the syncing and remove access to any cloud-stored files, but really, fucking hiding the local copies of the files? Clungmonkeys.

ian

« Reply #2588 on: 16 September, 2021, 07:21:04 pm »
Well, Windows looks posher. Crashes just as much, and you never seem to be more than three clicks away from the Win95/NT UI. Settings are still distributed around the system like the chunks in a drunk's epic end-of-the-night-kebab barf in the street.

I'm obscurely pleased with myself for remembering the – oh god it's still there – Registry Editor, which seemed to offer the only way to restore God's Own Method of Scrolling to my Magic Mouse.

It's no wonder Finestre is now Hell's CEO, it's truly is a creature of diabolical brilliance.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2589 on: 16 September, 2021, 11:40:24 pm »
WoE are you doing to make it crash so much  ??? I can't remember the last time Windows crashed for me.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2590 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:15:50 am »
WoE are you doing to make it crash so much  ??? I can't remember the last time Windows crashed for me.

Me neither. I've had hardware crashes, but Windows 10 has generally been excellent - I also use MacOS, and, while it's still (more) seamless if you have a lot of Apple kit, Windows is now just as easy to use. Obviously it can be more complex as it has to be adaptable to so much different hardware, but that hasn't given me any issues. And, as my primary use of computers now is in connection with flight simulator apps, Windows is essential (the FS/games industry has relegated Macs to also-rans).

« Reply #2591 on: 17 September, 2021, 08:31:38 am »

Perhaps he's using Windows 98 or something. 

I have found Windows to be extremely stable since Windows 7 but then I didn't venture into 8 which was by all accounts a bit of a mare in comparison. 

ian

« Reply #2592 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:41:03 am »
I think, to be honest, it was having an internecine Microsoft scuffle with Teams, that has seemed to resolve itself.

Plus it doesn't seem to know how to go to sleep, close lid, go away, open lid, and erm, blank screen. There's probably a setting.

It's Windows 10, they wouldn't give me XP, not matter how nice I asked. We do have a typical long-suffering IT guy, oh it was blessed fun seeing him setting up the new starters yesterday. Best entertainment I've had for weeks.

I'm happier now I've made the Magic Mouse magic again and found an HDMI adaptor for the second monitor (it's a super-svelte Dell with only the single USB-C port). Apparently, it's a bunfight to get computers at the moment with the chip shortages (and we're taking on about 100 people this month, so I'm glad they didn't give me one that has been pre-sneezed on).

« Reply #2593 on: 17 September, 2021, 12:06:40 pm »

Perhaps he's using Windows 98 or something. 

I have found Windows to be extremely stable since Windows 7 but then I didn't venture into 8 which was by all accounts a bit of a mare in comparison.

I use Mac at home but Win10 in the hospital and in private.  I cannot remember the last time there was a full Win10 crash.  Office is pretty good as well but other software can be flaky.  We have a audio recording app at the hospital which has to be loaded before the EMR or it simply fails to load.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2594 on: 17 September, 2021, 03:56:31 pm »
My main objections to Windows 10 are:

-I can't find anything, because I haven't used Windows seriously since the XP era.
-Microsoft still haven't worked out how to apply updates quietly in the background, without enforced reboots or prolonged startup times at the least convenient moment.
-Buggy drivers, which are over-represented because they're usually why I'm having to use Windows in the first place.

Performance-wise it seems pretty good, even on crusty hardware like the Official BHPC Jam-Filled Babbage Engine.  The aesthetics don't bother me particularly, because I only use Windows for short periods to get a specific job done.  The lack of configurability drives barakta bonkers - is it really that difficult to let the user configure the interface colours and fonts, like we've been able to on most things since computers got colour displays?

ian

« Reply #2595 on: 17 September, 2021, 04:15:26 pm »
Updates are still a pain in the rear, it downloaded a bazillion separately this morning (though at least it didn't force me to restart). There might be a better option, I really don't need to know, Apple just package them up and deliver and install about 600 GB of them every othernight while I sleep.

Then Dell decided it wanted to update loads of things too, which I duly agreed to, and they all failed for no apparent reason it felt like disclosing.

There are also exciting things like antivirus and malware checkers that I'll leave to the mothership to maintain.

Start-up is still relatively slow compared to a Mac and I still can't figure out to do a proper close lid sleep and instant restart when you open it. I'm not sure why the Bitlocker thing isn't just integrated like FileVault. It feels a bit less responsive.

Other than that, while I'd prefer a Mac, it's a bit of a muchness these days.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2596 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:04:52 pm »
The only way I reckon I can get W10 to install an update it’s been failing to install for the past ten months is by reinstalling the the whole wretched thing from scratch.  Which wouldn’t be so onerous were it not for the dozens of apps that would need to reinstalled, plus the large amount of tweaking required to get the bloody thing the way I want it.  Bah!

ian

« Reply #2597 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:23:26 pm »
Oddly, they've given me full admin powers without me having to submit a ticket in triplicate, a blood sample, and written pleas from the eighteen layers of management above me and a note from my mum. With great power comes almost zero responsibility.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2598 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:54:57 pm »
The only way I reckon I can get W10 to install an update it’s been failing to install for the past ten months is by reinstalling the the whole wretched thing from scratch.  Which wouldn’t be so onerous were it not for the dozens of apps that would need to reinstalled, plus the large amount of tweaking required to get the bloody thing the way I want it.  Bah!

I believe that I can give you a solution to that. My office PC (as in, the one next to my desk in a far flung place called "the city") was toast. Wouldn't run any updates, programs took 15 seconds to start, those that would even start. I would have been quite happy to go and zap it and load it from scratch, it doesn't run much more than office, superputty and virtualbox, but then I found the solution....

download a windows iso, right click on it to mount it (no need to put it on a usb stick) then run the setup.exe on it. It will ask you if you want to keep your existing software after which apparently it replaces windows in-situ.

At the end it reboots, and will initially give you the welcome screen from a fresh windows installation but all your treasured programs are still installed.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2599 on: 18 September, 2021, 12:43:25 am »

I believe that I can give you a solution to that. My office PC (as in, the one next to my desk in a far flung place called "the city") was toast. Wouldn't run any updates, programs took 15 seconds to start, those that would even start. I would have been quite happy to go and zap it and load it from scratch, it doesn't run much more than office, superputty and virtualbox, but then I found the solution....

download a windows iso, right click on it to mount it (no need to put it on a usb stick) then run the setup.exe on it. It will ask you if you want to keep your existing software after which apparently it replaces windows in-situ.

At the end it reboots, and will initially give you the welcome screen from a fresh windows installation but all your treasured programs are still installed.

Ooooh, ta!  I'll give that a go when I'm back in civilisation.  My misbehaving one runs Stuffs normally but keeps bleating about a “page fault in non-paged area” when I try the update; also the usual shutdown options have screwed themselves to Heck and back.