Author Topic: Recommend me a new laptop - would XP be better?  (Read 7710 times)

cometworm

Re: Recommend me a new laptop - would XP be better?
« Reply #25 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:30:27 am »
I am sure Mircrosoft dropped all the non peripheral hardware licence stuff a while ago.

Nope. See this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2321572,00.asp

Wot is "non-peripheral hardware" to comply with MS licensing?

I thought all copies were not acceptable.

It's not a "copy", it's a genuine XP license. Basically, companies that build PCs (i.e. Original Equipment Manufacturers, OEMs) can still buy XP in order to preload this onto the computers they sell. This doesn't just mean the big manufacturers, but also the little shops that build computers from scratch. As long as you buy it with a piece of "non-peripheral hardware" (not sure of the legal ruling that defined it, but I got mine with a piece of RAM) this is considered an OEM sale.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:40:58 am »
I am sure Mircrosoft dropped all the non peripheral hardware licence stuff a while ago.

Nope. See this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2321572,00.asp

Oh I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the link.

« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:08:38 am »
Wait till you see my Advent 4211 (well, a rebadged MSI Wind)!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:15:34 am »
Charlotte, I am wondering about your reasoning for the need for Windows, thus:

1) citrix, there is a perfectly good, supported citrix client for Linux (I set up a call centre dual booting desktops with windows/thin linux citrix client and can vouch for it's stability and usefulness, so much so that a number of users stopped using the windows boot option and stuck with Citrix)
2) Watching DVDs, that's what Mplayer, Xine and VLC are for! :) Provided you have libdvdcss and libdvdread installed all is good with the world
3) GPS - I would make a good guess that it could be supported natively, or if not via Wine.  Which make and model is it? I currently have Memory map working fine on my Dell laptop (running Fedora 9), but currently do not have a GPS to test the connectivity with.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:20:47 am »
Ah yes. Wine...

Y'see, I'm one of those types who like Ubuntu and know how to apt-get and how to do basic file shuffling about, but that's more or less it.  Trying to get stuff like Citrix working, or installing Windows software in Wine usually calls for advanced buggering about in bash which I Just Can't Do.

I'd like to be able to say that I'm all geeky and I can get my Linux machine to do all of this - and maybe one day I will.  I'll certainly keep trying. 

But right now, I need stuff that Just Works, because I can't currently get into work from home and I can't use my GPS that I've just bought and I can't burn a DVD and I'm royally pissed off about it.

So whilst I figure out how to do all of this with Linux, I need a bum-basic, guaranteed to work XP lappy.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:24:11 am »
Wine's easy, if a bit limited sometimes.  My abilities are of the same levels as your Charlotte, and I can do stuff with it. 

I shall be getting a GPS any day now so I'll see what can be done.

tiermat

« Reply #31 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:26:42 am »
Have you thought of trying Sterling? SterlingXS - Cheap New & Refurbished Laptops & Computers

Looks like they have a few nice laptops on there right now which would fit the bill nicely, i.e decent spec, less than £400 and XP Pro
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:55:12 am »
Mmmmm - I looked at Stirling when I was considering a sub-notebook, before I discovered the eeePC. 

The main issue is that I want both XP (rather than Vista) and a DVD writer.  Oh - preferably less than £300 as well.

So I've just spoken to them and the only lappy that fits the bill is the DEL1520/44 Dell Inspiron 1520 notebook - silver case with Bubblegum Pink Microsatin finish.

I'd not normally go for a pink laptop - and it's a "factory outlet" jobbie with light scratches, but that looks like a reasonable deal.  What do you think?

Or should I buy a Vista machine and try to downgrade it?

« Reply #33 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:58:08 am »
the pink one would go nicely with your phone..

:D

tiermat

« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:02:45 am »
That sounds reasonable, but your other option, as you say is to buy one with Vista on and downgrade it.  IIRC the Vista license allows you to install XP (soemthing that MS has had to do for years at the behest of businesses who are wary of trying the lastest and "greatest" OS).

If needs be I have an original Dell XP install CD that will work with a Dell laptop, let me know if you want to borrow it.  Before anyone shouts up, this is not illegal as the hardware the OS would be going on will have a valid License(COA) for Vista/XP so all I would be doing is lending the media.

« Reply #35 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:18:19 am »
For £300 or less you really start to compromise on the processor etc. For £400 I think you'll get something with a bit more life in it that will work better. This Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-12X Laptop PC comes in just under £400 (inc. VAT) it's got a dual core processor, 1GB of memory a 120GB hard drive DVD-RW Wi-Fi and 15.4" screen, and XP Pro installed.

PC Pro A-list: Value Laptop = Dell Inspiron 1525 for around £400

alchemy

« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:43:54 am »
That sounds reasonable, but your other option, as you say is to buy one with Vista on and downgrade it.  IIRC the Vista license allows you to install XP (soemthing that MS has had to do for years at the behest of businesses who are wary of trying the lastest and "greatest" OS).

If needs be I have an original Dell XP install CD that will work with a Dell laptop, let me know if you want to borrow it.  Before anyone shouts up, this is not illegal as the hardware the OS would be going on will have a valid License(COA) for Vista/XP so all I would be doing is lending the media.

I was told that you can only downgrade a machine that has Vista "premium" (or whatever the proper name is) on it. My laptop has Vista home basic on it. Does anyone know anything about this or was I being told a load of cobblers?

tiermat

« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:51:07 am »

I was told that you can only downgrade a machine that has Vista "premium" (or whatever the proper name is) on it. My laptop has Vista home basic on it. Does anyone know anything about this or was I being told a load of cobblers?

According to this, they are right...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:06:14 pm »
What I would do:

1. buy a lappy at the Best Deal you can get, regardless of installed OS
2. buy some extra RAM for your old lappy (check limit!) and an OEM copy of XP [a)so you have an install disk and b) read on]
3. install your new copy of XP on your new pooter and enjoy
4. wipe your old laptop and install preferred distro of Linux, VirtualBox and xp (using your old licence key) and enjoy

Best of all worlds ;D
Pen Pusher

« Reply #39 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:21:53 pm »
If you're going for the buy a laptop and reformat it game, I'd be tempted with one of these to save you the cost of a Vista license.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~july_inspnnb_1525_ubuntu_n0752515~~

I'm sure you could pick up a cheap & legal copy of XP on eBay...

Actually, I've been toying with one of these myself to replace our ageing thinkpad, particularly as I can get a legitimate free Windoze license through work.

Not adventurous enough to consider just leaving Ubuntu on there though.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #40 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:27:49 pm »
If you're after a cheap laptop

Sub-£400 laptops: we pick the most powerful budget laptops available

Caveat - I haven't read it closely, nor know anything about the hardware.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:32:04 pm »
I think I may have cracked it.  What do we think of this, chaps?

LENOVO N200 T5500 1GB 160GB DVD-RW 15.4" XP PRO - Ebuyer

tiermat

« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:34:39 pm »
Looks good, Lenovo have kept up the good name the IBM built with it's Thinkpad line, I'd say go for it.

One caveat(there had to be one didn't there?), if you can find it somewhere else at that price, buy it from the other place.  Or keep your fingers crossed that it never goes wrong....

I'm an ex-ebuyer employee and I still think their aftersales service is the most shite-est thing since the invention of shite...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:51:59 pm »
You've mentioned that before - a bit worriying...

I've bought a fair amount of kit from eBuyer in the past, but never had cause to have to return any.

tiermat

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:58:57 pm »
The Laptops Direct one comes with sodding Vista...

:(

tiermat

« Reply #46 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:00:54 pm »
Try giving 'em a ring

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:01:22 pm »
Hang about - they do sell an XP one.  £30 more expensive!  WTF?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #48 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »
Hang about - they do sell an XP one.  £30 more expensive!  WTF?

See my post above ;)
Pen Pusher

tiermat

« Reply #49 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:04:42 pm »
The XP one has a better processor, 1.83G as opposed to 1.5

Lenovo 3000 N200 TY2ECUK From Laptops Direct