Author Topic: Bike Stormz  (Read 32084 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bike Stormz
« Reply #50 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
These guys are doing it wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43330195/swerve-the-car-footage-shows-dangers-of-stupid-game
It would be virtually impossible for the car driver to avoid that boy wheelying straight at them. Unless they (the driver) stopped. Sure, the kid is being stupid, he's being (non-violently) aggressive, and he's legally in the wrong; but the driver is clearly applying the concept of legal rights over consideration for others. A kind of "It's my right to knock you off your bike because I'm right and you're wrong," (an attitude by no means exclusive to motorists, of course).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #51 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:33:13 am »
Meanwhile, I was reminded that for some reason I've only ever cycled UP cheddar gorge, and never down.
Some people enjoy riding down it, particularly Feline otp who gets to do so at early o'clock due to her night shift (or used to), but in the daytime I've never found it an enjoyable descent, simply due to the amount of tourist traffic. The Gorge itself is still a pretty impressive sight, of course.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #52 on: 09 March, 2018, 11:00:13 am »
Last weekend City of London Police obtained a Section 35 Dispersal Order to prevent Bikestormz (or similar), particularly in the Blackfriars tunnel on CS3.

We have implemented a Section 35 Dispersal Order across the City to prevent the congregation of groups of youths on bicycles who have been causing considerable anti-social behaviour over the last few weeks.

The Dispersal Order is in place from 7am Saturday 3rd March and will end 7am Monday 5th March.

A Dispersal Order provides the police with powers to dispense individuals in order to remove or reduce the likelihood of members of the public becoming “harassed, alarmed or distressed” or “the occurrence of crime or disorder” in a particular area. Officers can direct people to leave the area and not return for up to 48 hours.

​We'd like to thank the local community for their patience and assistance​.​

https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/antisocial-behaviour/Pages/Section-35-Dispersal-Order-.aspx
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #53 on: 09 March, 2018, 11:51:12 am »
I don't go that way at the weekend, is it a particular problem then?
(Haven't seen them around at all for about 3 weeks, the lads who I had a brief conversation with last time I saw them were exceedingly polite)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ian

« Reply #54 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:09:04 pm »
I'd say yes, it's often a big grouping and they like blocking the road and while not actively aggressive, they do the 'hilarious' getting in the way thing or 'chicken wheelying' right at you, and given you're stuck effectively in a tunnel filled with a couple of dozen surly, adolescent males (I've yet to see a female), it can be intimidating, more so I suspect if you're not a bloke with a skinhead.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #55 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:03:47 pm »
Folk on the Critical Mass London Facebook group have made similar comments to Ian.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #56 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:20:14 pm »
These guys are doing it wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43330195/swerve-the-car-footage-shows-dangers-of-stupid-game
It would be virtually impossible for the car driver to avoid that boy wheelying straight at them. Unless they (the driver) stopped. Sure, the kid is being stupid, he's being (non-violently) aggressive, and he's legally in the wrong; but the driver is clearly applying the concept of legal rights over consideration for others. A kind of "It's my right to knock you off your bike because I'm right and you're wrong," (an attitude by no means exclusive to motorists, of course).

It's a poor video, but the driver does move to his right to try and avoid kid. Kid immediately jinks to his left, collision. I think you're being harsh.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #57 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
Really? If you were driving along the road and coming straight towards you, you saw someone on the wrong side of the road, clearly out of control and equally clearly driving in a very stupid way, so that you're going to have a head-on collision, would you carry on driving as before? A last second swerve is not going to avoid a collision (even if you manage to swerve the right way).

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #58 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »
Yes really. Believe it or not, most car drivers don't want to hit anything.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 10 March, 2018, 12:22:51 pm »
Somewhere or other there's a video of a similar bunch of teenage loons "drift triking" down Cheddar Gorge. All the cars coming up the Gorge stop and no one hits anything (IIRC a couple of the drift trikers capsize and hit each other, but no collisions with cars). If the drivers had carried on driving their cars up the Gorge, I expect that wouldn't have been the case.

As it is, in the wheelying case, I'd say most of the fault lies with the kid on the bike but most of the responsibility lies with the adult driving the car.

spindrift

« Reply #60 on: 07 April, 2018, 11:41:52 am »
Big gathering on Tower Bridge today, maybe 2000 riders: "Bikes Not Knives"

spindrift

« Reply #61 on: 07 April, 2018, 11:43:51 am »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 07 April, 2018, 01:33:00 pm »
Good article about that here:  http://www.huckmagazine.com/ride/bikes/bikestormz-movement-cycling-bikelife-survival-london/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHBm9Qknn_A&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHBm9Qknn_A&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/ZHBm9Qknn_A

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #63 on: 07 April, 2018, 09:44:46 pm »
Somewhere or other there's a video of a similar bunch of teenage loons "drift triking" down Cheddar Gorge......etc

I've seen it. In terms of time to react/reading of the situation I don't think the two compare - who knows what the driver of the car in the wheelie case thought about this large gang of kids approaching - but I don't think we'll gain anything by arguing further. Agree to differ on this one.

spindrift

« Reply #64 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:55:54 pm »
Maybe the largest youth protest in London for years, BBC reported the ride briefly then interviewed prime gammon who shrieked "They did wheelies and the police did nothing!"

spindrift

« Reply #65 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:46:05 am »

I WISH I could do wheelies. Sigh.

« Reply #66 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:52:28 pm »
Good article about that here:  http://www.huckmagazine.com/ride/bikes/bikestormz-movement-cycling-bikelife-survival-london/
That's awesome. Reading that has altered my attitude towards them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:54:33 pm »
That's awesome. Reading that has altered my attitude towards them.

Absolutely.

And it seems to me that if motorists are being slowed down by kids mucking about on bikes, that seems infinitely preferable to either  a) knife crime  or  b) motorists crashing into people at speed.

spindrift

« Reply #68 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »
Anyone know what make the copper's bike is?

Martin

« Reply #69 on: 09 April, 2018, 10:35:13 pm »

I WISH I could do wheelies. Sigh.

I've ridden up Sa Calobra in Mallorca behind a young rider doing that a lot;

makes you feel old; when I was that age riding 7 miles uphill back from a friends on a 5 speed racer was a challenge.

I'm in the "let them have their fun" camp

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #70 on: 10 April, 2018, 09:44:46 pm »
Good article,thanks  :thumbsup:
Every generation finds their danger / belonging thrill.  Some are offensive, mods vs skinheads, gang culture, out nicking cars every Saturday night etc. This one is not unique in that the participant is the one most likely injured, for mine it was BMX.  In my generation any attempt to harness that energy to make a positive point would have been laughed out of town both by my peers and the greater community.
Funny thing is from the look of it I'd be less scared out with them trying to wheelie (falling on my arse every time) and weaving through cars than I would driving a car the other way.  The mental knee jerk is to criticise because I can see the intimidation from the drivers POV, most of them cannot.  Yet they are trying to do good. People were intimidated by our antics on bikes when we were kids. People are intimidated by knock down ginger. So long as an individual isn't targetted and harassed or intimidated so often by unconnected individuals it becomes harassment I think I'm with the young 'uns on this.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #71 on: 13 April, 2018, 11:37:41 am »
Bike Stormz, knife crime and political disengagement:
Given the propensity of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to disengage, the #Bikestormz protests are surprising. They illustrate the desperation that many such young people must be feeling about the crime scarring their neighbourhoods – and their determination to change things.
https://theconversation.com/bikestormz-politicians-take-note-young-people-will-stand-against-unfairness-94697

spindrift

« Reply #72 on: 11 August, 2018, 03:07:48 pm »

spindrift

« Reply #73 on: 11 August, 2018, 03:09:48 pm »
Nice to see black cabbies entering into the spirit:

Cab

@JohnCab17
 19m19 minutes ago
More
Replying to @TfLTrafficNews
Thanks. But any chance u getting police to do something bout these feral pricks so hard working law abiding people can get on with there day #bikestormz

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 11 August, 2018, 08:32:10 pm »
Made the Beeb front page, with the dubious headline: 'Hundreds' of young cyclists in traffic jam