Author Topic: Forgive me father for I have sinned.  (Read 2472 times)

Forgive me father for I have sinned.
« on: 18 October, 2008, 09:41:35 pm »
Last night I got a bike out of the depths of the garage.  I rode to the end of the road and back and was in agony.  I didn't realise I owned a bike with a Brooks saddle.

I adjusted it as best as I could (nose down sharply so I could perch on the back and not have my bits go numb as happened on the way to the end of the road) and today went out for a ride with a wonderfully eccentric mob.

We strayed onto a road that had NCN signage.  Sorry.   

Please can I be forgiven for these two sins.  Riding Brooks and riding the NCN. :-[

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Forgive me father for I have sinned.
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2008, 09:49:38 pm »
I, too, own a bike with a Brooks. :-[

In my defence, it is in a bike bag in store in Yorkshire, and I don't have any wheels that I can use with it. ;D
Getting there...

LE

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2008, 07:38:25 am »
Forgive me father for I have sinned. I am currently watching Cagney and Lacey. But more....I enjoy watching Cagney and Lacey.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2008, 08:06:56 am »
I think C&L has gone through its uncool phase and into a kind of retro-kitsch.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2008, 05:16:37 pm »
At least it wasn't riding with a single pannier!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
Last night I got a bike out of the depths of the garage.  I rode to the end of the road and back and was in agony.  I didn't realise I owned a bike with a Brooks saddle.

I adjusted it as best as I could (nose down sharply so I could perch on the back and not have my bits go numb as happened on the way to the end of the road) and today went out for a ride with a wonderfully eccentric mob.

You want to get rid of that saddle.  How about selling it to me?  O:-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »
I wouldn't inflict that torture on anybody.  I'll either be binning the saddle, or just having it for display purposes only.

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »

But a single pannier is more aerodynamic....   ;D

« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:43:06 am »
Forgive me father for I have sinned, I read The Sun and cant seem to get past page 3

« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2008, 11:58:28 am »

Is that so very wrong? I only have one pannier!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »
I wouldn't inflict that torture on anybody.  I'll either be binning the saddle, or just having it for display purposes only.
NO!  I love Brooks's's's'!!!!!!!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2008, 04:17:05 pm »
NO!  I love Brooks's's's'!!!!!!!

You are Gollum* AICMFP!

*Albeit a well fed Gollum...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »

Single panniers are simply wrong!

The balance of the machine both mechanically and aesthetically is not right!

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2008, 08:55:29 pm »

Single panniers are simply wrong!

The balance of the machine both mechanically and aesthetically is not right!

Not if you put them on the left hand side.  It balances the weight of the sprockets, chain, and chainset, to mention all the shifter bits.

Of course the ideally balanced bike is a fixed gear bike with a front tandem chainset on the front and a sprocket on the left and a chain connecting them, in addition to the usual stuff on the right.

;D

(I'm sure someone will have done it)

Craig

« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:13:17 pm »
Of course the ideally balanced bike is a fixed gear bike with a front tandem chainset on the front and a sprocket on the left and a chain connecting them, in addition to the usual stuff on the right.

;D

(I'm sure someone will have done it)
Yes, that has been done. The first example I can find: Fixed Gear Gallery :: Track for the Streets (I'm sure there are others on FGG).
It doesn't have to a tandem chainset does it, just two normal right hand ones? Or would things unscrew if they are on the wrong side?
Though that one has only got one brake lever so its not perfectly balanced...

« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:21:14 pm »
Not if you put them on the left hand side.  It balances the weight of the sprockets, chain, and chainset, to mention all the shifter bits.

Ah, but the lone pannier on the right gets you (possibly) that little bit more space from passing cars. My lock lives on the left, if I'm going anywhere that my bike will need tying up. That is quite often heavier than the pannier!

Also, two panniers - I can see the appeal in the symmetry and so on, but two panniers are heavier than one, and far more awkward to heft about off the bike. Or do all you two-pannier people never remove them? My pannier spends as much time off the bike as on it.

Chris N

« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2008, 11:22:10 pm »
It doesn't have to a tandem chainset does it, just two normal right hand ones? Or would things unscrew if they are on the wrong side?

Left pedals are left hand threaded, so won't fit in a right hand crank.  You need to use a tandem crank, replace the LH axle in the pedal with a RH axle, or use symmetrical pedals (like flats or eggbeaters).  And use a lockring on the LH side of the hub.

Actually, I don't think you would need to use a lockring.  If the cog did start to come loose, you'd just transfer all the torque into the right hand chain.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:23:24 am »
Please can I be forgiven for these two sins.  Riding Brooks and riding the NCN. :-[

Sins?  You haven't sinned, you have just assured yourself a place in Heaven.  And I have incontrovertible proof.  Read on dear Nutty ...

Last Sunday I was riding Claud complete with his honey Brooks B17 Special around Braintree sticking up National Cycle Network signs.  With me was my new mate Dave who is the Braintree Ranger.  There we were in our Hi-Vis jackets having a ball.  By this point a number of people had stopped for a chat wondering what we were up to. 

Guess what happened next?  Down the route we had just signed cycled a vicar, complete with dog collar on a rather nice Raleigh tourer which was resplendent with a black Brooks saddle!!!   ;D

So Nutty dear chap, you aren't a sinner!  Vicars with Brooks saddles cycle on the NCN.

Go in peace my friend  ;D

PS - funnily enough, just after the vicar had cycled off his grave digger turned up and stopped for a chat.

« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:34:39 am »
So Nutty dear chap, you aren't a sinner!  Vicars with Brooks saddles cycle on the NCN.

Go in peace my friend  ;D
<nutty>I suspect it was punishment for some sexual indiscretion and he was probably wearing a hair shirt too!</nutty>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:47:47 am »
What nonsense Del, what nonsense. Ignore him Nutty, Del's just trying to divert you from the path of righteousness!

The vicar seemed a thoroughly nice chap and didn't carry the look of a man that had just buggered a choir boy.