Author Topic: Team Sky Announcement  (Read 17192 times)

Sky Sports Team

Team Sky Announcement
« on: 26 February, 2009, 08:52:39 am »

We know you’re passionate about cycling and we wanted you to be amongst the first to know about the creation of a professional British road cycling team - Team Sky.

Team Sky hopes to create the first British winner of the Tour De France within the next five years and inspire more people, to get on their bikes and enjoy the positive benefits of cycling.

Competing from the start of 2010, Team Sky will have a core of British riders, coaches and support staff and will be managed by David Brailsford who, as you know, led Britain’s Olympic team to its inspiring 14 medal haul. 

Team Sky is just part of Sky’s commitment to cycling, as a Principal Partner of British Cycling we’re looking to fuel the sport from grass roots to professional level. We are also developing more inspiring events, like last year’s Sky Sports London Freewheel, to make cycling fun, easy and accessible to all.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say and if you want us to, we’ll be happy to come back and update you on any new developments.

Thanks
Sky Sports Team

Re: Team Sky Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2009, 08:56:18 am »
Can I ask that you insist the team wear beards please.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:00:13 am »
And sandals!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:08:35 am »
Is this bloke the team mechanic?

It is simpler than it looks.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:21:22 am »
Can I suggest pickled eggs form part of your rider's nutritional plan?  As far as I am aware pickled eggs contain no banned substances but you had better check that fart power is legal.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:48:06 am »
Will you be insisting that the cycling takes the form of two opposing teams of 11 cyclists, each attempting to cycle a ball into the a goal defended by the other team?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:21:31 am »
Oh very good news, but we must insist that the team attire should be in sober colours, made of alpaca wool, tweed and linen; that lady riders be modestly, although rationally, attired.  We would consider merino wool a suitable alternative to alpaca wool and it would be jolly nice if the team members wore a Union Flag in the lapels of their Norfolk jackets when competing.

Can't be doing with this modern stretchy stuff, it's got no moral fibre.

That's the way to show Johnny Foreigner how to bicycle properly.

*cough*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:26:37 am »
Come on! This is unfair, you lot. You know roadies don't have a sense of humour.

m100

« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:49:24 am »
Will there be any coverage on free to air tv?

« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:55:03 am »
I think the YACF audax club have nothing to fear from Team Sky, they won't be challenging us with regards to audax points  ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:30:44 am »
I think you're all being very unfair on Sky Sports Team.

She's come on here, full of enthusiasm and commitment to our sport and what do you lot do?  Mock her with questions about beards, tweed and picked eggs.  As if she'd understand the subtleties of all our in-jokes. 

Don't we have a culture of being welcoming and inclusive for new members?

I'm shocked and appalled at your behaviour, boys and girls.  See me afterwards.

[/tonguecheek]
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:33:14 am »

We know you’re passionate about cycling and we wanted you to be amongst the first to know about the creation of a professional British road cycling team - Team Sky.

Up yer arse!

« Reply #12 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:50:53 am »
I'm all for extra money being pumped into Cycling, wherever it comes from (within limits, I don't think I'd want to support Team British National Front :-\).  Anything which increases the public's enthusiasm for cycling has to be a good thing.

On the other hand, quoting the London Freewheel last year as being an indicator of Sky's commitment is pushing things, when it wasn't half as good as the previous year. :-\

Sorry about actually replying sensibly, I'll let normality and chaos reign again. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:53:12 am »
to make cycling fun, easy and accessible to all

Ah good.

I've been hating it up to now.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:00:10 pm »
Glad to see Sky Sports Team has taken the time to become acquainted with this forum and engage with others.

Of course, if they hadn't done that, and just posted a press release & dashed off to another forum who they 'wanted to be amongst the first to know', then they might be regarded as a Spammer, and be fair game.

And we don't want anyone making that mistake, do we?
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:05:18 pm »
This reminds me so much of my school days:

Now children, today this nice gentleman/lady has come to talk to us about cycling safety/drugs/world poverty etc. and I want you all to be on your best behaviour and listen carefully. At the end you will be able to ask questions and we will have a discussion.

Cue outrageously bad behaviour and a stream of very silly questions full of smut and innuendo. Much giggling and throwing of paper air planes and one very embarrassed teacher.

Carry on.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:11:23 pm »
Now now, if this kind of irreverence carries on, then Sky Sports Team might get huffy and decide not to let us know about any future developments with their team.

That would make us all sad, wouldn't it?

Well?

Wouldn't it?
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #17 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:16:43 pm »
Well yes. I suppose we would be upset. After all it's not as if the BBC or the Guardian would be able to inform us of these developments is it?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #18 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:19:01 pm »
.... or indeed any of the cycling news websites or mags that have been reporting this story for months.

« Reply #19 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »
If the TdF goes to Sky, and I miss out on my yearly dose of Phil Liggett there's going to be hell to pay!*

*Just remembers that I have Sky Sports, the rest of you paupers can get bent  ;D

gonzo

« Reply #20 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:22:23 pm »
Wow, I'm impressed that they consider this forum worthy of their attentions*.

You may have noticed, but this forum isn't really the racing orientated type that you may expect it to be. TBH, it's barely even a cycling forum! ;)

*Although a small part of me suspects that the person posting was already a member here and wanted a reason to post from work!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #21 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:25:57 pm »

Team Sky hopes to create the first British winner of the Tour De France within the next five years and inspire more people, to get on their bikes and enjoy the positive benefits of cycling.

Competing from the start of 2010, Team Sky will have a core of British riders, coaches and support staff and will be managed by David Brailsford who, as you know, led Britain’s Olympic team to its inspiring 14 medal haul. 

Can I be the first to give you a proper reply? Yes? Excellent!

There have been persistent reports of people associated with "British Cycling" wanting to make a team that is in a sense "team GB on the road"
If this is that idea made concrete then good for you!

I must admit though when I first heard the idea ( a british winner of the TdF in a few years ) my first reaction of one of skeptism.  Despite Dave Brailsfords epic achievements on the track one wonders where the world class road riders are going to come from.   In particular, who would be the GC hope?  Athletes of that sort are even rarer than Sir Chris or Mr Wiggins.  And Nicol Cooke isn't going to have an op to get her on the mens team :)

Another point is that you can have the best team in the world but victory at the TdF can ellude you.  Arguablely CSC were this over the past few years but it took until last year for them to finally win

linky
Tour de France - New team sets Tour victory target - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

« Reply #22 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:43:02 pm »
Team Sky

Cycling is a very broad church.  To some it is a means of commuting or going to the shops, to others a chance to get some quality time with the family in the park. Some use it as an adventure - a ride accross Iran or around the World, while others do it to get/stay fit instead of going to the gym, and of course there are many armchair cyclists.
I'm sure most club cyclists will welcome Sky's involvement in the sport.  There can be little doubt - after our Olympic success - that cash brings about success.  With that success comes more interest in and better acceptance of cycling (many of us noticed the (short lived) improvement in driver behaviour towards us, following Team GBs success).  I hope Sky's involvement will bring benefits to cycling as a whole.

« Reply #23 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:46:51 pm »
And sandals!  :thumbsup:

Oh, please no! What next, a beard?!

Ignore them Mr or Ms. Sky Team. Well done indeed and welcome.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 26 February, 2009, 12:52:39 pm »
If Rupert Murdoch thinks cycling is a good thing, I might have to sell my bike.  :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.