Author Topic: brake levers for fixed please  (Read 1258 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
brake levers for fixed please
« on: 03 January, 2019, 10:28:43 pm »
I'm asking what brake levers fixed audax riders use. Might be another board that's more tech, but posting here as an audaxer and I know long distance fixed riders will "get" this one.
Background:
I've just restored my 1970s peugeot PX10 as a fixed conversion. I've fitted some period brake calipers - Shimano 600 (pre-ultegra equivalent} but single pivot and a lot less power but adequate when used with modern STI levers. The best looking period levers I have are some of the earliest concealed cable dia compe and these have been fitted. The cable exit is quite a tight turn in the cable and is probably increasing friction.

Having done a few hundred km on it the bike is a really enjoyable ride but the brakes aren't up to it, predominantly the levers. I'm a senior vet and want two adequate brakes and the ability to trail brake on descents and with either hand when signalling on descents. The levers were originally fitted with mafac centre pull calipers and I guess the mechanical advantage/ pull may be different. Also as race levers they are made to be mounted low on the drop of the bars and this offers poor leverage when mounted higher riding mostly on the hoods. They are angled too far out from the bars. Also having got used to chunky STI?Ergos the hoods seem uncomfortably small both as handrests and honking levers although I expect to get used to that. 

In a perfect world I'd find a lever with more of a cant back towards the bars for better leverage from the hoods, smooth cable exit and chunkier hoods. Oh yeah. just need them in silver! Simples. :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: brake levers for fixed please
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:36:46 pm »
https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/cane-creek-scr-5-brake-levers or the Tektro-labelled alternatives might suit you
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:24:56 pm »
Shimano BL-R400 also work fine. Maybe fairly slim hoods, I found they are comfortable enough.

Or TRP have some in a retro drilled style. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTRPRRLSR/trp-rrl-sr-vintage-style-road-brake-levers

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:31:59 pm »
I have Dia Compe drop bar levers but even though both are connected I don't use them, mostly because the leverage is so poor. They're mostly fitted for aesthetics and to act as climbing bullhorns.

Instead I have a cross-top lever for the front brake which covers everything and has much more power. I leg brake quite a lot too.

rob

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:22:53 am »
My Dolan came with some SRAM rival levers.

I ride on the hoods quite a lot and they are comfortable on the longer ones.   Braking is pretty solid and they are linked to some SRAM dual pivot calipers.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:45:21 am »
Tektro/TRP levers work fine for me on various bikes and seem well made. The hoods are a fairly loose fit which means that for a bit of extra comfort you can insert a bit of thin 'grab-on' type foam rubber under them and easily roll the cover back over. [The ancient Mafacs and Weinmans on my older machines have rock hard rubber, but I've glued some foam rubber on the top.]

dat

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:55:44 am »
I'm running DA-7402 levers, apart from aesthetics the Shimano r400 are the same. I'm going to purchase a Genesis day one for commuting in the coming months, I think I'm going to give bull horns a go with TT brakes as I rarely use my drops.