Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576120 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17300 on: 24 March, 2024, 11:08:59 am »
Spread soil out on groundsheet to dry so can use riddle. And then it rains.......again and again and ag....

Meteo Blue gives you handy animated rain maps and also works in Englandshire.

https://www.meteoblue.com

So does Home and Dry. Still not convinced, especially when the country is freckled with hail squalls.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17301 on: 24 March, 2024, 07:08:10 pm »
I wasted a day of our holiday today in bed with digestive distress. Just about managed to drag myself up for a shower to go for dinner, more for Pingu's benefit than mine. Managed a whole 1/4 of a pizza and took the rest back to the hotel in a box. Hopefully normal service will be resumed tomorrow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17302 on: 24 March, 2024, 08:24:33 pm »
That's just unfair. Hope your guts are better behaved tomorrow!

« Reply #17303 on: 24 March, 2024, 08:27:41 pm »
I had that too. A day of feeling rough, a day of not too bad, then a night of liquid guts and a day of not too bad. All sorted now though.

Ages since I've had that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17304 on: 24 March, 2024, 09:32:03 pm »
I just can't keep awake and am too lethargic to get out on a bike - the last 3 days I've slept for about 3 hours each afternoon (as well as overnight) - must still be jet-lag?

I'm usually OK with it after a couple of days but it's been a week since we got back - 25.5 hours in the air with 2.5 on the ground between flights, 13 hour time difference (flying east to west).

Fed up with it!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17305 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:21:09 am »
Bah, another day off.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17306 on: 25 March, 2024, 08:36:43 am »
I just can't keep awake and am too lethargic to get out on a bike - the last 3 days I've slept for about 3 hours each afternoon (as well as overnight) - must still be jet-lag?

I'm usually OK with it after a couple of days but it's been a week since we got back - 25.5 hours in the air with 2.5 on the ground between flights, 13 hour time difference (flying east to west).

Fed up with it!

I read years ago that you recovered at roughly one hour of jet-lag per day, but IME this wasn't linear; instead you'd feel equally lousy for a couple of days in a row then get back about two hours of lag at one go, & so forth.  The overall recovery time was the same. Going W to E was much worse: I decided that the lag in that case was 24 - lag-hours, which fitted my experience pretty well.

I once touched down in Frankfurt at 7am after a flight from San Francisco to find a most generous message from my boss: you'll be jet-lagged so you don't need to come in until after lunch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17307 on: 25 March, 2024, 09:35:06 am »
I never managed to get my company to send me to Indonesia for a week before the job started.  Jet lag recovery in Bali would have worked very well I'm sure.

As to being ill on holiday, that's just generally crap (pun intended  ;D )
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17308 on: 25 March, 2024, 11:46:08 am »

Fed up with it!

I read years ago that you recovered at roughly one hour of jet-lag per day, but IME this wasn't linear; instead you'd feel equally lousy for a couple of days in a row then get back about two hours of lag at one go, & so forth.  The overall recovery time was the same. Going W to E was much worse: I decided that the lag in that case was 24 - lag-hours, which fitted my experience pretty well.

I once touched down in Frankfurt at 7am after a flight from San Francisco to find a most generous message from my boss: you'll be jet-lagged so you don't need to come in until after lunch.

Yep - my wife* saw the "one day per hour" thing so perhaps another 3 or 4 days and all will be fine.    Have to say I used to fly from the UK to the US west coast for work quite often and never had an issue - just stay up until normal time for bed.

She also thought that as we were Business Class jet-lag wouldn't be a problem  ;D ;D

. . . and while I'm grumbling about flying . . .  it seems that if you fly from/to London Heathrow on an Airbus 380 you have a massively long walk to the gate - one of the staff said it's because they only have the double-deck air bridges for 380s out there. My wife timed the walk at a fairly brisk pace at 14 minutes from aircraft door to border control.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17309 on: 25 March, 2024, 04:20:28 pm »
Tell her to try flying from Stansted.  You can find Strava segments running from the arrivals gate to immigration...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17310 on: 25 March, 2024, 06:38:18 pm »
Tell her to try flying from Stansted.  You can find Strava segments running from the arrivals gate to immigration...

TBH, I find (or pre-COVID found) Emirates from STN to be a great way to do it for anything heading eastwards, flying business class they alway sent a car to pick me up as I'm just inside their 50 mile radius.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #17311 on: 25 March, 2024, 10:44:56 pm »
We had the same from emirates from Birmingham, and hen in Dubai, Mali and on the way back. The a380 lounge in Dubai is brilliant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17312 on: 26 March, 2024, 08:47:46 am »
Sheer fucking genius:

Council-imposed paper bags for food waste are truly worthy of a Nobel. Or a straitjacket.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17313 on: 26 March, 2024, 09:29:02 am »
Yeah, I bought paper ones to try a few years ago (cos here in the land of economic liberty, you have to buy your own, of course) and they also didn't really work. Though TBF even the compostable plastic ones need changing every two days or so regardless of fullness.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17314 on: 26 March, 2024, 12:39:49 pm »
Why do the people sending out emails at work need to put "gentle reminder". It's a reminder. Doesn't need to be gentle.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17315 on: 26 March, 2024, 04:59:35 pm »
Agreed, I guess they're trying not to seem too naggy while being helpful with reminder and links/etc.

« Reply #17316 on: Yesterday at 12:15:10 am »
Always comes across a bit passive-aggressive IMO, no matter what they may have intended

« Reply #17317 on: Yesterday at 12:22:43 am »
Sheer fucking genius:

Council-imposed paper bags for food waste are truly worthy of a Nobel. Or a straitjacket.

I fear this may be down to the quality rather than the material - we've been using paper bags for food waste (and in fact choosing them rather than the cornstarch ones also offered by the council) for several years.

We only use them for the stuff that's going off for high-temperature composting in the council collections (peelings etc go in our own compost bin), but they generally last fine for the week between collections.

This post has been a useful reminder - we need to order some more ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17318 on: Yesterday at 08:08:33 am »
Sheer fucking genius:

I fear this may be down to the quality rather than the material - we've been using paper bags for food waste (and in fact choosing them rather than the cornstarch ones also offered by the council) for several years.

We only use them for the stuff that's going off for high-temperature composting in the council collections (peelings etc go in our own compost bin), but they generally last fine for the week between collections.

This post has been a useful reminder - we need to order some more ...

Ours are supplied free of charge but they aren't collected. We have to trog round to a communal bin in front of the sale défaite salle des fêtes.  Chum saw a bloke emptying his chip pan into one such.  When it's pissing down for days we tend to have a couple of full ones kicking about the floor, which is less than agreeable. Leave them outside and the local cats & rats get them. The whole scheme is about as well-planned as the barriers on the cycle paths.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17319 on: Yesterday at 08:40:03 am »
You can only comment on the planning if you know what outcome is intended. If the goal is to stop people separating their green waste or to compost at home, then crappy bags and a communal collection points would be the way I’d go.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17320 on: Yesterday at 09:43:28 am »
I've seen what they told us and I've seen the results. :sick: