Author Topic: Runny nose  (Read 3054 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Runny nose
« on: 12 April, 2021, 10:38:57 pm »

When cycling I tend to get a runny nose. In winter with a strong cross wind it's kinda expected, but I get it year round. It's causing two problems. Wiping my nose on my glove every few minutes results in irritation to the skin around my nose, which is annoying but not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that I can't easily breathe through my nose while riding along, which means I can't eat while I am riding, can't chew and breathe at the same time. I'm taking an inhaler, which does make breathing easier, but does not stop the nose streaming. I am not aware of having hayfever.

Any ideas what is causing this, and more importantly. How the hell I can stop it? I'd like to be able to eat a mars bar without having to stop...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Runny nose
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:45:41 pm »
My brains try to leak out my nose when I start riding, more so in the cold and when I haven't ridden for a few days. I find snot rockets in the first half hour pretty much keep my airways clear for the majority of the ride. Nose wipes do enough after that. Trying just to wipe without snot rockets doesn’t remove enough volume and just keeps the leakage going. Handkerchiefs get overwhelmed anyway.

Be even more careful than usual nowadays, of course.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:50:08 pm »
I think that this has come up as a topic before now and is fairly common amongst a large minority of cyclists. In the US you can buy an over the counter nasal spray to deal with this but not in the UK and presumably the EU. Hence plenty of tissues.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2021, 11:15:52 pm »
Noses run from condensation, allergy, irritation and infection.

I could not breathe through my nose when cycling anyway.

Clothing will help with condensation and might reduce irritation.

Steroid sprays would help for allergy but must be prescribed by a doctor.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:09:20 am »
Sudafed will help dry up runny noses.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:10:39 pm »
Sudafed will help dry up runny noses.

Unfortunately not legal in this country. Also a controlled substance when it comes to sports.

J
--

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:27:38 pm »
i've noticed almost everyone has runny nose when exercising in cool/cold weather, for me around 12'c and below. snot rockets every few km sort out the surplus fluid. this might be less "socially acceptable" for women, but does it matter? i've got a "eeeew!" from a woman about 50m behind, after clearing my nose on the recent run. raised my hand to apologise, no big deal. i always aim where it wouldn't be seen. sorry if that's tmi. :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:36:13 pm »
In terms of weather, it's not just temperature, humidity is a factor too. Dry weather is a lot less dripogenic and when it's cold enough, it freezes in your nose anyway.

As for snot rockets, I think it's not just the snot that people object to, it's the droplets, especially for the people behind you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:51:50 pm »
Occupational hazard of cycling IME.  If it's not the cold it's the hayfever, except for the glorious period between mid-August and the October lurgy season when both weather and lungs are fully cooperating.

A recumbent riding position helps somewhat, in that the snot drains down the back of your throat the way it's designed to, rather than dribbling out of your nostrils and requiring management.  Doesn't do anything for the congestion, thobut.

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:34:18 pm »
I think that this has come up as a topic before now and is fairly common amongst a large minority of cyclists. In the US you can buy an over the counter nasal spray to deal with this but not in the UK and presumably the EU. Hence plenty of tissues.

Ephedrine containing Vicks Sinex was good for stopping runny noses. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:43:50 pm »
Rebound cogestion after stopping ephedrine is well-known...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2021, 04:23:53 pm »

Ephedrine containing Vicks Sinex was good for stopping runny noses. 
What about alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and orange juice?  ;)

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2021, 04:28:30 pm »
I use an actual hanky, for non - disintegration reasons. I think it's worse if I'm not wearing glasses, implying air in eyes causes watering runs into sinus. But that could just be cold weather no sunnies.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:06:39 pm »
I think excess tear formation from wind on the eyes IS a thing.
Tears then go down the nasolacrimal duct...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:22:56 pm »
That is my nose pretty much all the time, on or off bike. I have a little pot of some sort of Lush (yes, evil I know) honey & lemon lip balm which I put round the edges of my nostrils or they get really raw on wintery bike rides (Vaseline is a waste of time).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:46:26 pm »
Lush (yes, evil I know)
OT but why is Lush evil? Is it a Scottish thing (cos I think I've heard this attitude before from a former YACFER resident in Edinburgh)? I've also heard other people say they're somewhere on the planet-saving, dolphin-kissing, etc spectrum. Confused. (Never used any in any case)

« Reply #16 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:24:30 pm »
Lush: good for planet (ish), bad for employees.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/21/ethical-cosmetics-company-lush-accused-of-poor-working-conditions-for-australian-staff

They're cruelty free, but they use some artificial preservatives & synthetic fragrances which are not environmentally neutral. Their packaging is a bit greenwashed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:26:11 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/21/ethical-cosmetics-company-lush-accused-of-poor-working-conditions-for-australian-staff

They're cruelty free, but they use some artificial preservatives & synthetic fragrances which are not environmentally neutral. Their packaging is a bit greenwashed.

And you can smell them from 200m on the highstreet...

J
--

« Reply #18 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:39:23 pm »
600m if you haven't got a runny nose... And we're back on topic

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:23:02 am »

"This article is more than 7 months old"
The first mention I'm remembering was at least three years ago. So maybe they've been at it for a while!

And (back on topic, maybe) I'm sure some of these things can give you a runny nose.

« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:25:17 am »

Some of that sounds bad, but

Individually we lift buckets of up to 15kg of powder with no assistance

Erm, what? Since when was 15kg a weight that needed two people. That's a standard bucket of water.

Sounds like the staff need training in how to lift and move without injury.

Anyway, back on topic - I have never been able to shoot snot rockets. I pick my winter gloves partly based on their softness and absorbency . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #21 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:37:10 am »
Once upon a time, as a lowly student, I had a job that solely consisted of lifting 25kg sheep food blocks off a conveyor belt and onto a nearby pallet until there was 1000 kg, then a fork-lift would come to take it away for wrapping (a far better job), and repeat. I think I topped out at 60-70 pallets in a twelve-hour shift. Australians, of course, are not as strong as Brits.

Who knew that fancy unnecessary boutique soaps were maybe not the environmental panacea. I boycotted the Body Shop ages ago, mostly because they stopped doing tomato shower gel. You heard that right. It was awesome. I want to start every day smelling like a fresh tomato.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:26:04 am »
Once upon a time, as a lowly student, I had a job that solely consisted of lifting 25kg sheep food blocks off a conveyor belt and onto a nearby pallet until there was 1000 kg, then a fork-lift would come to take it away for wrapping (a far better job), and repeat. I think I topped out at 60-70 pallets in a twelve-hour shift. Australians, of course, are not as strong as Brits.

When I worked in the brewing industry, I regularly measured my days in tons. My record was shifting 11 tons of beer across two 8 hour shifts. I was really starting to go crazy by the end of that one. Lifting 300kg of grain into the hopper, then an hour or so later, digging it all out when it was at about 65°C. Was a great work out.

I was getting quite fit by the end of it, and could easily carry a 30l keg one in each hand (It was better balanced than carrying just one).

But it's bloody stupid. Sure we can lift 25kg blocks of sheep food, or toss around 50kg casks of beer. But we really really shouldn't. The amount of people who injure their backs due to manual handling accidents every year is costing the economy way too much.

It's also worth noting that picking up a 15kg bucket from the floor to the table, is very different, than say picking it up from the table and holding it up at head level to pour into some mixing machinery.

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:32:42 am »

This. Best protection I have found is a helmet with a visor.  Not bad against bugs in summer too.  The only problem I have with mine is that when I have it tight enough to stop the edge of the visor cutting into my nose it hurts my forehead. Needs Sugru.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:39:59 am »

This. Best protection I have found is a helmet with a visor.  Not bad against bugs in summer too.  The only problem I have with mine is that when I have it tight enough to stop the edge of the visor cutting into my nose it hurts my forehead. Needs Sugru.

I always wear my glasses when cycling, they are not perhaps as fully encompassing as a visor, but they do fit pretty damn snuggly.

J
--