Author Topic: Giro d’Italia 2020  (Read 19782 times)

Re: Giro d’Italia 2020
« Reply #75 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:33:38 pm »
Maybe Ineos will get their grand tour win after all.

« Reply #76 on: 17 October, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »
Not even in GC.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #77 on: 17 October, 2020, 05:24:59 pm »
FFS the highlights prog on Quest isn't on until 2300H tonight and 2200H tomorrow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #78 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:09:13 pm »
Luckily I just worked out what  'yn erbyn y cloc' meant in time for today's stage.
For the first week and a half I thought they kept on saying eleven o'clock for some reason.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #79 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:45:09 pm »
A digression. When S4C's Sgorio started covering European - primary Italian - football from the mid 80s it garnered a sizeable (by S4C standards) non-Welsh-speaking audience.

On the following Monday morning at work we would repeat with glee our new-found lexicon of footy terms, such as
- Cic Smotyn (Penalty)
- Dros y drawst (over the bar)
- Camsefyll (offside)
- Mae'r card Equity un y post

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #80 on: 17 October, 2020, 07:13:44 pm »
A digression. When S4C's Sgorio started covering European - primary Italian - football from the mid 80s it garnered a sizeable (by S4C standards) non-Welsh-speaking audience.

On the following Monday morning at work we would repeat with glee our new-found lexicon of footy terms, such as
- Cic Smotyn (Penalty)
- Camsefyll (offside)

It was Tuesday morning - Sgorio was broadcast on Monday evening. Also:
- Cic cornel (corner)
- Taro y postin (?sp)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #81 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:07:07 pm »
FFS the highlights prog on Quest isn't on until 2300H tonight and 2200H tomorrow.

A pox on snooker, say I!

(Does the Len Ganley Stance)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #82 on: 18 October, 2020, 02:55:26 pm »
When Brian Smith says Possovivvo it sounds like "force of evil".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #83 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »

:o

« Reply #84 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:16:19 pm »

Press the 'get real' button first. He gained 47s (impressive) to still be 2 mins 57 behind (ahh). So yes, if he can win 4 more stages by the same margin. And if you pretend not to notice the other rider who gained 41 seconds on GC today and is now only 15 seconds off the lead.

Podium contender - yes. Top step contender - Need the GC 1 and 2 to have really bad days whilst he repeats todays.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #85 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:36:06 pm »

- Cic Smotyn (Penalty)
- Camsefyll (offside)

It was Tuesday morning - Sgorio was broadcast on Monday evening. Also:
- Cic cornel (corner)
- Taro y postin (?sp)

BBC Alba followed the same path; unfortunately all I picked up from the commentary was that Penalty is Penis (The e is pronounced like in Dundee Oary...) and "agus"
I learnt slightly more from Duolingo though.

Tìoraidh

rogerzilla

« Reply #86 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:43:12 am »
Rest day is test day again, so there might be fewer teams tomorrow.  This year's race must be a nightmare for the bookies.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #87 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:58:25 pm »

Press the 'get real' button first. He gained 47s (impressive) to still be 2 mins 57 behind (ahh). So yes, if he can win 4 more stages by the same margin. And if you pretend not to notice the other rider who gained 41 seconds on GC today and is now only 15 seconds off the lead.

Podium contender - yes. Top step contender - Need the GC 1 and 2 to have really bad days whilst he repeats todays.

Anyone else notice that if Tao hadn't showboated the last 50m celebrating his upcoming victory, he might have gained the 2 seconds he needed to be in a podium place in GC? It may seem a bit curmudgeonly, but I was shouting at the screen telling him to keep racing! As Alaphilippe learned very recently, celebrating before the line isn't a clever thing to do.

« Reply #88 on: 19 October, 2020, 06:40:03 pm »

A pox on snooker, say I!

And again, Sunday’s highlights were buggered up by it too  >:( :( >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #89 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »

Anyone else notice that if Tao hadn't showboated the last 50m celebrating his upcoming victory, he might have gained the 2 seconds he needed to be in a podium place in GC? It may seem a bit curmudgeonly, but I was shouting at the screen telling him to keep racing! As Alaphilippe learned very recently, celebrating before the line isn't a clever thing to do.

Except that he couldn't have known he was a second away from being 3rd on GC with a week still to go (not the same as a podium position)

What he did know, on the other hand, was that he was about to  have the biggest win of his career.

« Reply #90 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:45:16 pm »
What he did know, on the other hand, was that he was about to  have the biggest win of his career.
When I was flicking through the channels Rohan Dennis was leading. Did he crash out?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #91 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:49:52 pm »

A pox on snooker, say I!

We've just watched Stage 15 highlights at https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/giro-ditalia-highlights . I could only get it to play on Firefox thobut.

« Reply #92 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:59:00 pm »
When I was flicking through the channels Rohan Dennis was leading. Did he crash out?

Got caught by peloton driven by sun web. TGH attacked on the last ascent and gapped everyone

TimC

« Reply #93 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:56:37 pm »

Except that he couldn't have known he was a second away from being 3rd on GC with a week still to go (not the same as a podium position)

I know - I get it. I may very well have done the same in his position. Doesn't stop me wishing he hadn't done it!

« Reply #94 on: 20 October, 2020, 06:24:46 am »
Have to see what Wednesday,  Thursday and Saturday deliver.

« Reply #95 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:52:14 am »

A pox on snooker, say I!

We've just watched Stage 15 highlights at https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/giro-ditalia-highlights . I could only get it to play on Firefox thobut.

Which, if Airplay was still working on our TV, we would have do too.  I'll probably have to resort to the laptop and an HDMI lead.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #96 on: 20 October, 2020, 11:41:50 am »
I may very well have done the same in his position. Doesn't stop me wishing he hadn't done it!

Agreed!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

rogerzilla

« Reply #97 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:59:37 pm »
Good finish today, although I hate circuits.

Sean Kelly on the sofa...Tim Moore rips the piss out of his legendary (lack of) personality throughout his 1914 Giro recreation "Gironimo!"  "Uh, he was, uh, majorly suffering there".

TimC

« Reply #98 on: 20 October, 2020, 11:43:13 pm »
Good finish today, although I hate circuits.

Sean Kelly on the sofa...Tim Moore rips the piss out of his legendary (lack of) personality throughout his 1914 Giro recreation "Gironimo!"  "Uh, he was, uh, majorly suffering there".

Oohh, missed that. I thought Sean was doing the Vuelta gig today? Anyway, Tim Moore is effectively God when it comes to commenting on Grand Tours from an amateur perspective. And I don't think he's been found taking any drugs but alcohol...

rogerzilla

« Reply #99 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:27:05 pm »
What kind of Hackney hipsters call their son Tao?