Author Topic: 28 hole hubs  (Read 1159 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

28 hole hubs
« on: 31 May, 2010, 09:04:41 pm »
Does anyone know of  a source of medium-quality (ie not too expensive) 28 hole hubs?  So far all that I've been able to find is Ultegra, but that's a little pricey for what I'm looking for - which is a new front wheel for one of my older Moultons.  Standard width is fine.  It has to be 28H, as I have a stack of 28 hole rims!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 28 hole hubs
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2010, 09:49:30 pm »
Brompton front hubs are a little over 80 mm wide, from memory.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:06:31 pm »
76mm F, 112mm R on a Brompton.  Why 112mm (rather than 110mm, which is what short-axle SA hubs are normally set to at the factory) I don't know, but Brompton rear ends are strange.  You space the hub to 112mm and dish the wheel as normal so it's central between the locknuts.  Put it in the frame and it looks wrong, with the tyre a hair's breadth from the driveside chainstay but half an inch from the LH chainstay.  But that's right, because the stays are asymmetric and it will be centred on the main frame, which is what matters.

Back on topic, there's usually old Raleigh Twenty stuff on eBay, but an old 3-piece SA hub isn't great quality and the Ambrosio would be a better bet.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »
That's great - Ambrosio it is.  Pity it's black - would have preferred silver.

The rear will either be a BWR hub + 2 speed derailleur (which I really like on my Brompton) or a Sturmey 8 speed.

For anyone else going down this road but without the rims, I see SJS has Sun CR18 rims in 16" with 32 holes - more sensible than 28 for getting a suitable hub.