Author Topic: 126mm OLN Campag rear hub for 6 speed block = where I find this?  (Read 1720 times)

126mm OLN Campag rear hub for 6 speed block = where I find this?
« on: 09 September, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
I 'think' this is what I need for the resprayed Dawes galaxy that I have. (Its an 80s version, I think).

I'll find some pictures of the original frame later to help with dating it, but meantime, I think I'm looking for a 126 OLN rear hub to take a 6 speed cassette.

Any clues or links?

thanks

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: 126mm OLN Campag rear hub for 6 speed block = where I find this?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »
Various old used Campag hubs can be found on eBay, but it wouldn't have to be Campag if using a screw-on freewheel.

Suntour Superbe Pro Screw on freewheel hub 36 Hole

Suntour Superbe Pro Screw-on Freewheel Hub

Or spring open the frame to insert a modern 130mm hub with an 8, 9 or 10-speed cassette.  This will work with an old-fashioned friction down tube lever if you don't want to upgrade that.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »
Usually Maillard hubs on a Galaxy of that era IIRC.  Suntour 2 prong freewheels in 70s / early 80s, possibly changing to Shimano splined freewheels (not the same as Shimano splined freehubs) later in 80s.

Are you looking for new or 2nd hand ?.    I might still have an old Maillard 126 mm hub that I'll send you for cost of postage and a pint as I've "sprung" my late 80's Galaxy (and my wife's) to accept 130mm wheels.  

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
"Springing" just means pulling the stays open each time to take a slightly wider hub than the frame was designed for.  "Spreading" aka "cold setting" is permanently bending the stays.  Either of these options is ok for most steel frames.  You might want to check for your particular tubing.  

Sheldon Brown - Bicycle Frame Spacing

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:45:01 pm »
I took a pair of Campag Record hub/Mavic & Campag rim 126mm 6-spd wheels off my Woodrup a short while back as part of my change to Shimano 600.

Can't remember what I've done with the wheels, but, if you're still interested, I'm sure we can come to an accommodation.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:54:36 pm »
Thanks for the thought - I'm hoping to get an unused hub to allow me the treat of a new wheel, and it deffo has to be Campag!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
Campoldy - "Small (low) flange quick release hubs 24/24, 36/36 126.5mm OLN  pr £150.00".

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2010, 10:07:57 pm »
Do you really mean a Campag hub to take a 6spd cassette or is it for a screw on freewheel? If the latter I have both new and used in 36hx126mm which i could be tempted to sell!

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »
doh! - I think I mean a freewheel, not a cassette (1980's =freewheel?), but I didn't think I meant £150.  I was rather thinking of some Victory hubs left lying somewhere with a remnant value of about 5/3d.

36 holes is what they were though...