Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 230871 times)

Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #450 on: 20 May, 2015, 10:40:41 pm »
Yes, we did - they charge a fiver. All the prices have gone up (last time I camped there, the landlord waved his hands and asked for two quid in the charity box, though I still put a fiver in) - it always felt fairly cheap, as I think they were underselling themselves, given they have a captive audience.

It was my mate's first cycle camping trip:

(He doesn't do lycra).

It's quite a good destination from here, cos although it was bastard hard getting up there into the wind, it was all downhill on the way back, with a massive tailwind. Actually, the Etape du Dales was coming up Arkengarthdale on the Sunday when we were going back home, and we both enjoyed seeing them struggle into the wind. A few riders were blown to a standstill.

The only problem with staying there is dealing with the hangover in the morning. The last thing I remember from Saturday night is my mate asking what time they stopped serving, and the barmaid replying that it was quarter to one, and they hadn't stopped yet.

Bombing down Sleightholme Moor shook the cobwebs away, though ;D

And that is the exact reason why I haven't stayed there yet, just don't trust myself  :D I've always dropped down to Muker or stayed in Hawes.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #451 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »
On the way back from the York Cycle Rally, somewhere around Nunburnholme on the SW edge of the Wolds. I'd stopped for a piccy, drink and breather as it's a bit lumpy to be hauling Saphira + camping gear up.  The view aross the flat land behind includes the 3 Yorks power stations along the M62 area, though Ferrybridge is lost in the distance and haze.
Ice Sprint FS, Radicaldesign small side pods, Ortlieb roller classics and MSR tent on top with my waterproofs. The white thing on the headrest is my high level light mount for a Cateye 1100, the dynamo light on the rack leaves little other space for a secondary light with luggage attached. M+ tyres have over 10000 miles on, though the tread is getting low.

York Cycle Rally 2015 by John Jackson, on Flickr

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #452 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:57:42 am »
Loaded for the off - A weekend away to help at the National 400

11755141_10153496418122486_349613486415278634_n by ian, on Flickr

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #453 on: 27 July, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »
Nice bike but let's try to remember the guidelines...

Brief is similar but not so rigid. 

1 - Try to post only photos of your bike in an obvious touring role (definitely none propped up against a blank garage wall).
2 - The photo should give a sense of your camping/touring trip.  The photo should have some merit without the bike in there.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #454 on: 27 July, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »
Stunning views at the top of Hartside...

daleftw-12.jpg by Dale FTW, on Flickr

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #455 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:11:02 pm »
Loaded for the off - A weekend away to help at the National 400

Nice bike but let's try to remember the guidelines...

Brief is similar but not so rigid. 

1 - Try to post only photos of your bike in an obvious touring role (definitely none propped up against a blank garage wall).
2 - The photo should give a sense of your camping/touring trip.  The photo should have some merit without the bike in there.

Stornoway Ferry Terminal and full bags - suggests I'm going somewhere further than 'rgate?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #456 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:15:56 pm »
Bit harsh, eh, LEE? ;)

It is a very, very fine bicycle, and I'd say it was (at least partially) loaded :)
Getting there...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #457 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
Loaded with sleeping bag, sleeping mat, evening wear (inc. espadrilles - much frowned upon by Mrs W.), extra cold/wet weather gear, next day socks/shorts/vest, food, tools and spares, medicine kit (sun cream, midge repellant, brufen, 1st aid etc.), other essentials, (head torch, spare batteries, phone charger, reading glasses etc.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #458 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:21:18 pm »
Yeah, it's a dull photo, but the fact it's a ferry terminal clearly qualifies.  Aesthetically not so different to the ubiquitous photos of "Welcome to $place" signs surrounded by little more than a bit of verge and some shite weather (as amply demonstrated by Dale), or of a notable plaque or something.  Surely, this is bikepr0n, not a photo competition?

"Fully loaded" is in the eye of a beholder.  I've no objection to lightweight bikepacking for credit-card touring, sensible off-roading or hard people who can sleep in audax hotels; it's all good.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #459 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:28:18 pm »
And this one belongs to a very well travelled Dutch woman who I met at the Tan Hill Inn. She's just got back from 8 months in Mongolia and China on it.

daleftw-8.jpg by Dale FTW, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #460 on: 27 July, 2015, 02:32:32 pm »
Sorry LEE that photo is as good as any Fully Loaded Touring Bikes photo in this thread. It is nice to see something else than a Welcome to X Town and a mile or so of verge behind.

Windy is clearly going somewhere, not that many places on Windy's back yard to go cycle touring if you live on the island and don't want to repeat your last trip :)

I dream about going touring in Scotland and the ferries will be a big part of that tour and one of the reason for why I want to go touring in Scotland.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #461 on: 27 July, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »
Yeah, IMO too it's aesthetically no duller than 'Welcome to... ' and the bike is both good looking in itself and well, but not heavily, loaded. Clearly, Windy is going or has been somewhere. The only quibble I could make is that Stornoway for Windy is perhaps a bit close to home – but ISTR I've posted a photo in here of my bike (with various panniers etc) against the wall of my house, so... (so, perhaps I should go back and delete that; but ICBA to find it).

Nevertheless, I think Lee does well to remind us of the guidelines for the thread, if only to prompt some more scenic photos.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #462 on: 27 July, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »

Nevertheless, I think Lee does well to remind us of the guidelines for the thread, if only to prompt some more scenic photos.

+1 to that

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #464 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:36:14 pm »

That looks horribly familiar.  One time we approached from the Alston side and it was as though someone had put the mist and murk in place with the aid of a ruler.  Bright sunshine to the east then BANG!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #465 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:07:01 pm »

Surely, this is bikepr0n, not a photo competition?

Well it was supposed to be Bike 'n' Location Pr0n as we have several galleries for nice bikes already.

Deano is Lord & Master of the perfect combo. (When he's not breaking up Tarmac using his body parts.  Get Well Soon Deano).

No qualms about the luggage content, this thread was intended for any amount of touring luggage (see OP) as a breakaway from the very strict rules of www.fullyloaded.com

I expect Windy will soon have a camera full of jealousy-inducing location Pr0n.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #466 on: 28 July, 2015, 09:34:10 am »
White shoes.^^ Sure sign of a MAMIL.  ;)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #467 on: 28 July, 2015, 09:51:11 am »

That looks horribly familiar.  One time we approached from the Alston side and it was as though someone had put the mist and murk in place with the aid of a ruler.  Bright sunshine to the east then BANG!

It looks horribly unfamiliar.  I have only ridden it once; at night in a howling gale.  The visibility was so poor and the wind so strong, I really couldn't tell whether I was going up or down, so missed the top completely!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #468 on: 03 August, 2015, 09:38:34 pm »

Deano is Lord & Master of the perfect combo. (When he's not breaking up Tarmac using his body parts.  Get Well Soon Deano).

Cheers, LEE!

Have another photo (breaks all the rules, but what the hell):

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #469 on: 11 October, 2015, 11:28:06 pm »

oh and

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #470 on: 12 October, 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
Under Mickle Fell on the Grains o'th'Beck road.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #471 on: 13 October, 2015, 01:56:07 pm »

Fully Laid-en.

The Harris Tweed with the deerstalker, please.

« Reply #472 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:23:02 pm »
Here's one from this week's Coast and Castles ride. (I'll do a ride report when I've got some time and have cut down a bit from 200 photos.)

It's an on-one inbred, with normal pannier-rack friendly chain-stay mounted disc brakes. I have bags that weren't on the bike, but that was enough to keep me going for a few days.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #473 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:38:14 pm »
Northwest Highlands 2015 051 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

A steel Dawes Horizon, and an aluminium Dawes Horizon, both blue, different vintages. 
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #474 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:53:52 pm »
You can't see the wind in that photo

Was wonderful up there though :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!