Author Topic: Suffolk suggestions  (Read 3458 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Suffolk suggestions
« Reply #25 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:23:26 pm »
It does still exist.  See Suffolk CTC list of venues.

Confess to feeling slightly hurt that people are referring to where-I-live as a dump, when they don't actually live there.  Please be more constructive.

I quite like Ipswich and I must say that I was quite surprised that it received the unfavourable comments above. I have very fond memories of the really excellent chess tournaments they used to run at the Corn Exchange/Town Hall, where my kids and some of my other students used to cast fear into the hearts of the opposition. I've also had a pretty good look around the town and it compares favourably to a lot of other towns that I know. It also has a pretty decent cycling infrastructure, although of course that, infamously, was where Annie (f)OTP was hauled over by the Old Bill for having bikes on the back of her car and given an on-the-spot fine. I think it was something to do with brake lights. That was after my first Dunwich Dynamo, so probably 2008. Regulator, Andrij and I were snoozing gently in each other's company at the time. Later in the day, Regulator's tyre exploded very noisily at Ipswich station.

Edit: Warrington Road, Ipswich, was possibly the strongest chess-playing road on the entire planet, given that Nicholas and Richard Pert lived there, as did Kevin O'Connell and the Orton family. One of the Perts won the World under-20 Championship, and Steve Orton and Kevin O'Connell were both very strong players easily County first team standard and quite stellar for a minor county, which Suffolk is from the chess-playing point of view.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:26:33 pm »
I've only been to Ipswich once. It was still quite early when I got there and I was tired, having ridden a bike (albeit one with a motor) to get there since about 4 o'clock (from Bath via Shepton Mallet, because stuff). I didn't see much of the town but I do recall it looking quite nice and the people seeming friendly. Norwich is prettier but for countryside my impression is Suffolk is prettier. Unless you're into boating of course.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27 on: 01 June, 2019, 04:53:47 am »
It does still exist.  See Suffolk CTC list of venues.

Confess to feeling slightly hurt that people are referring to where-I-live as a dump, when they don't actually live there.  Please be more constructive.

Hollowtrees certainly still exists. I was shopping there yesterday!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #28 on: 09 June, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »
Thank you very much for all your excellent suggestions!
I am now planning routes taking these into consideration. These will include the ferries up the coast, coming back inland north of Ipswich, a loop to the west/northwest past Colchester and a few loops up to the north/northwest taking in the pretty river valleys and medieval villages. I am looking at rides of about 6-7 hours including stops. Having looked at the terrain, I suspect this will work out at up to about 140km or so maximum...
I'm no stranger to climbing (usual rides in the local Peak district average 1000 to 2000m climbing for 50-100km rides with average speeds of 19-22kph); looking forward to the relative "flatness"  :D
No-one has mentioned the Brightlinsea/Clacton/Walton coast so I guess that is not worth visiting?
We'll be in Dedham for the week 16th-22nd June.

« Reply #29 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:13:25 am »

No-one has mentioned the Brightlinsea/Clacton/Walton coast so I guess that is not worth visiting?
We'll be in Dedham for the week 16th-22nd June.

Brightlingsea is OK, Clacton is naff, and Jaywick is simply horrible. And there are two busy main roads on the peninsula which are difficult to avoid.

The only route I'd recommend in that area is the B road from Manningtree towards Harwich, and you will probably go that way if you are ferry-hopping.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:41:33 pm »
Frinton/Walton is posher iirc
I quite like Clacton.  Horsley Cross/Thorpe-le-Soken as route there
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:22:56 pm »

I rather like the ride along that coast. It's a bit Sustran-sy but fine for pootling. Jaywick is interesting in a slightly voyeuristic way (and also for the history of the 1953 flood),  I've swum from the beach between Jaywick and Clacton, there is a seaside cafe I rather like that end of Clacton (greasy spoon genre), and if you must there is a Spoons just on the road behind the pier. As Arabella says Frinton is much posher, and then I guess Walton is a bit in between. It's worth going to Walton though to visit the Naze Tower which is pretty cool. There is a small charge to go up to the top, but the view is very good. There is also a tea room on the ground and first floor, and the rest is art gallery. I think it may not last too many more years due to coastal erosion so do go while you can (I am trying to see if I can build it into a DIY audax!)