Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391161 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #150 on: 04 September, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »
Am I correct in thinking that GPS files are the only way to get AAA points for a DIY?  I was rather hoping that contour counts could be submitted for scrutiny and points be validated that way.

Billy Weir

« Reply #151 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:14:35 pm »
It's GPS only.

The reason being that, AIUI, it would involve a disproproportionate amount of effort to validate AAA climbing by contour counting.

Billy Weir

« Reply #152 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:39:32 am »
Question for South East riders.

I'm plotting out a 200km hilly permanent for the south east (intending to list it formally if it works out and is a nice enough ride).  Ideally, it would have a physical control around Keston - to save me a ride/drive out and a random hunt, does anyone have any suggestions of petrol stations (with opening hours), shops ATMs etc?  I'm thinking Hayes, which look like it has some options?

PS.  Route is planned to be something like:
Edenbridge - Swanley - Langton Green - Battle - Mayfield - Forest Row - Keston - Edenbridge (c. 210km, 3AAA)

« Reply #153 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:55:27 am »
Question for South East riders.

I'm plotting out a 200km hilly permanent for the south east (intending to list it formally if it works out and is a nice enough ride).  Ideally, it would have a physical control around Keston - to save me a ride/drive out and a random hunt, does anyone have any suggestions of petrol stations (with opening hours), shops ATMs etc?  I'm thinking Hayes, which look like it has some options?

PS.  Route is planned to be something like:
Edenbridge - Swanley - Langton Green - Battle - Mayfield - Forest Row - Keston - Edenbridge (c. 210km, 3AAA)

From the Total web site http://www.total.co.uk/Uk/UkCorporate.nsf/VS_SWI/44FC72B48F3FD7D0C12573D70030B2FE?OpenDocument&:

HAYES SERVICE STATION
1 STATION APPROACH
HAYES
BROMLEY
Kent
BR2 7EQ
Click for Map
Store participating in the P9 Renault promotion
Services
Tyre air line
Opening Times
Mon - Fri:
12:00AM - 12:00AM
Saturday:
Sunday:
Open 24hrs a day, seven days a week.
Site features

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #154 on: 10 September, 2011, 05:27:29 pm »
I was in Hayes earlier today. How about here? Hayes would make a good control because of the transport links into central London.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Billy Weir

« Reply #155 on: 11 September, 2011, 07:03:24 am »
Thanks both.  Looks like the event is feasible.  I'll give the northern half of the ride a try out with a draft routesheet later this month.

Billy Weir

« Reply #156 on: 15 September, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »
Anyone know when ACP typically publish the list of French and, if done separately, global BRM events?

(I would like to see what 1000km events are being done next year before deciding whether or not to enter the Mille Alba.)

JohnHamilton

« Reply #157 on: 16 September, 2011, 09:49:18 am »
Anyone know when ACP typically publish the list of French and, if done separately, global BRM events?

January usually.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #158 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »
I am not yet a member of AUK but I intend to start a RRTY with the Upper Thames in November.  (I was confused by the difference between the events year and membership year when I decided to do this, but decided it is.)  Do I have to be an AUK member for the 12 months covered by the RRTY in order to claim the award (and badge!) or can a validated Brevet card for the Upper Thames count towards a RRTY if I join AUK in December?  I say December because I assume this would fall under the "although new members joining late in the year will be subscribed until the end of the following year" provision stated on the AUK website.

The remainder of the RRTY would be mostly DIY permanents by GPS (probably with some rides repeated) and some calendar events.  Am I correct in believing that this would be acceptable for a RRTY award?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Martin

« Reply #159 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »
can a validated Brevet card for the Upper Thames count towards a RRTY if I join AUK in December?  The remainder of the RRTY would be mostly DIY permanents by GPS (probably with some rides repeated) and some calendar events.  Am I correct in believing that this would be acceptable for a RRTY award?

I'm pretty sure you can claim back validation for rides in the season in which you join AUK; you need to keep your brevet cards though as not all events validate non-members online so there is not a central record

DIY by GPS; no problem for RRTY  :thumbsup:

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #160 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »
can a validated Brevet card for the Upper Thames count towards a RRTY if I join AUK in December?  The remainder of the RRTY would be mostly DIY permanents by GPS (probably with some rides repeated) and some calendar events.  Am I correct in believing that this would be acceptable for a RRTY award?

I'm pretty sure you can claim back validation for rides in the season in which you join AUK claim; you need to keep your brevet cards though as not all events validate non-members online so there is not a central record

DIY by GPS; no problem for RRTY  :thumbsup:

FTFY

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #161 on: 21 September, 2011, 10:26:06 am »
If you join AUK now, your membership runs until the end of 2012.  I know, because I've just done so.   :)

Martin

« Reply #162 on: 21 September, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »
If you join AUK now, your membership runs until the end of 2012.  I know, because I've just done so.   :)

if it runs out this year can we also renew it for 5 years at the current rate?

« Reply #163 on: 24 September, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
I have read the all questions audax section on the forum but found no guide.
I am due to do my first audax next month and have never been to one.
Silly question but are they well advertised locally to enable you to find them and what do you do when you get there?
I have never used a route sheet or riden with any time restrictions. Will the route sheet keep me awake all night!!???
Thanks

« Reply #164 on: 24 September, 2011, 12:27:16 pm »
Silly question but are they well advertised locally to enable you to find them

Not usually. The information you get from the organiser will give you directions to the start, and there is usually an Audax UK control sign outside the start building.

and what do you do when you get there?

At the start you'll normally see a table with brevet cards and plastic bags. Find your card, put it in a plastic bag. You don't normally have to tell the organiser that you are there - he'll know because your card has gone.

edit: you don't need to get a stamp at the start, having the brevet card proves you were there at the right time.

Make sure your bike is all ready to go, then grab a coffee and/or some food. Keep an eye on the time, the hall will suddenly empty a few minutes before the off, and without an announcement. People will be queuing up outside on their bikes ready for the organiser to tell them to go.

I have never used a route sheet or riden with any time restrictions. Will the route sheet keep me awake all night!!???
Thanks

It's pretty easy. Have you got a route sheet holder on your bars? That's by far the easiest way to handle them. I laminate the sheet to keep it dry, then use a bulldog clip on the stem to hold it in place, but there are many solutions to holding it. The worst is to keep it in your back pocket - it's difficult to refer to it.

Here's my routesheet holder - the white stuff is polymorph plastic, moulded to fit the stem perfectly. It is now covered in black tape to merge in with the stem, and held in place with a cable tie.

Remember to take a pen with you (for info controls) and some money for food. Don't be shy about telling people it's your first, they'll normally look after you.

Which ride are you on?

Edit: Welcome to YACF! Keep an eye out for YACF jerseys, it's an easy conversation opener to ask someone who they are on the forum. Similarly, if someone is wearing an Audax Cymru (white/green) or Audax England (predominantly red) jersey, there is a very good chance that they hang around here.

« Reply #165 on: 24 September, 2011, 01:33:54 pm »
what do you do when you get there?

Collect your brevet card, and eat and drink something.

I have never used a route sheet or ridden with any time restrictions.

As Matt said above, it's a good idea to attach the route sheet to your bike in some way, and to protect it from rain. A handlebar map holder works well, but some people just tape a plastic bag to the handlebars and put the route sheet in that.

Route sheets are usually pretty good, and on popular rides you can follow the other riders, but you ought to have a plan for what to do if you go off-route. This might be a GPS device, or a page torn from an old road atlas, but having a backup will give you peace of mind.

Don't worry too much about the time limit on your first audax. Save that for later rides when you know how it all works. Take it at a pace you know you can keep up all day, and enjoy the ride—it's supposed to be fun!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #166 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »

I am due to do my first audax next month and have never been to one.

which one?

ETA I see MattH has already asked;as you were :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #167 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »

Remember to take a pen with you (for info controls)

I prefer a pencil.It will write in the rain: a pen may not

« Reply #168 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »
...Will the route sheet keep me awake all night!!???...

How long is this first Audax event?

« Reply #169 on: 25 September, 2011, 08:15:34 pm »
Hi all
Thanks for your advice.
I have registered for the bala mini bash as its near.
I will proberbly use some form of clear plastic for the route as you have suggested and shown through the pics.
I think the reading/understanding of route sheets may take a bit to get used to.
Thanks for your advice and will keep an eye out for the audax 's you mentioned.

Afl2

« Reply #170 on: 26 September, 2011, 04:51:30 pm »
60km its the mini

border-rider

« Reply #171 on: 26 September, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »
I think the reading/understanding of route sheets may take a bit to get used to.

Hope not, but if you're confused on the day just ask a fellow rider. Probably a good way to break the ice anyway :)

« Reply #172 on: 26 September, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »
And to help with confidence with the routesheet, it is worth reading through it in advance, following the route on a map (like Google maps). You should get a copy a week or two before the ride.

If you do this, note that sometimes a turn that is obvious on the ground is less obvious on a map (e.g. it can be difficult on lanes to see which way at a junction is a turn, and which is straight on, following Google maps - unless you drop into street view).

Have fun!

« Reply #173 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »
For plotting routesheets on a map, I often find it easiest to find, on the map, the shortest route between two controls, then try to follow the route instructions. Usually it becomes obvious even when some instructions are not.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #174 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:49:47 pm »
RRTY question:  If you ride a 200k as an organiser ie: a week before the ride as a route check could you still claim that ride for the actual audax date.

The route check was done on the 29th of August & the Audax was in September.

I haven't done a September 200k yet & am plucking at straws, I may be able to get friday off work for a last minute 200.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.