Author Topic: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200  (Read 20472 times)

Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Reply #150 on: 16 April, 2024, 09:54:50 pm »
I added the controls for myself here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/261808609
If others want to use it, I think, this only works for Garmin devices and only using 'send to device'.

I don't take responsibility for misplaced controls! :)

Had a quick look and agree with your placements, apart from Denver Sluice info which needs to be earlier. I’d say between 131 and 132km where the Denver sluice is actually located and where I’ve put it in my own copy in Connect.

Personally thought the Route sheet described control locations well enough to place in online mapping software of your choice. East Winch info location is obvious if you bring up the track on the map and spot the short out and back. Ramsey is after the town and is the first left after 19km. Nordelph when you hit the left turn into A road with drainage channel on left and often loads of daffodils.

Thanks! Yes, I was not sure about the Denver Sluice when I tried to mark it. I didn't realise there was an actual Sluice (didn't know what it meant to be honest, [blush]). I repositioned it now.

« Reply #151 on: 16 April, 2024, 10:35:32 pm »
But thanks GdS for planning the route and organising! I look forward to the event! :)

yay, see you there! I'm ECEing - if you're riding to the event, we could ride back together? I'm using the A1307 path (old A14) for my ECE rather than the busway, just for a bit of variety.  ;D

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #152 on: Yesterday at 09:35:37 am »
Yeah, I know that's the traditional way. But I don't like the 'scavenger hunt' aspects involved. I just like to mindlessly cycle :) So for me, the best is a route file with control points and E-Brevet :) But a small part of me hates myself for these reasons, I'd like myself better if I liked the traditional way, but no, I like the modern way ;(
But thanks GdS for planning the route and organising! I look forward to the event! :)

Unfortunately the infos are required in order to a. bring the route up to distance b. avoid A roads in the area (there is just one after the start and a short section after Kings Lynn). I've tried to make them obvious, you pass a sign with the location just before each info. They've since renamed Denver Sluice Denver Complex although it's just 2 large locks where the Bedford Rivers join the Great Ouse. The info is very obvious once you see the question.

I also like the gpx aspect of routes, I found it allowed me to appreciate the scenery rather than a route sheet on the handlebars especially with lots of turns that I didn't have to look for and also at night. But gpx will never completely replace some sort of paper evidence (even if not actually printed) where instant validation is currently done using a brevet card.

I will try e-brevet next year but will check it works myself before the event.

« Reply #153 on: Yesterday at 11:38:45 am »
I was in shorts last weekend and 3/4s during this week. Looking at the forecast being northerly wind and temps not picking up much, think I might stick with 3/4s.  First world problems.

« Reply #154 on: Yesterday at 02:09:34 pm »

yay, see you there! I'm ECEing - if you're riding to the event, we could ride back together? I'm using the A1307 path (old A14) for my ECE rather than the busway, just for a bit of variety.  ;D

I plan to cycle to and back too, but not officially ECEing as I'd only have about 60km extra. As I understand, I'd need to get at least 300 total to have it as ECE?
Yes, would be happy to cycle back together and take an alternative to the busway. On my way there I plan to go on the busway though, as I live very close to Cambridge North station where the busway starts.
Will see how it goes, but see you there! :)

GdS

« Reply #155 on: Yesterday at 07:01:22 pm »

I plan to cycle to and back too, but not officially ECEing as I'd only have about 60km extra. As I understand, I'd need to get at least 300 total to have it as ECE?

Correct; you can have 250k if you ECE a sub 200k event under the new roolz but it's a minimum 100k extension for 200k events sorry  :(
(I'm also the ECE Man)

Note also, although the busway bit to St Ives is open it's still very skoggy with some shallow water, please take care when passing riders coming the other or even the same way

BBC weather suggests a gentle crosswind for the first half strengthening to a possible helpful N wind by Ely, but I always take their definition of wind with a pinch of salt for that region...

GdS

« Reply #156 on: Today at 12:13:57 pm »

« Reply #157 on: Today at 03:42:26 pm »
We will be at the church end of that field, correct?

GdS

« Reply #158 on: Today at 04:01:05 pm »
We will be at the church end of that field, correct?

no I think the photo is taken from the gap into the field where the info is. I would recommend going into the churchyard for a better view afterwards (I couldn't really put the info there), or there may be other gaps in the hedge. You won't see much from the A47 or the turn off it. I did see another large field on the route on the way to Wormegay after the A47 but it was literally being planted as I rode past.

I've never seen fully grown tulips at the location but there are many photos online with the church over the years

There also looked to be a field on the way from Gayton to East Winch  (after Back Lane) on the right near an airstrip on the left.  I have seen tulips here before (in 2019 and was going to send the 2020 route that way but Covid scuppered that). I think all the tulips are grown by Belmont Nurseries although not sure which fields they own if any. They may just rent the fields, not sure If they get used for anything else.

The Press only tend to show the field that's open for charity (and sold out within an hour) Although you can buy tulips at the open days I think all the ones in the fields get decapitated and they just keep the bulbs.

PS had an entry from Gavin so you won't be the only Darksider...

« Reply #159 on: Today at 06:41:19 pm »
Got it, so we head further up Church Lane for the info, then worth popping into churchyard on way back to get a better view. Train gets in about 7:50am all being well. Then round 1 way system to start for 8am.

GdS

« Reply #160 on: Today at 07:19:57 pm »
yes; I'm riding on the day but my helper will be at the start control for late starters until 0900  :thumbsup:

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #161 on: Today at 07:35:14 pm »
yes; I'm riding on the day but my helper will be at the start control for late starters until 0900  :thumbsup:
Excellent  :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #162 on: Today at 07:47:52 pm »
Having thought that wind only ever blows E or W looks like we are in for a N wind to Kings Lynn 17 kts  :'(
But it's looking very helpful for the second half  :)

« Reply #163 on: Today at 08:06:12 pm »
Classic headwind out, tailwind return kind of forecast.

MsG

« Reply #164 on: Today at 08:24:03 pm »
Ten Mile Bank is so much nicer with a tailwind    :D
It’s been NE wind for a few days now.  It’s mostly been SW so far this year.

Look out for the ROC post at the top of the hill descending from Littleport
https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/threads/roc-post-littleport-sept-2015.31711/

GdS

« Reply #165 on: Today at 08:41:54 pm »

Thanks Phil looks like the hardest bit is going to be from March to KL like my route check last month

nooo don't start me on ROCs, used to be in SubBrit

« Reply #166 on: Today at 08:56:54 pm »

I’ll be on an upwrong this time - chasing fixed gear points this season…

MsG

« Reply #167 on: Today at 09:34:50 pm »

Thanks Phil looks like the hardest bit is going to be from March to KL like my route check last month

nooo don't start me on ROCs, used to be in SubBrit

Oh I’m a mine of useless information!

MsG

« Reply #168 on: Today at 09:36:15 pm »

Hullo Gavin, you may remember me from night rides past  :)

« Reply #169 on: Today at 09:43:04 pm »

Hullo Gavin, you may remember me from night rides past  :)
I do indeed MsG :)

MsG

« Reply #170 on: Today at 09:56:42 pm »
Yeah, I know that's the traditional way. But I don't like the 'scavenger hunt' aspects involved. I just like to mindlessly cycle :) So for me, the best is a route file with control points and E-Brevet :) But a small part of me hates myself for these reasons, I'd like myself better if I liked the traditional way, but no, I like the modern way ;(

Unfortunately the infos are required in order to a. bring the route up to distance b. avoid A roads in the area (there is just one after the start and a short section after Kings Lynn). I've tried to make them obvious, you pass a sign with the location just before each info. They've since renamed Denver Sluice Denver Complex although it's just 2 large locks where the Bedford Rivers join the Great Ouse. The info is very obvious once you see the question.

I also like the gpx aspect of routes, I found it allowed me to appreciate the scenery rather than a route sheet on the handlebars especially with lots of turns that I didn't have to look for and also at night. But gpx will never completely replace some sort of paper evidence (even if not actually printed) where instant validation is currently done using a brevet card.

I will try e-brevet next year but will check it works myself before the event.

Suggestion for adding distance for future version. There’s a recently opened cyclepath from Landbeach to the Guided Busway. Turn left from Cottenham, down to Landbeach then a short section of farm road followed by smooth tarmac. The farm road is best avoided when the crops are lifted/ploughing but it’s currently rather pleasant. Under A14 bridge, and a wiggle by Orchard Park onto the busway.