Author Topic: Cash back credit card  (Read 1611 times)

Cash back credit card
« on: 22 January, 2023, 12:25:04 pm »
My Amazon credit card has expired and am unimpressed with the Coop card I have.  What should I go for?  Yonks ago I had an Amex that promised excellent cashback, but no one would accept it.  Is this still the case?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Cash back credit card
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2023, 02:25:40 pm »
I have an amex which I use for most things.  probably not accepted <5% of the time

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2023, 02:47:53 pm »
Didn't your Amazon card transfer to something else?  Mine did, though I had the option to decline, same provider, just without the Amazon link, branded as Pulse, can't remember the company behind it.  That seems to have more cashback offers than when it was Amazon, or they're pushing them more, I haven't used any, still keeping it just for occasional Amazon purchases.

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2023, 03:00:15 pm »
^I thought it would auto-transfer, but it didn't - hence my shopping about.  They were decent before so a possibility.

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2023, 03:03:37 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2023, 04:29:07 pm »
The new John Lewis card etc seems to be having a very bad press

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2023, 04:47:19 pm »
They fouled up the transition big time for a lot of people (not me), but card wise it seems well sorted (with app, 2FA for web transactions etc). The only slight hiccup I have had was when using with Google Pay, there were a couple of instances where it was declined (the card itself worked). Arguably, it might have been counter fraud measures kicking in.

felstedrider

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2023, 06:33:17 pm »
We’ve been Partnership Card customers for years.  The cutover to the new card could have been a little neater but it worked OK.  John Lewis vouchers are sent out every 4 months.  We save them up and use them on big purchases.

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2023, 06:58:31 pm »
The new JLP card is run by New Day the same outfit that used to run the Amazon card. They are not great, dog knows why JL chose them, it’s ended up pissing off a lot of long standing customers.

Most of the problems seem to be people being not accepted for the new day account. There’s a suspicion that they declined people who always paid in full, but reading the reviews it seems mostly people with no full time employment, retired, etc. despite having good credit ratings. If either is true it shows new day’s piss-poor procedures and JLP’s mismanagement of the contractual terms.

There are also complaints about poor customer service eg trying to report fraud. It’s new day, not surprising.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2023, 07:17:22 pm »
It may be both. I was not offered a new card despite paying off every credit card bill for 30 years on time.

felstedrider

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:13:47 pm »
We always paid off in full but I’m still in full time employment so maybe we ticked their boxes.

It was a faff carrying two cards (each) and then going through all of the websites that held all the details to get them updated.  The old service was with HSBC and I think JL had to find a new provider.

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2023, 09:13:27 pm »
I suspect that one part of the problem was that they hadn't adequately prepared for the inevitable end of life rush to move to the new card, that and the whole concept of reapplying for a card that you have (as far as the end user is concerned), pretty much an own goal.

On the other hand I have just been hugely impressed by HSBC systems. They pushed a notification of a new account launch they offered - a Global Account (ie, multi currency without conversion fees) which sounded excellent to me. I Read The Manual, as I was suspicious, but no, all the fees are £0. So I thought, go on, why not, this sounds useful. Click, click, set your pin, click,  click, would you like to add this card to Google Pay? click, click, done. Smooth, and top marks.

« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2023, 07:41:12 am »
Back to the OP
I use the Amex Cashback card for most things and it's linked to my PayPal account, for when that can't be used I use a Barclaycard Cashback card that I've had for years (not sure if it's still available). Overseas I was linking the Barclaycard to a Curve card. This all gives me 0.5% cashback.

But, recently I've been using the Chase current account for a lot of my spending which gives 1.0% cashback - it's not a credit facility, but I pay my credit cards in full so it's just a rejigging of the way I handle my finances. I also used the Chase card abroad as there's no obvious disadvantage on the fees or exchange rate.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2023, 05:53:34 pm »
This Chase card, 1% sounds a bit good (but I have no smart phone).  Does the 1% rate expire?

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2023, 08:41:03 pm »
This Chase card, 1% sounds a bit good (but I have no smart phone).  Does the 1% rate expire?

It's a debit card on a current account, and yes it expires after 12 months.

« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2023, 08:56:11 pm »
Is there a minimum deposit a month?  Otherwise, it sounds groovy

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2023, 09:19:09 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2023, 09:29:56 pm »
As per Ham's link above, the only one giving more than buttons as cash back is Amex. If your usual shopping is at Tesco/Sainsbo/Asda/Waitrose then get their card. Otherwise it's hardly worth bothering.