Author Topic: Best way to encrypt a USB pen/drive  (Read 1185 times)

Best way to encrypt a USB pen/drive
« on: 16 March, 2020, 12:43:41 pm »
I have a 64Gb USB drive I'd like to encrypt.  Can I use BitLocker on Windows 10?  Will this allow me to save docs to encrypted drive while working on PC?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: Best way to encrypt a USB pen/drive
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2020, 01:26:18 pm »
buy Mediaseal from Fortium

I would say that its my old company :-)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2020, 08:43:35 am »
I have a 64Gb USB drive I'd like to encrypt.  Can I use BitLocker on Windows 10?  Will this allow me to save docs to encrypted drive while working on PC?
Yes but not all versions of Windows 10 support BitLocker, or so Wikinacurate says. I thought all versions would read BitLocker but only blessed versions would encrypt a stick or write to it. I could be wrong, I'm trying very hard to know bugger all about Windows post 7

My preferred cross platform solution is VeraCrypt. Instead of encrypting the whole stick create an encrypted container of 60Gb and in the unencrypted space place the Windows and Linux (and Mac?) Portable executables.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:29:56 am »
+1 for VeraCrypt. Free, open source and cross platform.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2020, 12:59:19 pm »
Ok thanks all.

Will give VeraCrypt a shot.

Re: Best way to encrypt a USB pen/drive - VeraCrypt
« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2020, 03:30:51 pm »
Basically wondering how to create large sub-partition of the USB drive to encrypt.

With veracrypt (portable use), I couldn't see how to select a smaller partition of the USB drive.  I extracted (not installed) VC on to USB drive, and opened VC.exe
Options followed are
-Ecrypt a non-system partition drive.
-Standard VC vol
- then either Removable Disk 1 58GiB  OR  \Harddisk1\Partition1 E:  58GiB

Went with latter, but didn't see an option to create an encrypted vol of say 50GiB?  i.e. not the whole 58GiB. So didn't go ahead with format.

Any ideas?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2020, 05:15:14 pm »
To create the volume:
Create Volume -> Create an encrypted file container -> Standard VeraCrypt volume
Give it a path to a new filename on the stick. (you cannot encrypt an existing file this way)
Select your options -> Specify size (50GiB) - Specify filesystem -> wiggle mouse until progress bar is across screen or until bored -> Format -> wait.  When the progress bar reaches 100% wait some more while the usb system catches up with the file cache.

You should now have a 50GiB file on the stick

To mount the volume:
Back in the main Veracrypt screen select an empty 'slot' (or drive letter in windows) -> then click select file (not device) -> select the file created above -> open.  This, slightly confusingly doesn't open the volume, it takes you back to the main screen.  Click Mount, type password and that's it.  If a file browser window doesn't open automatically just double click on the 'slot' (or drive letter) in VeraCrypt main window.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:49:32 pm »
Thanks ST, that works.   :thumbsup: