Author Topic: 12 May 2018: Not Quite The Spurn Head (400 km) / The Old 240 (400 km)  (Read 3094 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Chris is running both the Not Quite The Spurn Head 400 and The Old 240 (which is also a 400) on 12th May.  I did the Three Coasts 600 last year and was surprised that it's a relatively straightforward trip from London up to Mytholmroyd and so have just booked train tickets so I can do one The Old 240 as it looks fantastic.

Chris: Will there be sleeping options at the community centre of the Friday night like there was before the Three Coasts?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

Re: 12 May 2018: Not Quite The Spurn Head (400 km) / The Old 240 (400 km)
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:06:58 pm »
6400 mt of climbing the weekend before BCM?  :o ::-)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:21:33 pm »
6400 mt of climbing the weekend before BCM?

It'll give me a chance to remember how to change gear.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:01:10 pm »
I have this pencilled in as my 400 - not sure which one yet though!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:07:51 pm »
I have this pencilled in as my 400 - not sure which one yet though!

I’ll be taking the left turn from the community centre again this year. The Old 240 is a tough route but very rewarding. Perfect warm up for BCM the weekend after!

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:38:14 pm »
Did the 240 a couple of years ago and it's still my favourite 400 route.  Pretty hard work in terms of climbing, but very rewarding.  The long climb out of Hebdon Bridge at dawn was a lovely way to warm the legs up, and many more spectacular views were to follow!  I think the best bit was the view out over the North Lakes from the Hartside climb:

Chris allowed us overnight use of the community centre in 2016; not sure if that has changed, though.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:39:09 pm »
Chris: Will there be sleeping options at the community centre of the Friday night like there was before the Three Coasts?

Yes, there will be sleeping accommodation (bring your own mat and sleeping bag) before and after the event, with a breakfast provided much too early, and some basic food afterwards, sandwiches, soup, that sort of thing.

αdαmsκι

Bag packed, train tickets collected, bike sorted. I've just got to get through six lessons before I can relax on the train up to Leeds & on to Mytholmroyd.

See people just after 8pm  :)

I'm doing the Not Quite.  My first attempt at a 400.  Where's the "terrified" smiley?

Have a good ride everybody - was hoping to join you for the old 240, for a trip without the rain and thunder!  As it happens, time has caught up with me and I have to go and do my own event route check.

I'm doing the Not Quite.  My first attempt at a 400.  Where's the "terrified" smiley?
It goes to Hull. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
The Actual Spurn Head 400 was my first attempt and finish. You'll be reet. (although missing out on the Lawrence of Arabia meets Paris-Roubaix experience of the spit road)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Out on a local pootle around the Yorkshire Wolds. Nice to spot NQTSH riders between North Cave and Brough. Waved hello. :)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Well NQtSH (greenfly edition) was certainly good 'homework' for the bike fit I've got in a couple of days. Thanks to Chris and his team for the as-ever excellent organisation, with bonus air beds. Cheers to Mike, Mike, Eddie and Carl (I think with a C) for company and dragging each other round that looong night.

And also, thank you to the lovely woman who works nights in Goole services McDonalds, who I remember from last year, who goes out of her way to look after us.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

I actually used to live in Hull and love the place, however, the route did go through the less desirable end.   TBH I'd rather just ride through the city centre.

But anyway, all went well.  Finished in just under 22 hours. By some fluke of nature, we had a tailwind all the way.  All in all, very enjoyable. :thumbsup: