Author Topic: Campagnolo record hubs  (Read 2601 times)

Campagnolo record hubs
« on: 13 June, 2020, 12:01:08 pm »
Is anyone out there running Campagnolo record hubs?
I'm just wondering how they stand up and how often they need to be serviced compared to cheaper sealed bearing hubs like Ambrosio or Miche.

I'm running a set of Veloce hubs which have sealed bearings, but I know from experience that is almost impossible to get the old bearings out, so will just replace the hubs when they finally wear out.

Re: Campagnolo record hubs
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:45:34 pm »
I have been using the slightly older silver Campagnolo Record hubs for several years now and never had a problem with them.  In fact I have four pairs of wheels with these hubs.  I have taken them apart in the past to lubricate and check the bearings and everything has always been fine.

I may be persuaded to sell a pair of wheels if interested.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:48:59 pm »
HK has a black set of Record hubs. The bearings are a pain in the arse compared to almost anything else.

The Miche Campag-compatible hubs need reasonably frequent bearing replacement but that is a ten minute job with beer in hand.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2020, 04:27:26 pm »
I used Record hubs for years, and also the similar Fulcrum variants - they were my main Audax and fast speoritve wheelsets. Loose bearing in delrin plastic cages.Bearings are quite small (3/32" or 4mm will suffice). Replaceable cones (very easy) and replaceable races inside the hubs (quite tricky to replace!). They were reliable and resonably well sealed, on the basis of an annual tear-down and service, replacing loos bearings, re-using the cages and cleaning with fresh grease. Problem was, on a lot of WET Wessex events, water would inevitably get into the bearings and ultimately cause corrosion, necessitiating the replacment of bearings, cones and sometime races (a real PITA). Dry climates, these eprform beutifully, but maybe not up to the English / British tempremental wet wether and riding conditions. Now using Hunt Wheels with their own sealed bearings; time will tell if these last longer...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2020, 06:43:05 pm »
If you want to push the boat out for high end hubs and want easy servicing, go Hope.  I believe they do a campag option and the bearings are easily accessible.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:38:57 am »
If you want to push the boat out for high end hubs and want easy servicing, go Hope.  I believe they do a campag option and the bearings are easily accessible.
Hope do a good campag version, but I have decided to go Campag. Hope are push in bearings and these were been replaced every year. Campag hubs were proving more reliable and bearings I found simpler to replace.

The Campag hubs are a thing of beauty.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2020, 05:56:22 pm »
If you want something even more beautiful try Chris King R45

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »
If you want something even more beautiful try Chris King R45
I can have three pairs of Campag hubs for one rear Chris King.....
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:01:21 am »
Thanks everyone. I'm still on the fence I guess. There's no way I'm buying Chris King. There was a pint when they did look a good option, but the pricing now is insane.
How about the likes of DT Swiss, any love for them?

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:43:00 pm »
Another reason to avoid Chris King is that they've discontinued the Campag freehub option.

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:53:41 pm »
Record hubs on a few bikes, never serviced them bar some grease into the hole under the clip. Changed to campag many years ago, met a cyclist on a winter run and asked why he was using good wheels in winter. Answer was my only wheels and this is the 3rd winter, i was converted 😁

« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:00:01 pm »
I have run with Record or NOS Centaur Century for about 5 years now.  No big issues having used in all 4 seasons in Ireland (not that there is much difference between them  ::-)).

The Centaur Century are practically the same as the Record, but don't have the oil hole.

I bought a spare front from this guy, super stupid VFM:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Campagnolo-Centaur-Century-Grey-32-Hole-Front-Hub-Road-Bike/283870803804?epid=13015724993&hash=item421804b75c:g:Ws8AAOSwlv9blqDx

PS, the Centaur look great on Ti bikes.