Author Topic: ACME Grand 1000km 02/09/2021  (Read 8749 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Grand 1000km 02/09/2021
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:06:45 pm »
I've updated the info on audax.uk.

Having a bit of an issue uploading the file of route sheet, info etc, so I will be emailing out to entrants soon, as it stands and uncorrected since last ridden in 2018 (and the new bits ridden/ driven in 2019). Of course a fully revised version will go out nearer the time, along with links to Wilkyboy's gps tracks on tomsk.co.uk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 29 July, 2021, 07:39:30 pm »
Initial email sent out to riders entered so far. Time to think about booking some accomodation - I'm going for Port Talbot Premier Inn on the second night and will probably take pot-luck on Towcester/St Neots on the third one ... or just push on.

« Reply #27 on: 30 July, 2021, 04:04:26 pm »
I have premier inn booked for 2 nd night in port talbert ,still in 2 minds whether to have a crack at this but have 3 days before to cancel that booking .I do have a few ex army freinds who live in wales so if I fail to make a control time ,I can get help after packing .However I do know wales  quite well especially around sennybridge etc and have climbed sarn Helen black mountain etc before on a mountain bike mind and when I was a lot younger :) my main issue is the length of time it takes me to get through main built up areas ....The third night should I get that far will be bivvi bag etc .

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2021, 11:43:43 pm »
... along with links to Wilkyboy's gps tracks on tomsk.co.uk

I've updated the GPS wotsits and it's all available here.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:00:12 am »
... and I just noticed that there's a village in Wales called "Halfway" just before halfway  ;D

« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2021, 03:22:51 pm »
... and I just noticed that there's a village in Wales called "Halfway" just before halfway  ;D
Near Llandovery?
Eddington Number 75

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2021, 03:49:01 pm »
Near Llandovery?

Yup.

« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:38:58 pm »
....and anyone from Sheffield will tell you that Wales and Halfway are about 2 miles apart.

« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:49:54 am »
....and anyone from Sheffield will tell you that Wales and Halfway are about 2 miles apart.

I grew up in Wales, hence my nickname of Yanto given to me by my workmates, I suppose it could have been worse and they could have called me Taffy. I could see Halfway across the Rother Valley from my bedroom window.

felstedrider

« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2021, 03:43:25 pm »
Last time round I got to Barry about 8/9pm and was pretty cooked.   I'm probably a bit behind then fitness-wise but I did stop a lot so this is probably still a feasible first stop.   I'll also try to do St Neots again to give an easy ride back on Sunday.

I haven't done many hills this year but have a lumpy 4 day tour planned for next week.   I did have an off last week which may affect that but I do seem to be recovering.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 30 August, 2021, 06:27:48 pm »
I've had a few 'issues' with AUKweb this week - riders dropping off the system altogether, and apparently some have already ridden it ...  ::-)

If anyone has been left out of the loop, please get in touch!

felstedrider

« Reply #36 on: 30 August, 2021, 08:28:38 pm »
I've had a few 'issues' with AUKweb this week - riders dropping off the system altogether, and apparently some have already ridden it ...  ::-)

If anyone has been left out of the loop, please get in touch!

It appeared on my results list for a few days but has no gone.

Sorry I have had to DNS.  Hope everyone enjoys the ride.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #37 on: 01 September, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »
Good luck to all riders and volunteers on the ACME Grand, may the skies and roads be clear.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 02 September, 2021, 10:26:18 pm »
Best of luck all. Hoping to catch a few of you at Buntingford on Sunday.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #39 on: 06 September, 2021, 03:50:08 pm »
Really enjoyed this ride, although I found it very tough in places.

Thursday, nice easy start into a modest northerly wind, fairly gentle countryside although the hills were enough to stop me sitting in a group after Buntingford, seeing various riders at the controls at St Neots and towcester and finally meeting Ian and Paul (again) at Tewkesbury to ride together down to Chepstow and then on to Magor services to grab a little rest indoors.

Friday
set off after being disturbed enough by people in the services and saw tge acme train asleep/resting on benches in Newport and then pushing through the hills to Tonypandy, it seems the acme group passed me when I used tesco express in Caerphilly as I was told by a local that a group were just ahead of me on the climb before pontypridd. I saw them just as I rejoined the road in Tonypandy and stayed with the group until Lampeter, although they all had better climbing legs than me. Discussion of leaving port Talbot at 4am the next day,  and then I crawled slowly back over the hills including black mountain just before sunset. Getting list in Neath and getting to bed at 10pm, setting a 3:40 alarm was painfull.

Saturday
Woke at 5:35, grateful I'd missed the group as I needed the sleep. Rushed to Barry worried about the time limit, reaching the control with 10 minutes in hand,  wishing I had left earlier,  but also knowing that the hills would have prevented me keeping up with the group anyway. Across Cardiff Bay and then the flat roads to Magor  now a group would have been welcome with the wind relentlessly from the east. Met Jack at chepstow, he had started before me but after the group, then the next set of hills in the first of Dean, with additional stops at Coleford and tewsbury before following the Avon to the next control at pershore, and beyond. Nice flat Mike's to build a time buffer. If I don't make Towcester with 3 hours in hand  there is no point stopping for a sleep at St Neots.
Quick feed at McDs, but outside as doors locked at 10pm (so much for open 24 hours) then on through the night. Caught sight of metal tubing and leather in the ditch in Salcey forest, was that a crashed motorbike? Looped round for a second look, no just some fly tipped furniture GRRRRR. Caught Tom and companion who had been dropping me on hills all day Friday and pushed on heading for my bed in St Neots.

Sunday
After getting listvin St Neots trying to reach the route without going all the way back to the town centre (should have just used the dual carriageway) I rushed to Buntingford and met Phil W and friend meeting acme grand audaxers and taking photos. Don't worry they said you have loads of time,  it's easy from here to Witham, but I think they were npt accounting for the heat (where did that come from) the easterly wind or the complete inability of my legs to go up any hills at a reasonable pace. After stopping again at Felsted for more water and ice cream, I reached arrivee with 25 minutes in hand,  ordered lunch and drinks and forgot to collect a receipt. I think I'm ok on this one,  I was sitting chatting with the organiser.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 06 September, 2021, 04:03:19 pm »
Still got a lot of loose ends to tie up, with postal finish and all that. One crash to report, but not too serious thankfully. One other DNF I've heard about, the rest got round in time ... with varying amounts of sleep deprivation.

The weather was kind though - cool and grey outbound with a light tailwind, mild at night, then the sun came through for the climb up the Black Mountain on Friday evening. Saturday was quite warm and in the end the threatened headwind wasn't too bad. The clear skies meant Saturday night was pretty cold though: the 'early doors' at Towcester McDonalds wasn't appreciated ... By Sunday's late breakfast at Witham Spoons we were getting very warm - summer is back!

A very hearty Chapeau! to all successful riders and thanks for your company on a Grand adventure.

Really enjoyed this ride, although I found it very tough in places ...

... and forgot to collect a receipt. I think I'm ok on this one, I was sitting chatting with the organiser.

For saying nice things about the ride and the cash bribe, I will validate your ride.  ;D

« Reply #41 on: 06 September, 2021, 07:43:35 pm »
Got some photos from Buntingford which I’ll email across to Tomsk to forward on.

I believe we missed Tomsk’s group at Buntingford by about 30 mins.  Most riders were quicker this year than during the heat wave of the first edition.  Mind the first edition also saw a high attrition rate.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #42 on: 14 September, 2021, 09:59:36 am »
Looks like the finishers list is now updated to only those who did indeed finish.  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the exciting medal.  I also qualify for one of the desirable Essex SR series medals. How do I go about claiming that?

Thinking back to the highlights of this ride
Rhigos and black mountain (even though I climb poorly I enjoy it and the views are spectacular. Also fantastic descents)  The rhonda cycle path. Cardiff Bay, the nice easy section along the Avon perfect for tired riders to recover after 400 hilly kilometres

Lows -  the tough urban climb in Newport outbound and the bridge to nowhere.  The fierce climb near Kineton and the driver in Witham trying to take me out 1 mile from the finish,  close passing me on a left bend when I wanted to turn right

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2021, 04:11:57 pm »
Brevet card and medal/badge received in the post today.
 :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2021, 12:45:10 pm »
... I also qualify for one of the desirable Essex SR series medals. How do I go about claiming that? ...

I'll go through my records at the end of the season to see who qualifies and get in touch. We're combining the Mid-Essex Legendary Epiphany Extravaganza with the awards evening. Almost certainly on the second weekend of 2022 (8/9th Jan) at the Compasses. (And semi-outdoors in the tent, rather than all cramming into the snug and steamy Green Room as pre-Covid.) Bring your LockDown jackets, people! Camping and b&b at the pub etc. Any who can't attend will have their medals and trophies posted.

2021 year bars are on order for the ESR medal, due in a month or so: non-attendees would have theirs mailed in time for Christmas ...