Author Topic: Advice needed - New Perm Validation by GPS Only  (Read 1013 times)

Advice needed - New Perm Validation by GPS Only
« on: 24 September, 2021, 04:12:28 pm »
I'd like to register this ride https://cycle.travel/map/journey/252007as a new perm but am having trouble identifying suitable commercial controls that will ensure the AAA integrity of the ride.  So, I figured that validation by GPS only would be a good alternative option but have had no response to this query from AUK.  I would have just gone ahead and submitted the route for approval but the submission form requires control points to be listed?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Re: Advice needed - New Perm Validation by GPS Only
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2021, 04:23:44 pm »
If there is a problem with lack of commercial outlets at the locations, you also have the e-brevet as option.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2021, 06:23:57 pm »
I don't believe you are allowed to offer perms as gps or ebrevet only validation.

While you can offer these options, there needs to also be the option for old school proof of passage preferably 24hr ones.

The removal of info's from Perms made this significantly trickier in examples like yours.

Best bet is to speak to the Perm Secretary about your proposed route and controls.

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2021, 10:01:28 pm »
There’s no requirement for the controls to enforce AAA.

In that part of the world I doubt you can meaningfully avoid doing a similar amount of  climbing to the intended route.

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
I think main issue is that the route can be significantly shortened unless infos are present.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2021, 10:10:19 pm »
There’s no requirement for the controls to enforce AAA.
In that part of the world I doubt you can meaningfully avoid doing a similar amount of  climbing to the intended route.
Well until the OP shares the control sites, your doubts are without firm foundation.
Berrynarbor or the coast A road?
And Phil is likely right (depending on where the controls are): in which case this isn't an AAA issue, really.

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2021, 11:14:16 am »
Thanks for the replies and confirming that validation by GPS only is not an option.  As the ride is under 200km I will look at adding some info controls as per the Perm Event proforma which states "Grimpeur events of less than 200km may include Information controls where they are necessary to maintain AAA integrity."
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas