Author Topic: Rubber front suspension bellows for Moulton APB  (Read 1039 times)

Rubber front suspension bellows for Moulton APB
« on: 28 April, 2021, 07:27:21 pm »
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these, please?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Rubber front suspension bellows for Moulton APB
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2021, 07:40:31 pm »
They haven’t been available for a fair while (decades?). Most folk who are looking to maintain the appearance fit a random automotive rubber bellows that vaguely looks similar. The TSR front suspension is largely the same as the APB (interchangeable, depending on the APB’s age) and incorporates a wiper seal in place of the bellows. That requires replacement of a few associated bits though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:21:52 pm »
Thanks for reply LW&B.
I'm not to bothered about how it looks as long as there is something that does the same job. Is the job of the bellows just to keep muck away from the sliding bits up the head tube?
If so, I think I could sew up a nylon gaiter.

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2021, 10:18:52 pm »
I did wonder if the bellows fitted to the bike were original as they didn’t seem like a great fit. I didn’t know the bellow-less Moulton models (which existed before and after the APB!) had a wiper seal though.

One thought that occurs is that the current Moulton XTB is also fitted with bellows over the front suspension, so maybe Moulton could supply one?

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:21:37 am »
I did wonder if the bellows fitted to the bike were original as they didn’t seem like a great fit. I didn’t know the bellow-less Moulton models (which existed before and after the APB!) had a wiper seal though.

One thought that occurs is that the current Moulton XTB is also fitted with bellows over the front suspension, so maybe Moulton could supply one?
Thanks Gavin,
I will explore that.

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:25:06 am »
Spoke to Dan Farrell at Moulton on Friday and it turns out that the new XTB rubber bellows was designed to also fit the APB's.
If you have a later APB the bore of the fixed fork is smaller and will take the later wiper seal making a bellows unnecessary.
Mine is a member of the 12th July 1996 batch so it needs a bellows.
Ordered and paid by phone - £18.50 incl P&P - and it arrived by Royal Mail on Saturday morning and it is now on the forks.
It was lovely to be working on a bike again.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:43:49 am »
it turns out that the new XTB rubber bellows was designed to also fit the APB's.

Great news  :thumbsup: