Author Topic: Reccomend me a tent  (Read 13024 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Reccomend me a tent
« on: 22 February, 2009, 04:53:42 pm »
TC Jr. has expressed an interest in camping. I want to encourage this - so will be getting a tent to use when the weather is a little warmer. It will be just him and me, cos the ladies of the house would rather pull out their own eyes with a rusty spoon.

Will probably also be used for the YACF weekend if I end up going.

Looked online, and the choice is overwhelming with few resources I have been able to find with objective comparisons.

Requirements:
2 sleeping compartments + living area (he is more likely to maintain interest if he has his own space)
Robust - good for more than a year.
Easy/quick to put up
Waterproof
Sewn in groundsheet

Budget is probably not a huge limitation - up to around £300.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Reccomend me a tent
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:22:38 pm »
Are you planning to carry this on the bikes? If so I think the two sleeping compartments might be a problem. You are not likely to get that in any lightweight two person tent. The Hillibergs (sp) have huge porch areas but making your son sleep in the porch is probably not the right thing to do. Some of the big outdoor shops like Costwolds have tent events around the country, if you took him to one of them he might help you choose and the separate compartment might not come into it.

tonycollinet

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
Won't be used on biking trips - strictly car only, so tent weight is not an issue.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Recommend me a tent
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »
Some of the Real Campers will be a long soon. Butterfly knows a thing or two about the noble art.

She kindly lent me a Hilleborg Nallo last year, and it was fantastic. Easy to pitch, enough room for Mrs. Wow and me, light, and I'm certain 100% waterproof, although when we used it, surprisingly for 2008 the weather was dry.

Amazon have got them at £330. It's a lot of money but it's a brilliant tent.

Edit: Ah! You can probably get something cheaper than the Nallo then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
Won't be used on biking trips - strictly car only, so tent weight is not an issue.
In that case it isn't really my field of expertise. However, I would strongly recommend that you avoid the huge cheap dome tents that look like fantastic value for money but blow down at the first puff of wind. I have seen more than one of these come to an untimely end whilst we have been snug in our little two person North Face home.

« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:43:52 pm »
Coleman tents are good for spring / summer / autumn camping. Ours kept us dry in  a huge storm in the Lake District. Ours is a three man with living area that you can stand up in teh middle of and can take a small collapsible table and chairs. The down side is that they are quite heavy, not suitable for hiking or cycling with but for car camping they are good budget tents. With have had ours five years so far with no problems. I can also highly recommend Coleman inflatable mattresses if you are car camping. Make it so much more comfy and they are robust. We have two a double and a single and they have been used loads of times when Pcolbeck Junior has friends for a sleepover as well. Make sure you get a battery powered inflater though as they would take ages to inflate / deflate with a foot pump.
There are loads of fancy super light  / suitable for a camping in the Himalayas in Winter type tents out there but they are expensive and for family type car camping I wouldn't bother with the expense a cheaper tent will do fine. Invest in some heavier gage tent pegs though as has been pointed out these tents do presnet a fair amount of area to the wind.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:28:54 pm »
Weight no object? 

I'd look for a cotton frame tent if such still exist.  We have a small ten year old one with sleeping compartment plus small kitchen area.  Luxury.  Far less condensation than the horrid synthetic one we bought because it was 'quick erect' and quickly sold on.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:34:23 pm »
Having used this a few times now I love it: Vango Beta (450) Tent it's cheap too but the ground sheet isn't sewn in. You can make it lighter by opting for carbon poles. Which the change you can buy decent sleeping bags + accessories. Or two decent single tents lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:43:14 pm »
I think you should talk to your son about what he has in mind. Maybe you already have, but if he's picturing a funky little tent and then is faced with a big multi-roomed palace, then he might be disappointed? But of course, he might want the big one, with his own room - just better to be sure. I think the idea of two tents might work well.

But of course, we're all weirdo cyclists used to small tents, and other people do like the big ones! And I have to admit I have sat on damp days, watching people sit at tables in the 'living room' of their tent, and wished I was there instead of my teeny wee home!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:46:30 pm »
Weight no object? 

I'd look for a cotton frame tent if such still exist.  We have a small ten year old one with sleeping compartment plus small kitchen area.  Luxury.  Far less condensation than the horrid synthetic one we bought because it was 'quick erect' and quickly sold on.

Vango Vango Mk 4 Std - Product Reviews - OUTDOORSmagic
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:07:50 pm »
I think you should talk to your son about what he has in mind. Maybe you already have, but if he's picturing a funky little tent and then is faced with a big multi-roomed palace, then he might be disappointed? But of course, he might want the big one, with his own room - just better to be sure. I think the idea of two tents might work well.

But of course, we're all weirdo cyclists used to small tents, and other people do like the big ones! And I have to admit I have sat on damp days, watching people sit at tables in the 'living room' of their tent, and wished I was there instead of my teeny wee home!

I don't think the tent being too large will be a problem. His most recent camping experience was with his friend and family. Being definitely of the well off variety they live in an actual mansion - (the hall of hall drive!) and take a mini version of it camping - I think it has 6 rooms!! When I discussed getting a tent he did NOT say "oh that tent was much too big"

gordon taylor

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:10:24 pm »
In your circumstances I wouldn't get a tent with two compartments - but I might get two small identical tents instead. So he would have a little tent ready if he wanted to go off on his own.

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:18:23 pm »
We have a Vango Equinox TBS  600 (I think!).  It has been great.  We bought it about 7 years ago and have used it at least once a year for up to 2 weeks at a time, and usually 2 or 3 times a year.  It is very sturdy (has seen its fair share of rain and high wind) and is quick and easy to put up.  They say it is a 6 man tent, but you would need to be very good friends to sleep 6 in it, but for a family of 4 (including two teenagers) it is fine.  The quality of the materials seems good, and the tension band system (TBS) makes the tent very stable in high winds; although it does restrict the internal space a bit, but you can disconect the straps when not needed and fold them away.

The advantage of one big tent over two smaller ones is that if it should happen to rain then you have a reasonable area in which you can sit, cook and eat.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:12:01 am »
I am sure Butterfly will be able to give experter advice shortly, but last year we compromised for a novice camper by having a lightweight two bedroom tent at York.  It was quite inexpensive, and began to suffer when the gaales started blowing (but then, the display tents were blowing away and one marquee collapsed, so I'm not too critical).

OK, not the lightest of things, but small enough to be fun rather than a canvas palace.

Now that Superstoker has decided that he likes the Hilleberg ::-) , we may be able to lend it to you this season...
Getting there...

richie_b

« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:41:36 am »
TC Jr. has expressed an interest in camping. I want to encourage this - so will be getting a tent to use when the weather is a little warmer. It will be just him and me, cos the ladies of the house would rather pull out their own eyes with a rusty spoon.

Will probably also be used for the YACF weekend if I end up going.

Looked online, and the choice is overwhelming with few resources I have been able to find with objective comparisons.

Requirements:
2 sleeping compartments + living area (he is more likely to maintain interest if he has his own space)
Robust - good for more than a year.
Easy/quick to put up
Waterproof
Sewn in groundsheet

Budget is probably not a huge limitation - up to around £300.

I have a 3 bedroom and living area tent that's been unused for a few years and little used before that, if you're interested...  It's 17.5kg, so it's no lightweight, but it'd prob fit your needs.
PM me if you're interested & I can give you details

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2009, 02:28:47 pm »
If you have a Decathlon near by, then it would be worth looking at their tent range.  They have some fantastic tents available at bargain prices.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #16 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »
Another Vango Equinox TBS  600 here. I think it has been superceeded, but we have been very happy with ours and have used it for cycle camping. It is quite heavy (about 10kg) but has plenty of room for a family of five and all their kit. I am 6'4" and can stand up inside. It is massive and we have at times had a tandem, a triplet and two trailers inside the porch, yet still had room for five of us to sit down and eat.

Zoe outside the portable mansion.

Inside - a very tired and cold Mrs Chris warms up with a cuppa.

Packed up (the green bag on the trailer)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:08:49 pm »
Blimey!   :o

That's not a tent - it's a marquee!   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »
If you really need a cycle camping tent with 2 totally separate bedrooms then consider 2 smallish, quality tents.  Eventually it will be a more flexible option having 2 tents.

Something like a Vango Spirit Lite 200 TBS each . (£145 on line)

Personally I love the regular Spirit 200 as it has a superb porch which would come into its own in poor weather.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »
Is that coffee that yellow-ceitidh's drinking?  It looks like she's about to do a Larrington  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:20:28 pm »
If you do have two small tents, and small is anxious about being separated, then you could use a tarp between the two to give a bit of sheltered common space.
Getting there...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #21 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:26:35 pm »
Is that coffee that yellow-ceitidh's drinking?  It looks like she's about to do a Larrington  :D

Probably - with caffine pills instead of artificial sweeteners!

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:34:48 pm »
If you do have two small tents, and small is anxious about being separated, then you could use a tarp between the two to give a bit of sheltered common space.

..and cook bacon under it (like me at Wyke Down camp site previously)

A tarp is definitely useful when you have a real 1-man tent like my Coleman Viper.

(Can anyone smell that bacon?)

tonycollinet

« Reply #23 on: 23 February, 2009, 06:16:57 pm »
Again - I don't intend cycle camping with it.

However, I have a local offer of a tent loan now, so will try this first to ensure TC Jr does not change his mind. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 23 February, 2009, 06:30:50 pm »
Blimey!   :o

That's not a tent - it's a marquee!   ;)

Noooo it has more in common with the bloody Dome lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium