Author Topic: Something to light a Coleman splodey stove  (Read 2199 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Something to light a Coleman splodey stove
« on: 17 August, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »
...as Charlotte calls them. 

Matches tend to blow out as it takes two hands to strike them and then you have to hold the match to the burner and then turn on the stove (do it the other way round and Bad Stuff happens because the stove floods).

A Swedish steel thing won't work as you need two hands to strike it and, again, you can't turn the stove on first.

So what I'm after is a spark device or a steel which can be operated with one hand and, ideally, keeps my fingers well clear of the initial inferno before the generator tube heats up and starts producing vapour instead of liquid fuel.  And obviously it must be as small and light as possible.  Suggestions?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Something to light a Coleman splodey stove
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2010, 08:49:10 pm »
For my MSR liquid fuel stove:
I turn it on, let a bit of fuel into the stove, then turn it off.
Then light that, and let it burn down a bit to preheat it, before turning the fuel on again.

This means I can use both hands for the lighting, so I can use a firesteel or matches.
This is what the instructions say to do, and it usually works fine. Just make sure you don't let too much fuel into the stove at first, otherwise it can go woosh a bit when you light it... About a teaspoon is enough.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2010, 09:17:27 pm »
My 550B settles down within about 10 seconds if it's behaving itself, but you do get a big bowl of flames during that time.  It's quite good fun as long as the wind doesn't get hold of it.  Coleman's instructions say to hold a match at the burner and turn on the tap.

I have the option to run it on paraffin, which is safer and a lot more economical, but smellier.  Paraffin also requires pre-heating paste or something more flammable in the bowl (meths or white gas) to get it going, Primus-style.

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:13:09 pm »
Climbing stores used to sell turbo lighters, often with an attachment to use them as a hot knife. Usually burn butane, so refills are easy to get.

I have a butane soldering iron/blowtorch that works in a similar way. Nearly impossible for the wind to blow out, great flame.

http://www.turboflame.co.uk/
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:19:36 pm »
A blast match might do the trick, as it's one-handed.  You need something to push it against, though.

Survival & Emergency - SURVIVAL Blast MATCH Fire Starter  

I think your best bet is a cheapo kitchen stove gas lighter - the kind with a four inch extension to keep your fingers clear of the flame.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
Just take one of these with you.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »
Ordinary storm match works for me.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:24:31 pm »
I ended up with a 99p Chef Aid* lighter from Wilko.  Brilliant - because the stove ignites immediately, there's no flooding and it settles down to a blue flame in seconds.  I cooked my tea on it  :)

*sounds like a gig Bob Geldof would put on for the starving Hestons and Gordons of this world