Author Topic: Cheap Tent  (Read 3809 times)

Cheap Tent
« on: 23 July, 2008, 09:06:52 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap 2 person tent. Only need it for one night. I have had a look at those pop up tents. What they are like? Are they waterproof?

Re: Cheap Tent
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:15:15 pm »
Just about any of the packages from Millets, Halfords etc will be suitable for one night.

Are they waterproof? The fabric should be, depends how well the seams are sealed. At less than £50 for a tent, mats and sleeping bags you shouldn't expect Northface quality.  You could but the sleeping bag inside a big black bin bag just in case.  Should keep you dry and help build up a good sweat as well.

Sadly I have no personal experience of these packages but they do have some appeal for a night or short weekend.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:22:25 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap 2 person tent. Only need it for one night. I have had a look at those pop up tents. What they are like? Are they waterproof?

The pop up tents are very easy to assemble; almost as easy to put back together once you are confident that it won't snap; no idea how waterproof they are I only used it in France.

Some of the cheap tents didn't used to have very waterproof seams.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2008, 12:29:44 am »
a cheap tent kit from halfords will do you for one night. But that said you can pick up a semi decent Vango 2 berth for around £40.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:33:15 am »
(A bit OT but funny) Ms Weasel in the past edited some of those 'Stupid Signs' books you've probably seen, or had examples of emailed to you.  One of her favourites was a sale sign in a camping store:

"Now is the winter of our discount tents"

« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:40:31 am »
Fistly, unless you're car camping or very very small then you'll probably find a 2 man tent a tad cramped.  Go for a 3 man if you can.

Do a search on ebay for Vango 3 man tent or similar so you get something of reasonable quality secondhand which will last much longer than a new cheap tent and be better too of curse.   Naturally there are other quality brands too such as Coleman but you could spend all day searching teh brands.

And, if its' quality and you're not keeping it, selling it on will be a piece of cake.

Alternatively, can you borrow some kit for just one night?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:45:24 am »

By pop up you mean the throw them and they open up?

If so try putting it back in its packaging before you buy it.

If its for one night borrow one from a mate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2008, 01:04:36 pm »
Kids' Pop-up tents fold up like you fold a cycle tyre; make 3 loops then fold inwards.
I suspect adults' tent may be similar.

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:31:53 pm »
Thanks for the advice. We will be car camping so won't have to store our gear in the tent. The other thing that just occurred to me is that as it is a wedding that we are going to, which is in a marque, then if the weather gets bad we can just put our tent in the marque and jobs a good un  ;D.

I had thought of trying to borrow one but I fancy doing a bit of back garden camping with my five year old over the school hols so will probably buy one.

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:34:39 pm »
fleabay decent brands then if I was you.

« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »
Tesco, double skinned 2 man tent. They haven't sold many because of the poor weather earlier this year so they've reduced them to £10.

They're OK quality.

« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2008, 08:07:28 am »
Try Decathlon or GO Outdoors if you have one near, both have sales on I believe

Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2008, 08:35:31 am »
Try Decathlon or GO Outdoors if you have one near, both have sales on I believe

Go Outdoors definitely have an online sale at the moment as we took advantage of it yesterday

bikebagg

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:56:28 pm »

I have a Quecha 3.  Used it in the Pyrenees in Thunder lightning storms with torrential rain.  No leakage whatsoever.  Dont buy the cheap imitation ones in England get the real Quecha.  I got mine from Decathlon.  I have a few tents and this was the cheapest and  is the one I like best.  It is just a great design and fun.

If you want a good second hand tent I have a Vango Equinox 4 which is the same as the current Vango Equinox 350.  FAntastic quality but would cost more than a Quecha.  The only problem with Quecha is that it does not roll up but comes in disc format, bit like a folding tyre in a bag, and could be difficult to pack.  Impossible to cycle camp if that is your idea.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:45:17 am »
Tesco's three man double skinned tent: £19.98 online and in stock.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor