Author Topic: Dry January  (Read 12244 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Dry January
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »
Thanks for that post HM.I can't cope with permanent abstinence ATM but one month is about doable .For me it's an attack of gout that's made me question my booze intake.If I am successful I will re-address my drinking.I do like my real ale and red wine though.

Hope your gout improves soon! Sounds very painful!

« Reply #26 on: 01 January, 2013, 12:52:58 am »
And I know I said no midweek drinking but this doesn't count as it's still last night until I've had a sleep..so there!  ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 01 January, 2013, 01:18:58 am »
I actually had a drink at the very tail end of December.
David & I shared an alco-pop from the cupboard to welcome the New Year.
Bottle stated 'Best Before 31 December 2005'.

LindaG

« Reply #28 on: 01 January, 2013, 04:53:16 am »
I'm in.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 01 January, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
National campaign.
We won't be alone!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20880957

Toady

« Reply #30 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:21:33 am »
Well, I was up bright and early after our new year's party as usual, doing the clearing up (taxi service and early morning clean-up ... such is the curse of the teetotaller ;) ) - and I was pleased to note that the number of bottles was just high, not alamingly high as in years past.

Good luck to all doing this.  I hope it can be interesting and uplifting experience as well as a health benefit.

btw I don't view it in the negative way as being like "binge dieting" - which is harmful in itself - at all, (although I do see Bedlow's point that if there is a serious problem then a month off may not necessarily be much long term use) for a habitual drinker it can be nice to experience different ways of being - just to experience life without the dead weight of alcohol - and for the light drinker it's a few extra quid saved, and some calories not consumed.

I've chosen permanent abstinence, and I like it.  As I see it, a month of it can only be a good thing, so best wishes and HNY to all. 

Hope that doesn't sound too earnest and tambourine bashing.

LindaG

« Reply #31 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:29:44 am »
Hope that doesn't sound too earnest and tambourine bashing.

Not at all.  Thanks for the support Toady.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
I can't say I am in for this (especially as I had two pints yesterday) but one thing this and the previous abstaining has shown me is that I can get through several weeks with only having a pint or two on the social rides.  No longer do I "need" to drink at home during the week, or even at a weekend.  When I get thirsty on an evening now I don't reach for the alcohol, but get a glass of water (and another and another, repeat ad infinitum, I can drink A LOT of water in an evening).

I feel better on a morning, only having to overcome tiredness, not tiredness and a hangover.

I'm not sure my mood has improved, time will tell.

Weight improvement? I dunno as I never weigh myself.

Good luck to all those that are doing this, I wish you all the best.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #33 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:08:09 am »
Im in , but this is something I do every  january

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:54:16 am »
Well. I'm afraid I indulged hugely on NYE. There are an embarrassing number of empties in the kitchen  :facepalm:.

I got my punishment; I was really useless on our DIY 200 on the tandem yesterday, but that meant we weren't back until later in the evening which is past my "thirsty" time, so day one wasn't a problem.

« Reply #35 on: 02 January, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »
Told all my family what I am doing and was asked if I was doing it for a charity ::-)Poured 3/4 off a bottle of wine down the sink yesterday and gave my last 4 bottles up to be donated for raffle prizes. No booze in the house now.Even went out on my bike today.Ive hardly rode at all since October. :-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 02 January, 2013, 05:56:03 pm »
I have booze in the house; it's been here for YEARS...

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:10:15 pm »
While I am not doing the charity thing, I am indeed going to shoot for a dry January. Its a big deal given my generally high intake, but my overall health & fitness has become so diabolical that it feels like a kickstart is needed. I suspect thgough that a more long term reduction of intake is whats needed.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #38 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:21:03 pm »
That's how I view things like Dry January, or Detox diets. A kick start to re-set old habits to something better. Good luck, and welcome aboard Tigerrrrrrr.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:21:00 am »
I won' t be laying off this weekend but sometime in the early hours of Sunday morning will be drawing a line under the booze until Posties birthday (in Feb).

H

« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »
I started on the 2nd Jan, so far so good.

What are The Panel's thoughts on low-alcohol beer ?

My local does Erdinger which is 0.5%.
On my visits so far I've had decaf coffee (better than the normal  :o )and then a lime and soda but I'm not sure what I would have had if I'd stayed for another drink.
I only tend to drink cola a couple of times a year, the "juices" are too sweet and the other alternative is Dandelion and Burdock.
I'd keep the Erdinger in reserve because I'm not too keen on the taste.

« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:57:44 pm »
Personally I wouldn't. In the same way I don't like fake sugar, part of the point is to do without, not fake it.

That said, my alcoholic drink of choice is either clear fluids when I'm 'going for it' or ginger beer. I'm still drinking non alcoholic ginger beer.

« Reply #42 on: 06 January, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »
I don't think low alcohol drinks should be allowed. It's like quitting smoking, but using e-cigs instead.

Going for low alcohol does not address the issues that abstinence should be.

Good luck all, luckily I am blessed with a condition called "allinmoderation". ;)

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
So. Five Six days, and going well. Longest I've been Dry for a year.

Had a few weeks during the year that were Very Norty, and had eased back to <40 units a week in the run-up to the 1st.

Had my first booze-dream last night. When I stopped smoking, I had smoking dreams and woke up in a sweat thinking I'd caved. Drinking dreams are similar.

Anyway - back to work tomorrow. After-work bottle of red/six pack is an entrenched habit that needs breaking.

« Reply #44 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »
Becks Blue for a no beer beer.

I haven't yet but really ought to!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:12:37 am »
I don't think low alcohol drinks should be allowed. It's like quitting smoking, but using e-cigs instead.

Going for low alcohol does not address the issues that abstinence should be.

Good luck all, luckily I am blessed with a condition called "allinmoderation". ;)

I think low alcohol and e-cigs can help ease the giving up/cutting down process or replace a social ritual with one which is less bad for the person.  A good friend of mine has had to give up cigs for medical reasons after years of failed quitting and is finding e-cigs extremely helpful in a virtually zero cig count for the last 6 months as they were always a fluctuating smoker and now "nothing" has to equal nothing.  They're dealing with the psychological stuff but that's on top of a lot of headmess so it isn't going to be fast.

Low alcohol beer is often really expensive but still looks and feels socially like a beer and perhaps stands out less than lemonade or coke or whatever non-booze options there are. Might invite less comment from people as well.

I also believe 'stop smoking' orgs are fans of alternative nicotine sources and I'm starting to see loads of e-cig adverts around the place which is interesting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:01:42 am »
Whatever works.
Getting there...

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
This ^^^

Learning how to not drink whilst at the pub is difficult. I've been sticking to slimline tonics with a slice but I've only been in pubs over the weekend for an hour at most. Figuring out what else to drink to stay for an evening is not easy. If you can use Dry January to try different things and learn what you do and don't like can mean that you've learnt you don't have to drink every time you go to the pub - I would see this as part of learning to change behaviour for the future. For me at least this will probably be one of the most valuable lessons.

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:04:35 pm »
Finding this more of a struggle than I thought.Today's the anniversary of my Dads death and a bottle of wine would be a comfort,but managed to negotiate the supermarket without picking any booze up and for me that's half the battle.There's a folk night on Thursday and I have decided to give it a miss,it's easier that way.I am drinking ginger beer and iced tea as a nice alternative.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #49 on: 09 January, 2013, 10:29:51 pm »
How is everyone getting on?  Feeling better and keeping on top of the challenge or really struggling and wishing you hadn't signed up?
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/